What do YOU build a car for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do YOU build a car for?

So, as I notice my posts went 999, 1000.... (just getting warmed up!) and I ponder my truck as it sits without a wire in it... and I sit here trying to figure out whether to put a small ci SBC screamer into a 4000lb truck with an auto... or just build a completely new car (roadster?) for it... or just put a turbo on it (easy :)... or smack myself in the forehead with a brick and go through the pain (fun?) of putting a 4- or 5-speed in it....

To drag... or not to drag...

To cruise... or not to cruise... that is the question.

So, what do YOU build your ride for?

Re: What do YOU build a car for?

To drive the snot out of......Lots of miles.....HARD miles. (as evidenced by the pile of broken parts) :P

I like to beat on them....racing, cruising, and messing around.

That is what I love about them.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

depends on the car, and what other cars you have....

it's hard and expensive to build a car that will do everything at a high level
      - the whole pro touring thing has gotten totally out of hand in that chase.

For the truck, I would keep it simple, reliable and fun.

Wickedly fast cars can be fun - when they are not breaking parts and sucking your wallet dry.

Fun cars that are reliable and easy to play with / maintain / improve is where I see myself heading.

I've spent too much time working on stuff - and not enough time enjoying it.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm building mine as a fun weekend cruiser, something that will take me back to a happier and simpler time. Not a race car, not a show car, something I could drive everyday if I choose.
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
          To drive the snot out of......Lots of miles.....HARD miles. (as evidenced by the pile of broken parts) :P

Seth

Kind of sums it up.

For me, mostly street/strip, cruise, and abuse.

Comment

Apparently, I build them to break them to fix them to break them again to fix them to.... you get the picture.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by min301
              For me, mostly street/strip, cruise, and abuse.
              x2

Comment

To drive them, plain and simple. Each car has it's own purpose though.

Skylark- Fun loud car, aka my go fast car, drive it where ever.
                Centurion- My cruiser for laid back driving. Has a bench seat, chicks dig it ;) Great for watching firework shows as well.
                Thunderbird- My classy car, it's what I drive for attention where I go. Plus it's a 4-dr so if I'm driving a group. Plus it's
                quiet and quite nice.

I beat on all of them :P
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

This is something I gave a lot of thought to about the direction of my Mustang (when it hits the road). I want the car to be fun to drive on the street. It must do a lot of things halfway decent. Since any professional racer is going to build or tune their car for each specific track, I look at the street as my track and goal. I'm trying to balance cost, results and my abilities as a driver. Any mods are going to be for a reason and not to show off.

I want it so that if some one drove it they may not notice what's been done but to keep them guessing....in a pleasant way.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

depends on the car. 55 was built do drive and to be able to go reasonably quick. I guess all my other ones are to have sitting around needing work for something to do when I get bored....
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm fortunate enough to be able to have a fleet so no car has to do it all.

First of all, the Dakota is bone stock and my DD. Someday I'd like a little more engine (maybe a crate 360) to help with trailer pulling, and a 2 or 3" lowering job.

The Mustang is supposed to be a street/strip build w/full emissions compliance. Now, if I just installed a battery, shortened the E-brake cable, and got it inspected I could actually DO some of those things with it.

The Camaro is, of course, an LSR car - strictly. No strip, no street driving - just LSR. Lots of tubing inside, no interior to speak of. Z-rated tires. The idea is to build it as if it will go 200 MPH then someday get the power to make that happen. It still needs lots of stuff - fuel cell, fire system, etc, etc.

So for me, the answer to your question is "depends on which car".

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                        depends on the car, and what other cars you have....

it's hard and expensive to build a car that will do everything at a high level
                        - the whole pro touring thing has gotten totally out of hand in that chase.

For the truck, I would keep it simple, reliable and fun.

Wickedly fast cars can be fun - when they are not breaking parts and sucking your wallet dry.

Fun cars that are reliable and easy to play with / maintain / improve is where I see myself heading.

I've spent too much time working on stuff - and not enough time enjoying it.
                        This is me realistically. I spent the last few years prepping car to do things that I have never done. More time working on them than driving them everywhere. I am done with laying on my back under a car. Just wanna drive and maybe get to race if the opportunity presents itself.
                        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Primarily cruising with a little misbehavin' thrown in... ;D

Comment

to prove my moral superiority

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell

Seth
                              I am with Seth here, I am not looking for a weekend show winner...I just want something I can beat the snot out of, something that when I drop the go pedal it mashes my skull into the speaker tray...Maybe something I can wash and wax and take to a cruise and then to the track, and if someone dings the door I dont have to lose my mind. I want to put miles on it..not worry about dash plaques or trophies...and I dont even have to win races, it just needs to pass tech....
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X