The Sky Is Cryin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sky Is Cryin

He was up there with my favorite guitarists of all time.
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Re: The Sky Is Cryin

I had the privilege of seeing him live seven times. I also saw Hendrix live. SRV was a much better guitarist and singer - but Jimi did it first and was probably a better song writer.

A tidbit - supposedly, Jimmy Vaughn has the SRV guitar. I keep hoping he'll dig it out for a tribute to his bro. Imagine Voodoo Chile on that old guitar one more time - won't be a dry eye in the house.

Dan

Comment

or Floodin' down in Texas - or any other number of great ones -

wasn't his brother with eThe Fabulous Thunderbirds ?
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Yep. A mighty fine player, too.

Dan

Comment

I saw him with Jeff Beck in Milwaukee in 1989. What a great rocker. The old stadium rumbled. RIP.
          President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Hendrix is in the CD player in the truck now (I love Red House) and I might just have to slip in Stevie Ray now.
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              I had the privilege of seeing him live seven times. I also saw Hendrix live. SRV was a much better guitarist and singer - but Jimi did it first and was probably a better song writer.

A tidbit - supposedly, Jimmy Vaughn has the SRV guitar. I keep hoping he'll dig it out for a tribute to his bro. Imagine Voodoo Chile on that old guitar one more time - won't be a dry eye in the house.

Dan
              Jimmie DOES have his little brother's "Number One" Strat...it's in a vault somewhere.

They brought it out and was disassembled by the guys at the Fender Custom Shop when they were prepping for an SRV "tribute" guitar. It's actually a "mongrel"...the neck and some other components are not original to the body.

playing .13's makes my fingertips sore as hell....I'll stick with my .010's, thanks.

Jimmie is/was a member of the Thunderbirds, and a fine player in his own right......but damn, Stevie Ray was GOOD.

Comment

I have several old videos of Stevie playing, my favorite of which is the Austin City Limits episode where he cranks it up with his brother, Jimmie. Man.... that stuff is good!

As far as his guitar being a mongrel, he actually had several differnt "mongrel" guitars.

He did, however, kick major ass and people around the world who try to pay him tribute by imitation fall short by comparison.

Good stuff!

Check this one out:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Ron
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

As always with Stevie - WOW!!! One of the things I liked about him was that he was always willing to play second to Lucille or either Mr. King.

Dan

Comment

Trying to keep my inner guitar geek from creepi-...oh hell, who am I kidding?

;D

3 of my favorite guitar players on that stage...SRV, B.B., and the "Iceman"......Albert Collins' Tele had serious BITE, slung over one shoulder like a gunslinger.

Here's a tidbit for fellow guitar nerds/tone-chasers that aren't savvy:

B.B. King's deep, rich tone?

"Lucille" is strung with .008's....YES, .008's!!
                    Goes against conventional wisdom(heavier gauge strings produce deeper, fuller tone), but it's so effective, B.B. even convinced the good Rev. Billy F. Gibbons to switch!

Comment

I liked Stevie's playing for the most part, but right after he quit David Bowie's tour I saw him playing with Double Trouble in Chicago at the NAMM Show and he SUCKED! I walked out after a half-hour of shitty music with most of the audience.
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

He was doping pretty heavily at that point and was really off some nights. He got sober - and better.

Dan

Comment

I once saw a video of SRV where he began an unintelligible diatribe in the middle of a song, something like "That's the way blarg fluh bbbllsfkrs saryps". He then proceeded to rip an awesome guitar solo. Maybe someone here knows the video I'm referring to.

I was glad that he sobered up, but I have to admit that he was absolutely wicked on guitar, even when wrecked.

Comment

After he sobered up (BTW - he was taken to rehab by Eric Clapton, to the same place Slowhand got clean) he did a little rap in the middle of his sets to encourage folks to sober up, too. Sometimes they were inspirational, other times unintelligible. Stevie was NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer and was also very shy, so I guess the mixed results are to be expected.

Dan

Comment

Can you belive it has been almost 20 years since he died...
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X