Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild the 327ci -or- Buy a Crate 383 or 400 SBC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild the 327ci -or- Buy a Crate 383 or 400 SBC ?

Well, the 327ci SBC in the '63 is getting a little tired and is using 1/2 quart of oil with every tank fill-up, so I have been thinking about what to do.
    Rebuild the 327 or buy a crate 383 or 400 SBC ?
    I'd like about 400 ponies and foot-pounds with complete reliability and streetability.
    Yeah, I'd really like a new front clip with a BBC, but that ain't gonna happen.

Also, the TH350 transmission winds up the rpm a little too high on long cruises (at 80mph), so I was considering a replacement with an overdrive tranny like a 200-4R or 700R4, but would like to understand the benefits and consequences of each option before I make a final decision.

Since the car originally came with the 194ci inline straight-six, there is no reason to get hung up on any "stock" issues or arguments.
    Best bang for the buck (pun intended) is what I'm looking for.

Your thoughts, comments, experience and recommendations are requested.

Re: Rebuild the 327ci - or - Buy a Crate 383 or 400 SBC ?

With your goals in mind, get the most cubes you can get your hands on. But, crate engines get a little more expensive when you get into stroker territory. Anything can be done for the right amount of money. What is your price range?
    Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

How's the cooling system? Adding more cubes will add heat....

What gears are in it now?

How much of a cam does it have?

How big is your budget?

More cubes will get you more torque, which will let you run the engine at a lower rpm and make it last longer and be more comfy.

Tough decision.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

do both, rebuild the 327, and put a 400 in there, keeping the 327 just in case I am in the area for you to give it to me
        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Are you talking a rebuild as in new rings and bearings, or rebuild as in lots of machine work and new forged pistons and new aluminum heads and other hard parts?

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Steve,

I will talk to you at Maxton....and we will get it sorted.... 8)

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

A nice 383 would be some reliable kick-ass power for that light car, I'd stay away from 400s due to siamese cylinder walls.

Myself I might re-build the 327 for retro factor depending on if it wasn't too beat but there's not many of those around anymore that haven't already been overbored a time-or-two.

Comment

OK, I knew the questions would come before any answers, so I will do the best I can.
                Remember, this is more of a preliminary fact finding mission .... I am not ordering parts tomorrow.

Originally posted by cantvalve16
                What is your price range?
                No specific price range yet, but for now let's say under $10K turn-key (not including tranny).
                I've been looking at GMPP and Edelbrock online to get an indicative top range.

Originally posted by squirrel
                How's the cooling system? Adding more cubes will add heat....
                What gears are in it now?
                How much of a cam does it have?
                I've just put in a nice Be Cool system good for 700hp, so at least that's done.
                Unfortunately, this is a pass-around project and the guy I bought it from only knew it was suposed to be a Corvette motor with some Edelbrock stuff on it.
                It could have an Edelbrock power upgrade kit of some kind in it, or just the carb and some covers with the stock cam, but it sounds too nice to be stock.
                Same goes for the rear end. From what I have been able to learn, the car originally came with 13" axles with a 4-lug pattern. It now has a 10-bolt rear end with standard chevy 5-lug bolt pattern, so I'm presuming it is just a stock 10".
                ???

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
                do both, rebuild the 327, and put a 400 in there, keeping the 327 just in case I am in the area for you to give it to me
                I have also been considering putting in a crate and then rebuiding the 327 in my own sweet time, but not to give it to you.
                ;)

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                Are you talking a rebuild as in new rings and bearings, or rebuild as in lots of machine work and new forged pistons and new aluminum heads and other hard parts?
                If I rebuild the 327, I will want near max output from it (I know these things can be made to run, baby !), so yes it would be bored, have built aluminum heads, forged crank & pistons, etc ..
                ;D

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                  I will talk to you at Maxton....and we will get it sorted....
                  I know, you want to stick an LS7 in it !!
                  ;D

Originally posted by Loren
                  A nice 383 would be some reliable kick-ass power for that light car, I'd stay away from 400s due to siamese cylinder walls.
                  Myself I might re-build the 327 for retro factor depending on if it wasn't too beat but there's not many of those around anymore that haven't already been overbored a time-or-two.
                  That's kinda what I'm thinking.
                  This motor is a big mystery until I get it apart.

Comment

I don't have an unbiased opinion - because I really like rebuilding engines, I think a crate is cheating... even though they do make a lot of sense in some applications.

I would think going with a tried and true combination like a 383 stroker, with a reasonable hydraulic roller cam
                    (don't listen to Seth on cam choice - he thinks everything needs 260+ duration at .050" ;D)

and if you can swing the do-re-mi, a nice set of aluminum heads - afr 185 or 205 would make that stroker SING

couple that with an edel rpm intake and properly sized carb for your intended RPM range... and you have a happy engine.

I'd build it for pump gas..... keep the compression reasonable,
                    and I wouldn't think twice about the over drive --- DO IT, I think a 700R4 would be plenty stout behind a healthy stroker, especially if Indy builds it for you! 8)
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Re: Rebuild the 327ci -or- Buy a Crate 383 or 400 SBC ?

If I rebuild the 327, I will want near max output from it (I know these things can be made to run, baby !), so yes it would be bored, have built aluminum heads, forged crank & pistons, etc ..
                      Ok, with that in mind, find a decent 350 block; if you can locate one, get a good 400 block. Stroke away. Then you will have what you really want: cubes for less!

I'm still kicking myself for rebuilding a 327 for my Malibu instead of one of the perfectly acceptable 400's that I have.
                      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

what about sticking a smaller displacemen, late model LS engine in there? 4.8 or 5.3 would be awesome. TO save money, you'd have to go with someone's EFI controller (because all the EFI stuff is already on the engine: injectors, rails, etc.) but there's no arguing the power and efficiency of the newer engines.

You could get a painless ECU to run it, pretty affordably, and NO screwing around with tuning either. They have a simple MEFI ecu that is *far* less complex than trying to run it with the original GM computer. You could add a cam and springs for a better sounding idle and a little power...

I bet even with the EFI stuff, it'd give any crate motor a run for it's money. With a decent overdrive trans, you will get crazy good economy out of it too. what about a T56 manual? does it have to be auto?
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I like 327s , big bore short stroke

Comment

a 5.3 is a 323.6 .......
                            most c/k 5.3 are good for at least 325 hp , and with efi , don't wear out ,whips a yukon xl around pretty good

Comment

DG has a good point! but if your hart is set on a 1st gen
                              sbc I would say a 383 or 406 with a highly modified 200r4
                              :D a 350 built with alum. heads would also be sweet
                              but gives up some cubes
                              COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
                              X