No announcement yet.

Hot Rod magazine going quarterly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprised the mag made it this long, been pretty thin for a few years. I really do miss Hot Rod Deluxe.

Comment

Originally posted by ratpatrol66 View Post
      Surprised the mag made it this long, been pretty thin for a few years. I really do miss Hot Rod Deluxe.
      I miss HRM not giving the reader what they want. This is how you die.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The last true 'Hot Rod' related article was published in July of 2015. The magazine went to sh!t after that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-One-Bay-Hot-Rod-Build-lpr.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	1345601

After that the pages were flooded with check book builds and writers and shop owners in giant a circle jerk.
        It makes me sad to see the magazine I grew up with become a shell of it's former self.
        This what happens when you don't listen to your readers.
        I don't want check book builds that I'll never be able to afford.
        No, I don't care what free parts Lucky put on his truck this month.

Comment

Magazines used to be a great source of information. In the late 70’s I built a V8 Vega and I used Popular Hot Rodding as a guideline because they were building one a the same time. The guy at the corner store used to say to me as I walked through the door “no they haven’t come in yet “ , I’d go in everyday to get the newest copies. Things don’t always change for the better …

Comment

Grassroots motorsports proves that magazines can have a lot of information and engaging articles - whatever story HRM is selling.... is utter BS. Print isn't dead, HRM is.

Oh, and I'll sing this song over their grave been saying it for awhile.... Mopar continues to be a distant 3rd in the Hot Rod world. Stupidest thing HRM ever did was jump into bed with them. I don't care that Freiburger thinks they're the bomb - they could be to him - but when you make business decisions based upon emotion.... death happens soon. Look at the wreckage of the 4x4 magazines, Jeep became the only answer and - even when it was laughingly not, then they doubled down on purity.... and they're nothing but a distant memory. Seems the entire Peterson empire is being killed by Dodge.

and I know this is really hard for them to understand - but I won't buy something if it doesn't appeal to a need - go back to the huge arguments I had with the fictitious Oklahoma lawyer.... said it then, saying it again now.... they're done.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 23, 2023, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I know I've typed this before over the years... deja voodoo. I don't think anybody really wanted this day to come.

GRM sort of caters to a specific kind of group but is the last holdout with actual reader driven content. I'm a subscriber. I pretty much gave up on print when Car Craft got the axe. I usually preferred it to HRM. Ro Mcgonegal killed HRM for me years ago, Freiburger briefly revived it, and about the time CarJunkieTV.com rolled around, I was kind of done with print subscriptions. HRM's direction has changed so many times over the years, but the one I miss the very least out of VW's and Go karts and Boats and even a brief affair with imports? Harleys.

Bummed to have lost so many titles in my lifetime. The internet archives suck it compared to hard copy. Unless you tore out a page, you don't get 404 Not Found from a magazine.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

There is one magazine I still get, Speedway Illustrated, started by Dr. Dick Bergren after whoever it was that bought up all of the magazines 15, 20 years ago, including Stockcar Racing, and Open Wheel, and soon after killed them all. Even Speedway Illustrated was bought by someone and went under for a while.

Dr. Dick and some of the people that were with him at Speedway Illustrated bought it back, revived it, AND honored all of us who had subscriptions by seeing to it that we got our full subscriptions. I'll stick with them until print is completely dead!

Now they only cover oval track racing, and I'm fine with that given that I'mfirst and foremost a roundly pounder. But still have tech that's good, cover different types of racing other than NASCAR, and have really good editorial people.

And besides, Dr. Dick even raced at the Valley back in my days there. Yes, that was before his ESPN days, way before...

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  I know I've typed this before over the years... deja voodoo. I don't think anybody really wanted this day to come.

GRM sort of caters to a specific kind of group but is the last holdout with actual reader driven content. I'm a subscriber. I pretty much gave up on print when Car Craft got the axe. I usually preferred it to HRM. Ro Mcgonegal killed HRM for me years ago, Freiburger briefly revived it, and about the time CarJunkieTV.com rolled around, I was kind of done with print subscriptions. HRM's direction has changed so many times over the years, but the one I miss the very least out of VW's and Go karts and Boats and even a brief affair with imports? Harleys.

Bummed to have lost so many titles in my lifetime. The internet archives suck it compared to hard copy. Unless you tore out a page, you don't get 404 Not Found from a magazine.
                  I'm still in the dregs of "we'll continue your subscription with this magazine" thankfully, after I had a cow, they won't be sending me Cars and gardens... err Motor Trend. But when that runs out, I'm done. I have neither the time nor the space to store unread magazines. I always told myself that I'd read them when I got sick again, I got sick, didn't read one.

It sucks most because it was wonton mismanagement. They were all enamored with the idea of no more print because it would mean "more money" - now they have Prius driving Heads who couldn't care less. Even the e-stuff. I laughed at the HRM email this morning - "Why people don't like EV classic cars" why are you wasting print time on this? is this like equal access? where publishers provide space for alternative views so they don't appear to be bigoted? It cracked me up at SEMA with the yellow 57 Chev - they were so 'proud' they had 'saved' it. Now they didn't, all they did was prove that they have no connection to the force which drives modifying cars. It's like the bully that takes away your toy to show you they have the power. Funny, in thinking about it, I don't think I took a picture of it.... must be some latent hostility or something. I thought it was a cool car, but not something I ever aspired to emulate - heck it's a post.

HRM is a TV show now, its print has followed the trajectory I predicted and I'm still unwilling to move to California for serf's wages to work in a cube farm to save them.... I imagine those with real talent would follow the same thought process.

Comment

Working...
                  X