Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dog advice needed - Just lost 1 of 2 - Get a pup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog advice needed - Just lost 1 of 2 - Get a pup?

We lost the black&tan one a month ago and the black one is a bit depressed (and so are we). We've had them both for about 12 years and got them both as pups (German Shepherds). My wife and I are debating whether a new pup would cheer up or further depress the semi-skittish old black one. She (the dog, not the wife) has been a bit too mean to other dogs coming over since Buddy died, but we think she might warm up if we forced her to deal with it for a while and supervised them closely. Our vet, who knows the dogs fairly well, things it has a 50/50 chance of going either way. I'm kind of leaning toward keeping our attention on our one old dog instead of adding a puppy to the mix (the kids already have hamsters, fish, and a bunny, none of which I like in the least).

Does anyone with any experience with a similar situation have any advice to share?

Tampa, FL

Re: Dog advice needed - Just lost 1 of 2 - Get a pup?

From what you have said, I wouldn't push it and suggest you spend the years you have left, with the black German Shepherd you have now.
    You can think about getting another puppy once she has passed on.

This is always a hard decision, that is based upon many things.
    The companion Buddy was to her, cannot be replaced and she is going to let you know that.

Good luck ...
    ;)

Comment

I had a dog that was raise alone, and would not get along with other dogs - not violently, just harass the poor other dog until it ran away and was kept by the 'rescuers' (long, cute story). Currently, I have two dogs that were raised with companion dogs and they are not good alone.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Sorry to hear about your pup. We lost one a couple weeks ago too. The other two acted weird for a little while but they seem to be ok now.

That being said, it might be too much stress on your other dog to introduce a puppy into the mix. If it were me, I'd just enjoy the time you have left together.
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

We have 2 dogs and several cats. I would not introduce a new puppy at this time. As the others have said, it'll be too much stress for your present dog having do deal with an energetic pup who's trying to establish dominance or to make his mark.

Sorry to hear about your loss. My Assie is 12 and our little black mix is 9. The two are just about inseparable.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

When we had to put down our Rottweiler six years ago, our other dog went into a deep depression. She would not eat, whined all of the time and it kept getting worse. We went to a animal rescue and found another dog approx. her age. It took a couple of days for her to accept the new dog, but it did work out for us.

We are getting ready to go through this again. We had to put down our Rhodesian Ridgeback yesterday. He broke his leg Friday evening and when they took x-rays we discovered that the reason his leg broke is that the bone was ate away with cancer. So she has started whinning again, but so far she is still eating. We are not sure if we want to get her another companion since she is at least 13 years old already.

If you get another dog, you may want to consider a older dog. Sometimes a older dog does not have the patience to deal with a highly energetic puppy.
            1964 Chevelle
            Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
            LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
              From what you have said, I wouldn't push it and suggest you spend the years you have left, with the black German Shepherd you have now.
              You can think about getting another puppy once she has passed on.

This is always a hard decision, that is based upon many things.
              The companion Buddy was to her, cannot be replaced and she is going to let you know that.

Good luck ...
              ;)

am in a similar situation, this is the way we decided to go. I got an old collie, an 3 yr old Golden and our 5 yr old lab died, the skittish golden was lost but shes okay now, the collie didnt care...the golden is actualy a better dog now that the lab has passed...we all still miss him tho
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm getting a message that's consistent with my head and opposite what I want to do. I think I'll do my best to keep the wife from bringing home a pup. I don't think I have the heart to get another older big dog that's going to pass away soon.

I think I agree with most that it's best to let her have her last years on her own with as much attention as we can give her. I can tell you one thing - kids make it a lot easier, especially when they aren't as heartbroken as you about the loss. It still makes me lose it when our 4 year old girls runs up to me when she wakes up in the morning telling me Buddy is alive and playing in heaven having fun, but they're enough of a distraction that I'm not constantly missing the big guy.
                Tampa, FL

Comment

It's tough man. They bring so much joy, frustration and fun into our lives that there is a huge void left when they finally go. Just remember, you gave him as much joy as he gave you.
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

On the bright side, I can get rid of the dozen deflated basketballs lying around (the black one can catch one in her mouth without popping it).

It definitely is tough.
                    Tampa, FL

Comment

I'd wait. Your other pup is probably just as sad as you for losing her best friend and companion. When she is better and had got on with her life, then, maybe get a new one.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

We lost a very close dog last year and were heartbroken over it. We still have three other dogs, but the boss lady still took in another dog a while back. I resented that dog. He ended up getting sick and had to be put down as well. To me, that's all I needed to make up my mind. We love the three dogs we're left with and will never be able to replace Chance. Ruger was unfortunate that he could not fill Chance's spot in the house and unfortunately died before he was able to really leave his mark. For us, it's time to let the herd thin naturally. Although we don't want to loose any of them, it will happen and we will deal with it at that time. We'll worry about getting new dogs when that happens.

Sorry for your loss, brother. I know how hard it is.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice - Focusing the time we had left with our 1 dog seemed to be the right move. She ended up getting pretty sick soon after and passed away last week. When they were both gone, it's amazing how quiet a house with 2 kids (4 & 6), 2 hamsters, a rabbit, and bunch of fish got!

Well quiet time is done. Here's Bucky and Madison (8 weeks old):

They'll never be our old dogs, but they do an awesome job of filling the hole left from the other ones passing away.

Time to see if I can get those granny plastic seat covers for my Chevelle. ;D
                          Tampa, FL

Comment

Sorry to hear about the loss Mark . Good looking pups you got there.
                            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Mark, glad to hear that the last days were good ones and happy to learn that you have moved on.
                              Bucky and Madison look like great companions.
                              I can tell Bucky is a German Shepherd cause he looks just like Max the day we brought him home,
                              .. but not sure about Madison.
                              Tell us more ...
                              ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X