Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bangshifters are the BEST-and road trips rule!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangshifters are the BEST-and road trips rule!

So this weekend I found what looked to be a smokin' deal on two El Caminos on craigslist but they're in Joplin, MO-160 miles away, and neither are drivable. I sent Cobey (Oldsman71) a PM since that's his neck of the woods to see if he could/would be interested in helping me get them up here-a lot to ask I know. He called me within the hour and said "Sure man-no problem!" I can't express how much I appreciate his offer of help.

Well I had to go down and check these things out and do the deal in person, and it looked like the kind of deal you couldn't wait around for or someone else was going to get it so I had to road trip down there this afternoon. I was really not looking forward the drive at all-five long boring hours in the saddle-so I started out with less than a positive attitude. As soon as I got out past the edge of "town" I began noticing that there seemed to be quite a few "cars that didn't suck" out on the highway. Over the course of the day I saw 2 Challengers, 3 Solstices-all with the top down, 4 Pontiac G8's, 5 Corvettes, and 6 LS1 Z28's! By far more than I would see in a day around town where it's all baby suv's and fwd crapwagens. I was starting to cheer up. Then a 69 K20 came down the ramp and merged in right by me. Not a nice one, just an old farm truck-but it was BEAUTIFUL. A good, honest, work truck. I noticed that there wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was a perfect day. I also noticed that farm land is BEAUTIFUL. It's especially nice this year because we've had such a mild summer with lots of rain and everything is so green and lush, but it's more than that. Farmland is also productivity, honest work, man using mature to better our lives, and that's a beautiful thing. 71 hiway through Missouri is wonderful road-four lanes divided like an Interstate but without the traffic and all "buildup" right next to it. It's not a "driver's" road-it's mostly straight and pretty flat. It is a great way to get where you need to be. There are a few places where you can see for a couple miles ahead of you laid out nice and straight and I was thinking "I could really shrink some distance here in a good car". It's a holiday weekend so there were a lot of out of state plates-Texas and Arkansas mostly-but it was people going where they wanted to go,self mobile,free to roam about the country-and that's a beautiful thing too. I was really into it now and not just enjoying it but appreciating it. I was in my own little personal space with the temperature set just like I like it and giving my speakers a thorough workout with just the music I wanted to hear right then yet I was still in that world going by outside the glass. I was no longer concerned with how much further I had to go, but for some reason my V-6 powered pickup insists on going 80mph-the motor just seems to be happy there-and it's Cadillac smooth at that speed. Soon enough I was there. Took me oh-less than a minute to figure out that neither car was as nice as I was expecting and I was going to pass. No matter, I was looking forward to the drive back. It was much the same as a the drive down except that I was enjoying myself from the start and everything I had just passed seemed to look better. I did pass a '70 or so C60 pulling a huge load of hay and it was beautiful-another good honest work truck doing it's job-still doing it's job. I got back home in what seemed like half the time it took to get there even though I was going the same speed both ways. It was a nothing special trip through nothing special scenery but when I stopped to look at what was around me there was a lot of good there to see. I don't think it would have been the same if it had been on the interstate, or maybe even on a different day, but it reminded me of the value of road trips, and especially of the fact that we are still free to take them-even for no reason at all. And there were a lot of other people out there enjoying the road with me today, or at least hope I they were. For me it was a day well spent.

I drove 342 miles in a fullsize pickup at 80mph with the a/c on and used 16.5 gallons of gas - 20.7 mpg. I spent $40 on gas for nothing and it was the best $40 I've spent in a while. I highly recommend it.

Re: Bangshifters are the BEST-and road trips rule!

Kris, that's a killer story, and I agree wholeheartedly. Road trips are the best.
    President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Fabulous story Kris, a few pics and that would have made an excellent Blog article.
      .. and I've found, after looking at many Elky's looking to buy,
      they are never in as good condition as you've been led to believe !
      I would like a '66 or '67.
      Good luck.
      ;D

Comment

Awesome. Sometimes Reni and I just drive out into the country and get "lost". Once we're done putzing around, we turn on the GPS and figure out where the heck we are! ;D
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
          Sometimes Reni and I just drive out into the country and get "lost". Once we're done putzing around, we turn on the GPS and figure out where the heck we are!
          That's great Bob, driving around without a care in the world, getting hopelessly lost and then when you are ready to turn around and go home, you just switch on the Garmin and punch the "Home" button and PRESTO, you're home !!!
          ;D

Comment

Good story 4 speed ;).I like road trips 24-7-365.Snow or sun.

Pics would have been great,but you told your story so nice,that it doesnt matter

Comment

Life is good.

Seth
              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Thanks for the great story. Except you didn't tell us if you hooked up with Cobey once you got there. I hope you did - one of my joys has become hooking up with BSers. Sounds like you have the ol' pickup dialed in about right with THAT kind of FE.

Dan

Comment

Road trips are the best. Just time to be alone with no distractions.
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

dang, with a pic or two that would make a nice piece in a magazine. Loved it!

I have driven that same road MANY times, so I can identify with your observations about Farm country this time of year...
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Thanks guys-I expected that I would be confirming my geek status, but that story was in me and had to get out.

Originally posted by DanStokes
                      Thanks for the great story. Except you didn't tell us if you hooked up with Cobey once you got there. I hope you did - one of my joys has become hooking up with BSers. Sounds like you have the ol' pickup dialed in about right with THAT kind of FE.

Dan
                      Cobey and I didn't hook up on this trip, he lives about 40 miles north west of where the cars are, but we will soon. We met briefly during the great Cannonball adventure.

Aside from the lowering and the bed cover GM did all the dialing in on the truck-and it turned over 210K miles in the process.

I had a camera sitting on the seat beside me the whole time and never thought about-too wrapped up in the moment I guess.

Evidence of a day well spent-

javascript:void(0);

Comment

Lowering helps a bunch. Something I keep saying I'm going to do to the Dakota.

Dan

Comment

the funny thing was that I was going to KC at the same time to go to
                          one of our sister churchs cookouts, and see a school building they are buying

man Kris, I am very glad you enjoyed the trip :D I felt bad for you when said
                          you drove so far to look at them elco's and found them to be too crunched.
                          hopefully I will catch you soon to get the tires and have a good visit! thanks again
                          cobey
                          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

FYI - there's a VERY good looking and apparently nearly stock '69 Elco here in town. It's had a "For Sale" sign on it for several years and I keep forgetting to stop and look. Maybe it's still for sale because he wants a million $$ for it or maybe the frame is gone or something, but it looks pretty good just driving by. If someone is seriously interested I'll make a trip over and shoot some pics. It's across town so I don't get by there every day but it's not TOO far. BTW - NO vinyl top!

Dan

Comment

Sounds to have been a good day Kris! I would have been there with Cobey and I also had planned to help out with the transfer of the ElCo's had it gone down. You aren't too far away and I'm sure we'll hook up sometime in the near future!

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X