Paging Dan Stokes (Loren too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Somehow there's something about a 4 bolt wheel pattern that just screams high performance.
    You mean like all of the Fox Body Fords?
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I always thought; the fewer the lugs, the lower the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

You mean like all of the Fox Body Fords?
        and that paradigm of power, the Mustang II
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Always disliked the Mustang II body style (if you can even call it that). Gremlins too.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
            Always disliked the Mustang II body style (if you can even call it that). Gremlins too.
            I'm close on that.... I hate the notchbacks, the fastback actually has some potential to look quite good....

Comment

i used 7- 1lb rolls of welding wire on this one reinforcing everything i could think of
              as well as fabbing all kinds of braces and crossmembers and brackets, oh my....
              that +.030 327 with 11-1, an isky 280-.505-108, and 2x4 intake (cant find a pic of it)
              installed later. coupled with a th350. a cosworth 3.73 rear and a set of custom made
              4 lug centerlines made a pretty but frighteningly fast ride, so fast the girlfriend wouldnt
              drive it (we built it for her) so it got sold. shoulda just recammed and detuned... oh well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vega1.webp Views:	0 Size:	30.3 KB ID:	1345885
              Click image for larger version  Name:	vega2.webp Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	1345886
              Click image for larger version  Name:	vega4.webp Views:	0 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	1345887
              Last edited by fatguyzinc; November 29, 2023, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I always thought; the fewer the lugs, the lower the performance.
                Superman had a POS something over there he was working on, it belonged to his son's girlfriend. It was some kind of an imported rattletrap, I don't even remember what, and it was falling apart. I went over there to poke fun and that's when it dawned on me - the 4 bolt lug pattern...why didn't they just put three to save money?
                Last edited by pdub; November 29, 2023, 08:10 AM.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	574.9 KB ID:	1345897

Indeed... or even one lug

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	491.7 KB ID:	1345898
                  Last edited by Beagle; November 29, 2023, 10:52 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Gremlins made good bodies for ne dirt modifieds back in the 70's, and there was even one that used a Pacer body. Dave Kneisel, Old Bones, #7-11. Here's a picture of the thing courtesy of 3widespicturevault.com
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	01_03_03_711_KNE_FLM_0070_1-vi.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1345900 So don't knock 'em! Seriously, this one was a stretch, but Dave made it look good.

Comment

Pdub - Lots of guys converted Fox Mustangs to 5 bolt but the consensus is that 4 lugs are plenty strong though the wheel selection is limited. I found 4 lug wheels for my 'Stang that I liked so I stayed with 4. Never saw a 4 lug wheel fail on a Mustang so I'm thinking they're OK.

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	747.6 KB
ID:	1345908

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        Pdub - Lots of guys converted Fox Mustangs to 5 bolt but the consensus is that 4 lugs are plenty strong though the wheel selection is limited. I found 4 lug wheels for my 'Stang that I liked so I stayed with 4. Never saw a 4 lug wheel fail on a Mustang so I'm thinking they're OK.

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	747.6 KB
ID:	1345908
                        And in a dozen or so years at SCCA road races, watching showroom stock and improved touring races, we never saw any lost or fail in any other way. And racing at Nelson's Ledges in those days was a good test of suspension parts. There were a lot of avoidance areas all around the track.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

And in a dozen or so years at SCCA road races, watching showroom stock and improved touring races, we never saw any lost or fail in any other way. And racing at Nelson's Ledges in those days was a good test of suspension parts. There were a lot of avoidance areas all around the track.
                          yes but more lug nuts means you can use a lighter wheel.... I think overkill has been the name of the game for a long time, but there are reasons for them

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

And in that many years at road courses I've never seen or heard of anything at all failing, except for drilled brake rotors, and I didn't see that, only heard tale of it. I do know from personal experience that with un-cooled front brakes the lug nuts will definitely back out during a run. I doubt it would make any difference how many lugs you have versus when the wheel actually starts wobbling loose.
                            Last edited by pdub; November 29, 2023, 03:21 PM.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

my brother had an 86 stang "5.0", we eventually shoehorned in a 69 lincoln 460 and c6...
                              the very first thing that broke was the left rear wheel sheared all 4 lugs when he was hard
                              on it getting on freeway, hit 2nd and the bang-screech shift kit barked the tires and sheared
                              the 4 studs.... possibly a coincidence, but i always thought over 3500lbs needs 5, 6, or even
                              better 8 lugs. (like... a full floating dana 60 truck rear end, heh heh,,,)

i was ok with the astre having 4 lugs as it was so light and only had a 255/60/15 rear with
                              3.73 gears, it was like driving on ice or ball bearings-car went sideways if you even THOUGHT
                              about giving it more than 1/4 throttle. i miss it!

Comment

#4lug4ife! Lol my car went 1.48' 60' there maybe a slight twist to the lugs. Maybe I should switch them left to right see if I can straighten them out?

I assume it's the tire shake / wheel hop that hurts them. Can't be the 5000+ RPM clutch drops with 3-4# of boost

​​​​
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.49, 7.39 @ 93.63 - 1.51, 7.58 @ 93.84, 11.84 @ 120.5

Comment

Working...
                                X