SBG oil filter review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBG oil filter review

What thread was that in ? Or just give me the answer to what brand to use . Thanks
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Oil Filter Inspection.Is the ACDelco oil filter better than the Wix oil filter? Which one would you use? Let's open them up and see what's inside!ACDelco UPF...
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Thanks. Now if I could just get you to do all the research for part numbers to basically mack my 2000 3500 HD a close of the 1 year only combination of the NV4500 + the 8.1. I do have the flywheel bolts on their way from rock auto . Unfortunately I have found that the vortec 7.4 and the vortec 8.1 don't share the same engine brakes. Of which I ordered and it took a week to get . Special order , no return
      Oh well , only $30 . Thanks again for the filter info .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Suck too be A GM Guy..........

Just Saying.... Click image for larger version

Name:	hot-rod-blood-shot-eye-design-engine-blower-display-rd-annual-rockabillaque-held-city-park-north-charleston-62373881.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1331831
        Last edited by Captain; January 23, 2023, 10:30 PM.

Comment

as far as oil filter... I like K&N - but they don't make their filter for all cars. Fun thing about the Wix, it seems there is varying quality - some are really good, others, not so much....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            as far as oil filter... I like K&N
            SOLD and thanks for the info! I just now ordered oil filters for Red direct from K&N. They were on sale with free shipping for orders over $25. Win! But they don't have oil filters for Bluebelle.​ www.knfilters.com
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

K & N here.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I guess I will try a K&N. The filter for this car is tiny . I mean I know it is only a hopped up by ford 2.3l turbo , but with The manual and oil life thing on dash claiming ten thousand miles between oil changes . I would have thought they use a filter the size of a old ford 302 v8 filter not one that is 3" by 3" .
                I would never try going ten thousand miles . I change it every year because the last few years it hasn't gone even 1600 miles a year.
                Most of my vehicles get changed every 3500 miles. Yes I know today's oil is better and can go longer. Oil is cheap compared to an engine.
                Last edited by 2020 mustang; January 25, 2023, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2020 mustang View Post
                  I guess I will try a K&N. The filter for this car is tiny . I mean I know it is only a hopped up by ford 2.3l turbo , but with The manual and oil life thing on dash claiming ten thousand miles between oil changes . I would have thought they use a filter the size of a old ford 302 v8 filter not one that is 3" by 3" .
                  I would never try going ten thousand miles . I change it every year because the last few years it hasn't gone even 1600 miles a year.
                  Most of my vehicles get changed every 3500 miles. Yes I know today's oil is better and can go longer. Oil is cheap compared to an engine.
                  On some engines, measure the sealing gasket, and the threads to screw on. And search for larger oil filters that have that base, and some info on Full Flow w/bypass, (Almost all are now this type) or external bypass ( most were
                  cartage filter replacement kits).

Example. The Ford Filter that was used Forever, will replace the tiny filter on the Toyota 22R series engines.

Other, chime in if you have tried this. Good, Bad, or Otherwise

Comment

I use Motorcraft for the Mustang, WIX for the Caddy and Fram for everything else. I also use synthetic oil and shoot for a 3,000 mile change interval.
                    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                    79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I use WIX on everything, 2010 Tundra, 1970 Polara, 1990 Chevy 496 ci,1976 Chevelle. Never use synthetic in anything change oil every 5000 miles or once a year whichever comes first.
                      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                        I use WIX on everything, 2010 Tundra, 1970 Polara, 1990 Chevy 496 ci,1976 Chevelle. Never use synthetic in anything change oil every 5000 miles or once a year whichever comes first.
                        WIX all the way for me also but change oil every 3000 in 49 Ford, 55&57 Chevy.

Comment

Originally posted by stroker al View Post

WIX all the way for me also but change oil every 3000 in 49 Ford, 55&57 Chevy.
                          the thing that didn't make it across from my original thread was that I was shocked at the problem. I used Wix pretty much exclusively.

Comment

A Wix dealer once told me that their filters have a hidden problem: they are so efficient at stopping micro-pollutants that they go into bypass almost immediately after installation. He did not recommend them for that reason.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                              A Wix dealer once told me that their filters have a hidden problem: they are so efficient at stopping micro-pollutants that they go into bypass almost immediately after installation. He did not recommend them for that reason.
                              I'm not sure why he'd make that claim... watch a few of these videos and you'll see there is precious little difference between quality filters. Same pore size, same density, same length of filter media... there are differences, but they're all within about 2% of each other as far as filtration, design and robustness (that is, the thickness of the can). Or put another way, how you treat your engine makes far more difference to longevity then filters.

That said, 'cheap' filters like Fram's base filter with its cardboard pressure valve... yeah, those are great for people who use Pennzoil.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 27, 2023, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X