Liggett Family Reunion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Liggett Family Reunion

Glad that you had some nice warm weather while you were here. Would have been nice to meet for a bit, but I sure understand family comes first. Where else did they take you around the cities?

That Mustang looks like a great start. I like the color better than red.

Comment

Mom and I headed over to the Mall of America for awhile Sunday. Pretty much it. We didn't feel like going to the Saints b-ball game Sunday. We just wanted to hang with the family. Haven't seen anyone from that side since my Uncle Terry died three years ago.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Family reuinions can be hit or miss, depending on the family in question......glad yours was an enjoyable experience Scott.

I look forward to mine every year........I truly do!

The ragtop 'Stang looks good in that shade of blue, the white interior really sets it off in the pics.

A farm ain't a farm without an old tractor to putt around on....looks like fairly new rubber on that hoss.

Comment

I'm blessed with one very cool family. We all grew up together and saw each other about 3-4 times a year until my parents got the bright idea to move to Cali when I was 20. Every one gets along. No bozos or people who get drunk and become a-holes. I know other families have issues with a few members who are problems or cause them. That's why I feel completely blessed.

The Fergy tractor got a near total over haul. All the tires were flat when they bought it. I imagine they all got replaced. The top of the motor was redone, carb rebuilt, some work on the tranny, gear box and PTO. It was repainted to green from it's as purchased red. I have a pic around here somewhere of Uncle Ron working on it from his wheel chair. Back when he was still somewhat functioning correctly.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
            There are few tractors at my family reunions.... :'(

Ok, now I have been holding my tongue on that Ferguson. I didn't want to go tractor-dork until someone else brought it up.

Ferguson was a very neat guy. An irish inventor, he came up with the 3-point hitch to attach implements to tractors. The 3 point hitch, aside from being convenient it was also a literal life saver. When tractors used to pull plows before the 3-point hitch and the plow got hung up on something, the tractors tended to "climb the ring gear" and flip over backwards. This normally ended with a dead farmer. The three point hitch was designed in a manner such that if the plow got hung up, the top bar actually forced the nose of the tractor down, both increasing traction and preventing a roll over.

Henry Ford was so impressed with this simple, effective design he had Ferguson bring a machine equipped with a 3-point hitch to a farm he owned to watch it work. He and Ferguson made famous "hand shake" deal that results in millions of Ford tractors being equipped with Ferguson's design. It ended badly when Ford produced the 8N (the most popular tractor of all time) and used the 3-point hitch without paying Ferguson royalties. Ferguson sued Ford and walked away with over 9 million bucks. Huge money for the day.

That 53 that Scott is sitting on is virtually identical to a late 1940's/early 1950's 8N Ford.

There...that's better.
            I thought that tractor looked familiar - interesting about the 3 point hitch too- thanks - some of us appreciate your frustrated gentleman farmer leanings. And on another note - what's the orange/brown dust that was all over my mower when finished mowing last night. Do I have some sort of fungus maybe ? And when I hit reply and try to type the typing jumps around and is hidden and I have to keep scrolling down to see where I'm at - is it my old ass computer maybe?
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Weird on the typing thing.

You have a common fungus called rust. You can purchase fungicide at your local home store or agway type place.

1.) Wash your mower
              2.) Spray the blades with lysol (will kill the fungus on the blades and you won't spread it)
              3.) If you are watering DO NOT water at night...early am
              4.) If it has been very dry the turf is weakened and it may go dormant (brown out) if the rust is bad enough

What has the weather been?
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I put a fungicide down near the middle of July - must have missed the window of effectiveness. The dust wasn't there last Friday when I mowed so I'll hit it again with the fungicide. I washed the mower off (top and bottom) last night, I'll raid some of the wife's Lysol too.

I water at 0530 hrs. 3 or 4 times a week depending on rainfall.
                We got over an inch and a half betwwen last Friday and Saturday rains but before that it was a little dry and windy though.

This summer has been pretty decent weatherwise for Nebraska - it's been relative cool (high 80's instead of high 90's)
                with some rainfall. Usually this time of year it's dry as a popcorn fart and high humidity.
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

You can back your watering duration down some, maybe by a 1/3, especially if you are getting normal rains. One inch a week is the sweet spot for healthy turf.

Expect about 20 days of effectivness for a fungicide application. You have irrigation as well so the watering will cause the product to break down a bit quicker than lawns that do not have it.

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Gotcha on the reduced water, the wife might give me the "I told ya so" but it won't be the first time.

So it if the product usually lasts 20 days when and how many times per year would you think ? I know that is a broad question and probably varies by region, weather, etc..... But I always thought once a year, but that theory was wrong too.

Appreciate the free advice, hopefully some others do also since I hijacked the crap out of ths thread.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                    X