New Shop Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shop Toy

Here's a couple of pics of the latest addition to the shop along with the reason I needed it. Harbor Freight had 'em on sale.

It's just the 12 ton. Seems like plenty for this purpose and if I get an axle bearing or something that I can't move, my friend Dave has a 20 ton. Usually 12 tons and some Big Heat will press anything.

Here's the set up for the cam gear (off). The press plates were included and the bearing splitter was on sale too. I'm planning to use the bearing splitter behind the fuel pump eccentric to push the gear onto the new cam - I'm not using the eccentric anyway. That way I'll see if it causes any damage without risking anything I need.

I had hoped to find a used one, preferably American made. Was not to be, at least in the time frame I needed it.

You guys have any cool new junk?

Dan

Re: New Shop Toy

Nice Press Dan. Have the Engine torn apart ALREADY? ~J/W.

Comment

Dan, now you can "press the issue " if you have to. I suggest making a plywood box at the base with some old foam to catch the falling parts incase you miss, or need to stand in a safe place while using. More than once its save a part slaming the concrete on me.
      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Good thought. I had kind of kicked that around a bit but your suggestion makes it seem like an even better idea. Now if I just had some grapes.....

Dan

Comment

"Cheese and crackers to go with your wine" as I say to my wife. ;D
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

pinion gears make such a nice ping on the concrete floor

Comment

be carefull with the press plates there cast iron and will break been there done that

Comment

I figured I'd buy some better stuff once this cast stuff breaks. Right up until then I guess they're strong enough! We had a 100 ton Dake at work - I'm a little bit spoiled! That sucker would press the world. But I think this will do most of what I need.

Dan

Comment

Ya know Dan... I've got a 60 ton... and frankly... your 12 looks better for 99% of the work it does...

I'd say that was a dang good call...

K

Comment

Thanks Keith! That's reassuring - from a guy with 60 tons at his disposal. For me these decisions are often driven be immediate need and available fundage. Oh - and we have a Harbor Freight in town, and a Sears with a crappy tool department.

Dan

Comment

I got a press when I got my hoist and blaster from Smith's in Indy - so far it's been one of those tools that I don't use often, but when I need it - I wonder how I ever got along with out it.

it's amazing how creative you can get with "press tooling" just don't force stuff - it's way ez to break iron castings when you have that much pressing power at your disposal.

Unfortunately - the HF selection of bearing and seal drivers - hasn't been very "universal" in my experience - unless you work on minibikes and lawnmowers exclusively.

One of the things on my short list is a u joint / ball joint press / c clamp thing -- I've needed one of those enough times that one needs to be hanging on my pegboard.... I think I'd rather get a used lisle or otc type than a cheapy - for some reason - i see me breaking a cheapy pretty quick.... I have that STOOPID split front axle D50 in my truck I need to rebuild.... I've heard that generally requires a torch, a big hammer, and a great deal of swearing and sweat to get done.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Replace those plates NOW. On one of the forums I read it took multiple stitches near an eye to fix the user. :-[
                        Nick

Comment

I've got the 20 ton model, works pretty well. I had to get one after breaking a couple 2 ton arbor presses. You'll be happy with it. I didn't hear about the plates breaking, though, I better get rid of those things.

Comment

don't think jeep or 4 runner axles will fit in there
                            the old wheel and air hammer trick

Comment

The good news is that I don't DO Jeep and 4Runner axles. My neighbor has an older Grand Cherokee but we'll send the axles out if need be - it's his toy, anyhow.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X