Borg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borg

No this is not something about Star Trek. It's about an article I saw in the news today. BORG is an acronym for: black out rage gallon, the latest drinking craze on our college and university campuses. It seems that the kids are sort of safety conscious and have come up with a method of drinking themselves into oblivion with some control over the contents of the swill they swallow.

Starting with a gallon jug, add alcohol of choice, whatever additives they have, and drink themselves blind.

Which brings us to the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say. Back when my older brother was in college, and it was quite a few decades ago, as in late 60s, his fraternity had a tradition of pooling their booze for the semester return weekend blast. Literally pooling it! Like in taking a big washtub, pouring a bottle each in the tub, cutting up a whole lot of fruit and mixing it all together. They may have added other stuff on occasion, I wouldn't know, not having been old enough to be there.

This mixture, named CranBam, was consumed by all over that first weekend of the semester. Usually there was at least half left over by Monday. And of course it was decanted back into the bottles. Put away, it was not touched again until the last brother had finished finals for the semester, whereupon another blowout took place. My brother brought some home one year and I have to tell you, it was GOOD! Well at least 15 or 16 years old me thought it was...

So I guess what's old is new again...

BTW, my brother also introduced me to FADC, Friday Afternoon Drinking Club. And when I eventually went to college I started a chapter at UMass Amherst. One of my brighter moments.

Here it was called a "Wapatoolie".....
    Depending on the Volume of the Donated
    Bottles of BOOZE, A 25 quart or 40 quart
    Milk Can was used.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
      Here it was called a "Wapatoolie".....
      Depending on the Volume of the Donated
      Bottles of BOOZE, A 25 quart or 40 quart
      Milk Can was used.
      Wapatoolie! Beautiful... I remember Lil' Abner, and Grannie's kickapoo joy juice. I imagine that was derived from a similar experience by the cartoonist.

So here's the question: whom amongst us had similar traditions either in college or extracurricular i.e. after work, in the service or whatever.

Comment

In the early 90s we called it the "Purple Jesus" party. Random booze and mix in a tub or vat of some kind.
        1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
        1997 Mustang GT
        sigpic

Comment

JUNGLE JUICE.
          plastic kiddie pool, whatever booze people brought,
          a case or 5-6 bottles (2 liters) of sprite/7up, a gallon
          of malolo syrup (usually fruit punch flavor) a couple
          bags of ice, and a few half gallons of rainbow sherbert
          bobbing around and melting.....

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
            JUNGLE JUICE.