Good News! (I think....)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News! (I think....)

Last week, the wife drags me out of bed to show me the stick she pee'd on (aka, home pregnancy test) and sure enough, we're having a baby!

Everyone in the family is ecstatic, but I'm still worried. Yesterday's trip to Babies R Us was a sudden revelation as to how bloody expensive kids stuff is, especially things like cribs and furniture (which the wife won't let me make myself). And even though it's a great excuse to finally put a (tiny) 5-point harness in the car, I still have no clue how we'll raise a kid on my barely-above-minimum wage paycheque. We don't exactly qualify for any government help and I'm too "overqualified" to get a better job in this town.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent, I actually feel a bit better already. Hope everyone else's kids are doing well!

Re: Good News! (I think....)

Congrats!!! If your worried about cash,remember baby stuff can come from the second hand store.

Comment

Man, I know the expenses can be overwhelming, but you are in for the best years of your life with your kid. Mine are almost completely grown now, and I have enjoyed every moment with them. My daughter just turned 20 yesterday and my son will be 18 in October. Enjoy the younger years as they just grow up too damned quick!

By the way.... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Congrats.........!!!

You think car parts are expensive
        ;D

Back in 1979.....we had an 'oops' (so much for the rhythm method of birth control)
        We did the home test.......I made her take the best two out three
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Congratulations and enjoy.
          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Congrats
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Better hope it's a boy. If it's a girl you can kiss your heart goodbye because she will have it. (Maybe boys are like that too but I didn't get mine 'till they were 16 and 20 so its - um - different, although I love them dearly too.)

It's foolish to buy baby stuff new. They use it for so short a time that furniture, clothes, etc. never get worn out so you might as well pick up other folks outgrown stuff. Besides, there is a Grandma gene that kicks in and they will provide more stuff than you can fit in your home. Yield to the Grandma gene - it is unstoppable.

And have fun with it. There's no need for trepidation - just ask Milner (John)!

Dan

Comment

sell the car now , congratulations
                I paid the baby doctor cash ..........my own version of health care reform
                but ends the future pro stock career

Comment

Dude!

Great news man. Seems like a cop out but you'll find a way to make it work. As everyone has said, it's a good deal all around!

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Congrats! I agree with you about the prices of stuff but like others have said, you don't gotta buy new. Hit up the garage sales and second hand stores. Hit up your friends that have older babies or toddlers.....they may be ready to move up to larger furniture. Money is tight here in our house too and just like everyone else here does, we just always find a way to make it work. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks guys, for all your well-wishes. It's actually making me feel a bit less stressed out about this. I think you're all right about making it through, and especially about the "grandma gene." In our case, it might be the "grandpa gene"-my father is more hardcore about woodworking than most of us are about cars-I mean, he cuts his own trees down for cryin' out loud. And most of those trees, he planted himself 40 years ago. I have a funny feeling we're going to have more than enough cottonwood and oak furniture to furnish baby's room.

Thanks again for all the support, and I'll keep y'all updated on how things go with the family. Oh, and Spidey-the car's gotta stay. Seriously, we only have one of'em, and it's a long walk to work.....

Comment

i understand the money thing all to well. my wife is 14 weeks in on our second child. and just recently lost her job. although money is extremely tight. after the kid is born it will all be worth it. the definately bring more joy to you then the heart ache of no money. enjoy it, and i hope all goes well with the pregnancy.

Comment

Congratulations, nothing wrong with second hand or gifts from family. When wife was pregnant with 1st child she lost her job and I was working part time at a pizza place and going to school. All worked out.

My youngest is getting out of most of the stuff, I will see what we have left if you want it we can work something out.
                          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Congratulations!!!! ;D You'll have a great time as a daddy and you'll do great. When's it due?

Places like Babies R Us and such are higher than a lot of other places. My daughter has a group of friends who pass clothes and such around. When one kid outgrows something it goes to somebody else's smaller kid. Kind of a co-op I guess. Second hand furniture and stuff is another great idea, just be sure it has the latest safety stuff and it works.
                            Also we found, as is my daughter now, that relatives and some friends have stuff laying around that they will offer. Oh, and grandparents are often up for giving you the good stuff. Make a good list of what you think you'll need and put it on your register at places like Target. Folks will come through.

One thing I would not get used is the child seat. Make sure you don't skimp on those.

Enjoy!

Comment

Congrats,and remember,if you wait to afford to have kids it will never happen.So just kick back and enjoy the ride.It will be great,I would not trade them for anything.
                              Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X