A few words about Westech Dyno facility in CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few words about Westech Dyno facility in CA

So, last Friday I was lucky enough to spend the afternoon with some good BS'er friends over at Westech - the place you all read about in the magazines where they do so much dyno testing and tuning.

I'd been there a few times with Chad and DF when I was working in SoCal, 2006 and 2007, but this was the first time I was using their facility to tune an EMS. Let me tell you, these guys are *the absolute best* in the business. Bar none. They treated us like we were the biggest, most important customer there; last time I visited them, Brule was tuning a bitchin' blown drag boat motor that makes more power than the last 17 cars I've tuned, combined). Steve Brule leads a cast of wizards of all disciplines. They have an EFI guy there who has probably tuned more different systems than I've even heard about. And that guy (Ernie) just wants your car to run better - no attitude, no ego, just "roll up the sleeves and lets make this thing run" kind of spirit. The customer service is borderline outrageous...

They were cool enough to trust Edelbrock's EFI and chassis dyno guy (Shaun Callaway, who hates it when I use his name here heh) to man the Superflow console while Ernie helped guys in the dyno cell who were making 700+ ft lbs of torque - on a Jeep 4 liter stroker/turbo/EFI motor! The Great Wizard of Odd himself was there tuning a wicked EFI N/A slant six (I'm speaking of Lance Nist, an EFI godfather, owner of the Pantera EFI system which you know as Redline Weber, 034EFI, and others)... and of course Steve Brule was there to provide quick answers to questions that would require mere mortals to spend hours researching...

After we thrashed like mad - Shaun, Chad, Bill, and a cast of EFI freaks - we made clean pulls and got our numbers. They even stayed an extra hour to let us find the right timing and fuel, and sent us home with a great amount of dyno data to browse...

I'm rambling. Just wanted to say some good things about the guys at Westech. They are so positive and helpful - I wish they'd open franchises up in other cities! I had such a blast working there this past weekend. If you have a chance to patronize these guys, DO IT!

-Scott
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Re: A few words about Westech Dyno facility in CA

Scott, they could open the franchises, but you still would need the talent & brain that make it work. maybe they could be cloned!
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Good to hear Scott.....To often we focus on bad businesses and forget all the good ones.

Good on ya Westech....

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I've always been Blown away by the lack of Ego and attentiveness there.... Steve has become a friend over the years and has simply never been "just another guy"... he's always thrown in 100% plus to all our junk .... and he's one of the guys you hear us talking on the phone to once the junk has set a record at Bville....

That all comes down to the fact that they simply take ownership of everything that comes through their door and take pride in Your success...

Good folks indeed...

Keith

Comment

Great writeup Scott.
          It's nice to hear that running a business does not always mean bad attitudes from ego maniacs.
          Good on 'ya Westech !!
          ;D

Comment

Great to hear that there ARE good guys in this world. Westech has always been a confusion to me as there are two "Westechs". The other one is my friend Norm Brandes' shop in Silver Lake, Wi. Great full service shop with a wonderful auto machine shop. They are good folks, too.

I'll put in a plug for our little local dyno shop, Wayne's Dyno in Jacksonville, NC. Wayne's a great guy and pretty good tuner, but he isn't Steve Brule. Nor would he claim to be. I mention Wayne's to point out that there MAY be a good local facility for each of us if we look a bit. But the level of experience combined with the lack of ego at a place like the CA Westech is going to be hard to come by, for sure.

Dan

Comment

Brule' is the man...

Comment

I've been there twice. Once for chassis tuning my Impala and once as an observer while they were dyno tuning John McGann's LT1 for his Caprice. Brule was busy with the Hot Rod TV crew and we had to stop my car while they were filming. I guess my car was so loud, it over powered the sound of the engine in the dyno room. : Ernie and Eugene were extremely helpful and were not the slightest bit looking down their nose at my low rent set up. They were excited and hardly let me touch my own car for adjustments. All I could do was watch and pray it didn't blow up when Ernie smashed the gas for 15 dyno pulls.

Ernie and Eugene were all over John's LT1; I was just watching and trying to learn a bit about EFI tuning. But when it came time to change the cam and such, I grabbed some wrenches and jumped right in. Got really dirty, as usual, and ruined one of CC T-shirts. Brule spent a lot of time on the phone that day. Poor guy was answering questions to everybody and their sister that day. I asked him just two.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That is great, I would like to see a good-guy Dino list.
                  I have hauled my race bikes on several 5+ hour trips to go to the best Dyno tuner in the mid-west, and not only got a kick-ass running bike on each visit, I also learned a ton. Also, no attitude and no BS, well worth the cash and effort!
                  http://www.visi.com/~moperfserv/
                  At some point I will be building a "good" motor for my car, and I will need to get it tuned properly. That's a couple years out, but when the time comes I will drive how ever long I need to to get it done right.

A good tuner will make a good car (or bike) into a great one.

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
                    At some point I will be building a "good" motor for my car, and I will need to get it tuned properly. That's a couple years out, but when the time comes I will drive how ever long I need to to get it done right.

I'm not far from you Mike. I am not calling myslf the "Best in The World" but I'll submit my application anyways
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Definitely! What dyno facility do you use? chassis or engine??

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
                        Definitely! What dyno facility do you use? chassis or engine??
                        I've used a lot of both. The chassis dyno is best for finding the right engine parts combo (cam, etc) but the engine needs retuned once you put it in the car, so chassis dyno is a must IMO. (that's if you're doing EFI - carb'd, you can get away with just engine dyno, but with that, you'll want someone better at carb tuning than me!)

Comment

my dyno , only costs 24 bucks a session , and all your friends can watch
                          chassis dynos are for IM240 inpections or nascar competition audits

Comment

600 bucks ? heck , had that in the whole car

Comment

Is there any place in the Midwest (Or anywhere) similar to Westech that let's a tuner like yourself dig into the project on their dyno equipment?

There is probably a few guys out there that would spend the time and cash to get things tuned right if there were more places like Westech.

My plan is for EFI, but limited to few choices with the AMC, interesting that Shaun works at Edelbrock, their kit/system looks like one of the best but it ain't cheap :o. That's not to say it's not worth it.... you usually get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
                              X