X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 words of the day

Never Forget.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I was installing a garage door at a place up in the mountains. Way back in the woods, far from the road; it was quite peaceful. The lady homeowner came downstairs all dazed looking and said something to the effect of "everything is normal down here, at least." It took a minute or two for her to establish what exactly she was talking about. I found out about it right about the time the second tower came down.

I immediately tried to get in touch with my cousins who lived/worked in Manhattan. It was pretty stressful for a day or two until we were able to make contact. Thankfully everyone was ok. One is a nurse and the other a doctor; they both spent something like 26 hours on duty taking care of firefighters and cops who had respiratory problems and other issues from the dust and smoke.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

7th grade science class, someone walked in and told my teacher about it, he put the tv on in a few minutes before the second plane hit. Every teacher had the tv on that day, at least until flight 93 went down, then we had to go back to learning. At that point, I don't think many kids realized what was going on, I know it didn't sink in for me until later that night.

Comment

I came walking into the engine test cell control room. Our test engineer who is my friend Brian was standing by the computer cabinet and told us that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers. At that point some news reports thought it was a private plane and we thought it was an accident. We all reported to the lobby. Off the lobby were conference rooms with TVs, which we turned on. The second plane hit and at that point we all knew what was going on.

Remember, I'm in a major Government facility with little security other than a few armed rental guards. Two doors down is the Islamic Center (Mosque). Our security officials were, of course, on high alert. There was no precedent. They conferred with the Ann Arbor police and a couple of real cops were stationed in the driveway - not sure what they could have done. We were released to go home. I got home just about the time the plane was crashed in Shanksville.

We all knew that the world, as we knew it, had shifted on its axis. We were off for a few days while they decided what to do - what security changes to make, etc. A perimeter was established (which is now maintained with a wrought iron fence), a tank trap type entry gate was ordered and is now in place, we stopped doing public tours (we always had tours on Earth Day for anyone who wanted to come), the rent-a-cops became much fussier about our ID badges, we had to swipe our cards to get into various areas of the building - all kinds of inconveniences that we knew had to be done. They had to do SOMETHING. Still, we couldn't help but think that it was pretty much window dressing - if the bad guys wanted to bomb us, they would and could.

The folks at the Islamic Center were great. At first they laid low and then they opened the Center to anyone who wanted to come in. They sent out speakers to anyplace that wanted them so they could apologize that these horrors were performed in the name of Islam. They then explained that the Koran does NOT condone these kinds of acts, especially against innocent people. The Imam was all over the media trying to help in any way he could. I firmly believe that most Islamics, like most of any of the rest of us, are just trying to raise their families and get by as best as they can. The few crazies, however, need to be dealt with. I'd hate to think that Christians were all judged by the actions of the Rev. Jim Jones - or Timothy McVey.

So anyhow - my life changed that day. A few years later I was able to retire and not a day goes by that I don't think of all those folks who will never have had that chance. May they rest in peace and may their families find some comfort.

Dan

Comment

i will never forget it hit close to home both ways .live in metro dc area and one of my friends step mom died in the pentagon

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              The folks at the Islamic Center were great. At first they laid low and then they opened the Center to anyone who wanted to come in. They sent out speakers to anyplace that wanted them so they could apologize that these horrors were performed in the name of Islam. They then explained that the Koran does NOT condone these kinds of acts, especially against innocent people. The Imam was all over the media trying to help in any way he could. I firmly believe that most Islamics, like most of any of the rest of us, are just trying to raise their families and get by as best as they can. The few crazies, however, need to be dealt with. I'd hate to think that Christians were all judged by the actions of the Rev. Jim Jones - or Timothy McVey.
              Very well said Dan.

We heard nothing but air traffic; within an hour of the second crash, several planes were diverted to Abbotsford, BC. It was an eerie feeling that such an event in NY would immediately impact our little city.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr
                Never Forget.
                NEVER FORGIVE !

Comment

Working...
                X