Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A few words about Westech Dyno facility in CA

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
    Is there any place in the Midwest (Or anywhere) similar to Westech that let's a tuner like yourself dig into the project on their dyno equipment?

There is probably a few guys out there that would spend the time and cash to get things tuned right if there were more places like Westech.

My plan is for EFI, but limited to few choices with the AMC, interesting that Shaun works at Edelbrock, their kit/system looks like one of the best but it ain't cheap :o. That's not to say it's not worth it.... you usually get what you pay for.
    It depends on the shop. I doubt there are any that wouldn't let us tune your combo ourselves, usually I go through a referral anyways... some places might not like a first-timer trying to do his own work, as he may have a bad experience then go badmouth them on the internet.

Edelbrock makes some good stuff. Shaun was in my wedding so he's ALWAYS helpful, even via phone at 5am on a Saturday (seered's dyno session). I like the SuperVictor because it's built like a tank! but it lacks some features (built in 2-step, nitrous controls, boost controls) that a lot of newer systems have. You may be able to save a bit of money if you purchase the hard parts separate from the computer - you can range from a basic Megasquirt ($350ish) on up to a middle of the road FAST, BS3, DFI ($1600-2200ish), or go with some of the more interesting/rare systems in that price range (Pantera/Weber-Redline/Electromotive/EFI Technologies), you can move up the ladder to MoTec ($4500ish+) or go batshit crazy with Pectel (Indycar bucks) etc. Don't discount the cheap ones, either - Megasquirt has pulled a class win at Drag Week 3 out of 4 years, and we have no plans for slowing down at DW09

Anyways, piecing together your own system isn't a bad idea, and can save some money. You can also get into coil-per-plug or wasted spark if you want/need (I like these for forced induction engines, or big hits of nitrous).

You could post up in the EFI forum here for questions. There is a lot of EFI experience on this forum - lots of new guys who can give you advice based on recent experience, and guys who've been doing it forever (Dynoroom, 427).
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

i've learned so much from the guys at westech over the years, especially steve brule. He is never short on time when i bug him for info.

can't say enough about that shop.

Comment

I read the EFI board all the time, learning a ton just from that.
        I'll jump in with both feet and my wallet when the time is right ;D
        I still have some work to do to have the best possible foundation for a good motor ;)

Comment

Working...
        X