Junior the Mower's replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain View Post
    I did some Fast Math, and now Hire Out my Lawn Mowing. It takes 5 Years just at the cost of the mower,
    No less, gas, belts, blades, etc.
    And have 2+ hours of time to do anything I Want.
    I don't know what anybody charges to cut grass but I'll bet you're probably right on getting the mower paid for if it's not even longer than that. I'll do it for as long as I'm able or until I decide I'd rather watch somebody else do it. It's been a part of life and it's a good brainless task that when you get through with it you can look at it for some instant gratification (for a few days). We've got not much of a yard so it ain't that big of a deal time-wise to run over it.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
      Hey P-dub!
      I made in to the 2 minute mark in the video and that's a total abort. First you gotta have an engine that will run. I'm too old to go for fastest lap of the day pushing the racing mower. Hey that makes me think...maybe the military would be interested in using Junior for PT at boot camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

rather then the sound a mower makes it Florida when it chops up another anaconda.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I read a thing the other day that was written by somebody who is very likely considered to be an authority on something, probably somewhere within the "save the world" spectrum. The piece stated (probably quite seriously within that audience) that the smell of fresh cut grass is actually the cut blades of grass sending a distress signal out to the other blades of grass to warn them that they have been injured and danger is nearby.
          and this, folks, is how we have learned helplessness.... can you imagine the utter fear that you're going to get your head chopped off but you cannot run away? well, if you were grass you'd know.

Comment

I did some Fast Math, and now Hire Out my Lawn Mowing. It takes 5 Years just at the cost of the mower,
            Yeah, Dad wanted to buy a new riding mower. I used math to show him it was cheaper to pay one of the grandsons $20 every 2 weeks for 5 years. Dad went for it, and so did the grandson.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Are you sure that is not a Transformer?

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                Junior's had it. Well, I've had it with Junior. He sounds like he's throwing a rod and he's making smoke and won't run more than a few seconds. I put a new carburetor on him and it didn't help at all. That's all the messing I'm gonna do on a 15 year old mower. I reckon 15 years is a decent lifespan for a rider. So, meet The Hornet, a Cub Cadet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0281.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1334604

I was wanting a 42 inch hydrostatic drive to replace Junior, like in kind. After some shopping and research I went with the Cub Cadet just because I like the way the controls are laid out. The John Deere is barely a little bit more expensive but very similar and from walking back and forth between them and studying them I chose the Cub Cadet because I liked it better. Just my preference, and mowers have come a long way in 15 years so I'm pleased with what I brought home. So I'm driving home with The Hornet in the back of Bubba the Truck and I look in the mirror and...from all the looking and studying controls and features, I never noticed...this dadgum thing has a damn Camaro front end on it.

Name:	100_0284.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1334605
                Reminds me of a new chevy truck ! Come to think about it , that would look great being hauled around in a new black chevy truck .
                I believe most of the lawn equipment you by at a big box store is made by MTD . So yeah , just by the one that has the color you want or the control layout you like best.
                I'm a 70s-80s Cub Cadet guy .
                congrats of the new toy .......err .......I mean yard equipment.
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by ratpatrol66 View Post
                  Are you sure that is not a Transformer?
                  Perfect .. with that color scheme, you should christen him "Bumblebee" !

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                    Our John Deere has the gas tank under the seat - is that better?
                    Supposed to be safer. The idea is that if any gas spills from a tank about the hot engine (like say, refilling before letting the engine cool) a fire is more likely.

Comment

It also allows the tank to be larger in most cases....
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Supposed to be safer. The idea is that if any gas spills from a tank about the hot engine (like say, refilling before letting the engine cool) a fire is more likely.
                        Yep. That appears to be one of the things they've addressed in recent years. The Hornet's got a 3 gallon tank under the hood but it fills from the outside with the hood closed.

Name:	Hornet Gas.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1334696

Comment

I really don't get this. I mow almost 3 acres - and the fuel tank capacity means could pretty much do it twice.... it gets filled when I start (and oil checked) - thus, I don't get this.... granted, I'm not a fan of plastic fuel tanks because if you do have a fire, it's going to be far worse if the tank melts...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I really don't get this. I mow almost 3 acres - and the fuel tank capacity means could pretty much do it twice.... it gets filled when I start (and oil checked) - thus, I don't get this.... granted, I'm not a fan of plastic fuel tanks because if you do have a fire, it's going to be far worse if the tank melts...
                            People do the hot engine refill thing. You're right - there's no reason. But I suppose folks don't fill before the start of the mowing session and run out half way thru? Nonetheless, those fires have happened.

Comment

So, no " Bumblebee" ?

Comment

People do the hot engine refill thing. You're right - there's no reason. But I suppose folks don't fill before the start of the mowing session and run out half way thru? Nonetheless, those fires have happened.
                                you say Darwin Award like it's a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X