American cars with sunroof.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American cars with sunroof.

Started a thread in a norwegian forum for american cars,about american cars with sunroofs.I wanted pics opf cars with this rare options.Over here,it was delivered a lot of american cars with sunroofs from the dealer.Because of high taxes,the american cars had to compete with cars equipped with sunroofs(mercedes-Bmw-Rolls-Jaguar).

So dealers offered this rare option,and i guess some where installed in the US too.1960 Thunderbird-1968 Cougar had sunroof on their option list.

Lots of pics already in this thread.

Re: American cars with sunroof.

87 grand national with an astroroof is pretty rare

Comment

Some friends in NY have a 70 Cougar Eliminator, factory sunroof car. One of just over a hundred made that way, originally a Hertz rental car. Have to see if I can dig up some pics, it looks pretty sharp in Competition Orange (same as Ford Calypso Coral) with black Elim stripes.

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Hole in roof.............................water in car. >
        They?ve been nothing but bad news for me,
        on a brand new car as well, the drain tubes on all four
        corners blocked up.
        > >

Comment

Originally posted by malc
          Hole in roof.............................water in car. >
          They?ve been nothing but bad news for me,
          on a brand new car as well, the drain tubes on all four
          corners blocked up.
          > >
          vingar once a year.. fixes the drain cloging from mold and other junk..
          light ait pressure also.. 10psi and a rubber tipped blow(air) gun

Comment

My Wagonaire has the sunroof in the back....

like this one -
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

sunroof drains - warped glass - bad seals
              sunroofs and wet headliners -a fact of life

Comment

sunroof drains - warped glass - bad seals
                sunroofs and wet headliners -a fact of life
                Mine doesn't leak.
                Keep the seals clean and lock it tight - you're good to go.
                (even after 43 years)
                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Arild, didn't we have a thread about this not too long ago? Or is my memory fading? In any case, this is a fantastic topic, and you know I'm a huge fan of factory sunroofs, and have learned a lot from your research on these cars which are as rare as hen's teeth. For the record, I had just such an electric sunroof on my 73 Monte Carlo S which was stolen in Alabama 15 years ago, never recovered. That sunroof never leaked a bit, and was as tight as a drum. It was a good idea to close it at speeds over 110 mph to equalize the pressure inside the car, however. I loved cruising with the roof open and listening to the steady burbling of the pro-street cam in that car. What a symphony. I also found and bought another Monte, this time a Y-code 74 Landau with swivel buckets and the sky roof (what other options could one possibly want?), and it's all original down to the paint. It doesn't leak either.

BTW, great thread over there...I need to brush up on my Norwegian!
                  President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

and toyota can't make a car without pinched drain hoses [NUMMI]

Comment

Studebaker Skytops are rather rare. The were made in the '60's and were roof openings that were covered with a sliding fabric cover, like the European sunroofs of the '50's and '60's.

Comment

Just spotted this 1966 Toronado yesterday at a car show here in Warsaw. It's all original, even the paint, as far as I can tell. The sunroof, beyond being rare as hen's teeth, is exceptional in the fact that it is made of glass, which I didn't know was used until the mid-70s in some cars. The markings on the sunroof glass are identical to those on the rest of the car's glass, so I'm convinced it's original. You can see one of my Montes is in the background.

Comment

Havent seen one of those with sunroofs before...Is it just imoprted??.Do you know any history??

Comment

There is a Scrapyard in South-West Phila called 'Venice Auto Parts',anyway,those guys have a 67 Caddy Coupe-D'Ville with one of those Electric Roofs(the Car has NO Vinyl Top,so it stands out a bit when you look at it....).The Car itself is rusted up pretty bad,and somebody bought the Drivetrain out of it,the Interior is almost all there still. There's also a REAL-DEAL '71 Nova SS-350 with the rare 'Sky-Top' folding Roof,but like the Cad,the Drivetrain is gone. The Body is saveable,and the Car has a clear Title,but the Yard owners plan on keeping it & fixing it up one day :. This Nova also has a Black Vinyl Roof wich isin't all that 'Bubbled' at all,but,if they keep it outside too much longer :P. One of the Landlord's Worker's has a Red '76 Monte-Carlo with the Steel(and painted Body-Colour...)Sunroof. Mr Lowery(Jim's His name.....this guy also has a HUGE Car collection in His own right... ;D...)simply bought it off some old coloured guy who had it customized,with GOLD PLATED Crager 5-Spokes,Gold Plated Bumpers,Headlight Bezels,Exhaust Tips ;D :o,you name it,it's GOT IT. Jim origionally bought it for the 400-2V,but His Son like the dumb thing soooo much He simply caved in & kept it. It's got the origional White Interior,along with the Swivel Buckets,8-Trak Player,CB Radio ;D :o and..........a 'dummy' Contentianal Kit on the Trunk also in Gold Plate ;D! It's real piece of shit,but it's actually quite solid....I'd drive it,and watch my neighbors FLIP ;D!! ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                              Havent seen one of those with sunroofs before...Is it just imoprted??.Do you know any history??
                              I don't really know anything of its history except for a what I heard during a brief encounter with its present owner, who said it came from either California or Florida (he couldn't remember off-hand). Judging from the license plate, it's been in Poland at least 5-6 years, but it could have been here much longer (though it's highly doubtful it was imported earlier than 1989). I took a picture of the VIN plate, if anyone would care to decode it; I didn't see any other import tags like you'd expect to see if it had been produced for export or imported when new. So I assume it originated in the US and came here recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X