Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Challenger

Do we like it...love it...or... ???

Supposedly the entire first-year run is pre-sold (per C & D)?

Approx. $40,000.00, 4000 pounds and 400 horsepower (SRT-8).

What say ye? --

Re: New Challenger

Cool car to look at...too bad its an over priced fatass. Make it loose 500 lbs and 15K off the price tag and then youde have somthing.....

Comment

Much better than the charger, but a 'Cuda by Chrysler would be even better!

Comment

It's a two-door, they got that right. But still no option for the big motor and not all the other extras.

Comment

Originally posted by 72_Ventura
          It's a two-door, they got that right. But still no option for the big motor and not all the other extras.
          I agree. Dodge should break the mold (of recent at least) and start offering "stripped down" models. Make mine a Hemi with all the manual options please.

I'll just have to wait till somebody's wife gets sick of it, then buy it used.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinSuhas

I'll just have to wait till somebody's wife gets sick of it, then buy it used.
            That's the same procurement program I'm on!
            I'll let somebody else take the "hit".

Comment

Fat bloated over priced pig....I knoew they were going to price the damn thing out of the average joes reach....thats sticker...remember there is always the "market adjustment" or dealer markup.....I bet about 10 ot 20 grand....I looked a mustang recently and it was a GT500...sticker was 36....then the "market adjustment" was 54K....blood thirsty bastards....

Comment

Not that I can afford one, but it's the first new car model I've EVER been at all excited about. I do like the new Mustang too however, but I like the Challenger much more. Yeah you can say that there are no bare bones, cheaper option to just get the engine w/out accessories...and if there were that would be the one I'd choose too, but it beats anything anyone has rolled off the assembly line in my lifetime (born in 1980).

To me, it marks a new era for muscle cars. The Challenger has the vintage look, with a strong, modern V8 under the hood. Can I afford one? No. But I'd rather see Chrysler build that than a junky Sebring or Concorde. I'm all for it.....

Comment

[Dodge should break the mold (of recent at least) and start offering "stripped down" models. Make mine a Hemi with all the manual options please.
                  Those days are long gone. They can't sell a LOT of musclecars thanks to CAFE, so they load them up big and sell them for huge money...and sell every one they can make. Plus sell first editions for huge bucks at B-J.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                    [Dodge should break the mold (of recent at least) and start offering "stripped down" models. Make mine a Hemi with all the manual options please.
                    Those days are long gone. They can't sell a LOT of musclecars thanks to CAFE, so they load them up big and sell them for huge money...and sell every one they can make. Plus sell first editions for huge bucks at B-J.
                    > maaan. how about a stripped down one sans motor? let me drop in whatever i wanna.

day dreaming here... how great would a new diesel challenger be? Bring it out in the famous cuda green color since they are trying to promote "green diesels"? You would have to peel Banks off of it with a crowbar.

Comment

The last stripped down, base model car with the best performance engine offered in it that I know of was the 3rd-Gen Firebird "Formula" cars. Working at the Pontiac Dealership they would have the V-8, either manual or auto trans but no cruise or no power windows and probably a few other luxuries were left off. There might have been a 4-gen option similar, but I can't remember specifically if they had manual windows or not, I know there was a Formula option though. They all looked like the base V-6 cars but Firebird and Trans Am emblems/badging were replaced with Formula. It'd be cool to see cars go back to that.

I do remember reading some where though that it now costs more to put manual windows in a vehicle than power just because the scale of economics is so heavy on the Power Window side now. I think the article was referring to building a stripped down Chevy SS truck with an LS/6-speed powertrain and no accessories, including no A/C and radio delete, but it fizzled out because that would actually cost more than having them installed. :-\
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

[quote=JustinSuhas ]
                        > maaan. how about a stripped down one sans motor? let me drop in whatever i wanna.

According to an article in the current Mopar Action they ARE going to offer a drag race package similar to the '68 Hemi A bodies.Anybody heard this?I will consider it total BS until I actually see one.I got to see the CHallenger concept this year at Carlisle.It's bigger than the original,but at last it's KINDA close to it's namesake,unlike the current Charger (which is at least 1 million times better than the last "Charger" they sold in the 80's)I agree that the new Challenger is the first NEW mopar I could actually feel excited about,since I was also "born too late" (75) The thing is,I KNOW the "muscle car" is dead.They can build and market whatever they want,but unless they have a trust fund to empty out,no YOUNG people will be buying them new.We've all heard the stories of guys who "worked 2 jobs when they were 16 to make the payments on their new 1968 --------.It's 2008.99.9 percent of 16 year olds can't afford gas/insurance on a used Neon,let alone a massive car payment and ungodly insurance rates,as well as care and feeding of a new V8.How much does a pair of rear tires go for?Ya can complain all ya want about youngsters and their "tuner" cars but it's still hot rodding.How many youngsters can even afford the SRT over the base Neon?I'm planning on getting a Challenger though.About ten years from now,blown motor/engineless,trashed interior,rust,dents,primer.Should only cost me 25 grand...

Comment

I saw one in person last Feb. at the Philadelphia Auto Show. It was getting more attention than the new Camaro they had there. The Challenger looked like it was ready to hit the road, and the Camaro looked too much like a concept car still. Love the lines of the Challenger, you will too!

As for the pricing, the first few always go for alot more than they sticker for. That's not to say they will be "affordable" for a while. We have a Shelby GT 500 at work that just sold for 59k. The sticker was 42k and these cars have been out for 2 years so you can expect the same from the new Challenger.

Comment

Ok I'll bite, what is CAFE ?

Also, I was at the local Ford dealer some months back and they had one of the new Shelby 500's (if I recall correctly) on the floor, priced at something like $140k. That was $55k sticker plus $85K dealer markup. Give me a break. Are there really people out there paying money like that for OEM models ? I know that B-J has driven awareness up on muscle cars and horsepower in general, but geezo...

Comment

Corporate Average Fuel Economy. Basically, the average fuel economny for total cars sold by a manufacturer have to average 27.5 MPG. At least that's the way I understand it. Read here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/cafe/overview.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X