No announcement yet.

Ford vs. Chevy; 8pax SUV Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone near enough Nashville to take a look at a 2012 2500 in Hermitage?

Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

After trying to find a <200k mile 2500 within budget, even unsuccessfully trying to buy one in CO and drive it back to TX, we went with low mileage 1500 that was local. It's a 2013 GMC Yukon XL SLT RWD with 106k miles. It's not perfect, the list of GMT900 usual failures is about 50% with the dash being cracked and some other ones and it's got some oddball ones like the rear washer hose being disconnected in the engine bay (it pees washer fluid behind the front tire when you try to wash) but overall it's very clean and solid. We've named it Jonathan, God Provides, after finding it local and in budget after some aggressive haggling on both sides.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ADCreHee7PU8aGbMU53f0I6mYIwBdO8oamzxho5E5I0YR3ZPH8jcZQ4we9wJ60SvVQXJdMPF9BgECrJLRBgm2MFxf48Wa05oJq4JNCdkrdhEs_Vl5dBE3BFx8T_KevAl9xXTa9oM3LJE0waYdsm7seoSYAWqUNUvXNX3WtimJUQCL7-BTUp4-Pa5uPV10si09hnWAqQ3GAoqzlT35_0zVbaFC2dQLo2Sfrpj4TiW7El2QVUZ_h5Em3O1aFafeX_
Views:	63
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	1345158

Name:	ADCreHd1ssxKTRWacNzl5pWMhS5jFGY1gDiJ5runJ1Uq9V67E8yawfDbCdmJsZuvITxyrD5Olg_2MkQxT_HEobCUcwHMV1mq01kPNMzFqX4hXPcAaHkAtm_UAAmZ6MWhYG8gP-614ZDV4c4NbFCKjRZ-8mrA--TArINl1TYZjxaD_nC25mJdcHmGKzUEDpaJ-0DWRskgku6azeU8LhV09z3rfM2FFbWsnykKUVu8h44ktEMZiqHfJkRoMm3OFnQ
Views:	61
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	1345159

Name:	ADCreHfRU1-nt5cTeCBhvEvUkuXI-wOVuVNo-24i5TS0izYX2CH3og0Q-zrBPqxzDGyEoPjsVPb2XwuszH6rZL8J4RQ4L1ew9gpkloe2v2GcVgu7hYOjJt0FHKEnTbS7tPKJooRS5jmLqk8XXxjmz84H91zMTSMn5Au7XI9il3kvfbf5uWCfbqHWBj4XO3DWtawDn56_CO_PDQOJbIz1YwUJxg9Vcsjj5Qs-HVX2WSVMYqgO_4twwakN0YW6Gv0
Views:	62
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	1345160

Traded off the capability of a 2500 4WD for the practicality of hauling people with a 1500 RWD. Bonus points for probably getting 6mpg (10 to 16mpg) better gas mileage and having heated seats, 2nd row, and steering wheel (!?!). The sunroof and power lift gate is something I'd rather have avoided but good luck finding one without those it seems here in TX that's not shagged out as a work vehicle. Short list on the maintenance is whether to pay to have the tires swapped between Bruce and Jonathan as the Wranglers are pretty noisy on the highway, cap the dash before it becomes rattly, disable the AFM/DOD thing with HPTuners, and new belt drive as one of the idler/tensioner pulleys has a slight bearing noise. Beyond that I need to consider how to make sure the roof paint doesn't get any worse and fix a broken lead screw in the front seat height adjuster.

Family loves it and the wife is more just accepting of driving it which is a bonus over Bruce. Here's to hopefully another 100k+ miles which will likely take us 10-12yrs at the rate we use it.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

That's a nice looking truck.

Comment

Congrats on the new ride . I'm sure you'll love it . The 1500s ride so nice with their coil spring rear suspensions . It helped convincing my wife she needed the 2016 instead of another Acura car .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Odd that we now call a 100k plus mile ride low mileage .
            Good luck with it .

Comment

Originally posted by 2020 mustang View Post
              Odd that we now call a 100k plus mile ride low mileage .
              Good luck with it .
              Yeah , with synthetic oils and no lead build up , mechanically they seem to run forever. Fortunately for the manufacturers , they seem to have figured a way to get the body to time out in the Midwest . At least for most people. Once the body rusts to a certain point most people get too ashamed to drive them . That's where I come in and buy them for my beater with a heater .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'd be checking out under the seats, in the spare tire well......etc
                That looks like a "Men in Black Suits Unit".......
                A few Nefarious Toys could have been left behind...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                  I'd be checking out under the seats, in the spare tire well......etc
                  That looks like a "Men in Black Suits Unit".......
                  A few Nefarious Toys could have been left behind...
                  Found a Nut Job 2 DVD in the player... that's some weird government agents.

I'll crawl over it this weekend. Firestone said they'd swap the tires around only if I showed up with one Suburban hauling the other's wheels and tires as they never have enough bays to handle two vehicles. $224 is worth it as my ire of the Goodyear Wranglers continues to grow.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

On the roof paint - The clear coat simply WILL go away. There is almost certainly some guy doing paint in his home shop (at least that's who my brother found in San Antonio) who will do a nice job for less than the MAACO price - MAACO quality is spotty. Be prepared to brush up on your Spanish or bring a Spanish/English speaker with you. I have a GREAT guy here (English speaking) but probably too far to come.

On the dash - I eventually replaced Truck's dash but I had already bought a Dashmat and transferred to the new dash in hopes of making the plastic last longer. I like Dashmat pretty well but they don't all fit as well as the one in the Dodge.

Comment

There's a local shop that comes highly recommended that I'd use for the roof respray. I did talk to them already about Bruce but they don't do rust repair so the idea of having them spend 2-3wks fixing the window rail rust went back into my lap so moved on to the new vehicle hut. I'm honestly debating if I want to paint it cream or "white off" as our old Vietnamese landlady would say to help with the heat here in TX.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                        There's a local shop that comes highly recommended that I'd use for the roof respray. I did talk to them already about Bruce but they don't do rust repair so the idea of having them spend 2-3wks fixing the window rail rust went back into my lap so moved on to the new vehicle hut. I'm honestly debating if I want to paint it cream or "white off" as our old Vietnamese landlady would say to help with the heat here in TX.
                        Yes, DO IT! The lighter color really helps. After you "come to" following the price quote from an established shop (remember, they're used to pricing to insurance companies where the sky is the limit) go find your back alley guy. That job shouldn't cost more than $1k - $1.2k. Perfection is not required - OEM quality is just fine and they aren't all that perfect as they come off the assembly line. You might want to paint the new color down to a body line like I did Truck. It's a nice look and looks intentional as well as covering all the areas where the clear has or is likely to pop off. More or less like this: (BTW, it's looks a bit off in the pic but the light color is teal)

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	1345440

Comment

That tire swap was so worth the $265 it cost me!!! I traded out the Load Range E Wrangler Ultraterrain AT with Kevlar that came on the RWD (even the techs said that was stupid) for the Load Range E Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3s that were on Bruce which is a K2500 (3/4 ton 4x4). It's such a massive improvement in ride quality even with as I found out, but suspected, trashed front swaybar links. Also just ordered the maintenance items from Rock Auto so should be good to go by next weekend short of sorting out the cracked dash and roof paint situation.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                          X