Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Runner volume chart for vintage SBC heads? Old Chevy High article?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner volume chart for vintage SBC heads? Old Chevy High article?

Seems like about a dozen years ago, I had a copy of Chevy High Performance magazine that had a great chart in it that showed the runner volume, combustion chamber CC and other vital specs of SBC heads. Hmmm... thinking about it, it might have been as far back as the late '80s that they had that chart. :

It's a long shot, but does anyone remember it? And it's an even longer shot, but does anyone know the runner volume of -291 double hump heads?

Mortec has the specs for the -461 and -461X heads, but no others. I'd like to compare them to the -291 heads I have.

-Brad

Re: Runner volume chart for vintage SBC heads? Old Chevy High article?

-291 = 160-170cc if I am remembering correctly.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Lemme dig out an old book.

291's are virtually identical to 462's according to David Vizard's book on Chevy's. Used generally in '68. He doesn't give actual numbers, but Brian sounds right.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

go ask any old econo altered driver
        the 461X was the monster

Comment

"461" heads were cast with either 3782461 or 3782461X. Both were excellent OEM heads. Neither had accessory holes. Both were used between '64-'66 on the 327cid and had 64cc chambers. The "standard" 461 head's intake port volume was 161cc, exhaust was 62cc. Valves were 2.02/1.60". Double hump casting marks. The "X" casting had the same port configuration; yet, larger intake port volume. Intake port volume was 172cc, with the same exhaust at 62cc. Yet, valves were smaller at 1.94/1.50". Double hump casting also.

The "291" head was cast as 3912291 and 3917291. Another good OEM head. Used on '67-'68 302/327/350cid. Either 2.02/160" or 1.94/1.50" valves. 64cc chambers on both. Intake port volume was 161cc, exhaust 65cc. Double hump castings as well, with no accessory holes.
          Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem View Post
            "461" heads were cast with either 3782461 or 3782461X. Both were excellent OEM heads. Neither had accessory holes. Both were used between '64-'66 on the 327cid and had 64cc chambers. The "standard" 461 head's intake port volume was 161cc, exhaust was 62cc. Valves were 2.02/1.60". Double hump casting marks. The "X" casting had the same port configuration; yet, larger intake port volume. Intake port volume was 172cc, with the same exhaust at 62cc. Yet, valves were smaller at 1.94/1.50". Double hump casting also.

The "291" head was cast as 3912291 and 3917291. Another good OEM head. Used on '67-'68 302/327/350cid. Either 2.02/160" or 1.94/1.50" valves. 64cc chambers on both. Intake port volume was 161cc, exhaust 65cc. Double hump castings as well, with no accessory holes.
            Just curious, where do you find this info? I am looking for a chart that specs out all chevy heads.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
              go ask any old econo altered driver
              the 461X was the monster
              Hey Jim, It's great to hear from you again!
              sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post

His post was from 2009 =\
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I was just reading about those 461x heads. Back in the old Econo Class those heads were in so much demand they were asking $3000 a pair for them! That was in the early 70's.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

okay, let's derail a 4 year old thread... it's Bangshift!

3000 in 1970's money? Holy sheet! I think my folks paid like 2400.00 for a 1974 Vega brand new.
                    Last edited by Beagle; March 10, 2013, 12:40 PM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally Posted by Grumpy

His post was from 2009 =\

OOP's, I need to start paying attention to the dates!
                      sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        okay, let's derail a 4 year old thread... it's Bangshift!

3000 in 1970's money? Holy sheet! I think my folks paid like 2400.00 for a 1974 Vega brand new.
                        Kinda killed the whole econo part of Econo Class.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X