Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runway top-speed crash.

Originally posted by ImpalaKonrad
    its amazing how diffrent you drive 500 horses if you buy them as opposed to building them yourself!
    well said!
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

A guy I used to work with was selling a '70 Buick Skylark GS455 that loped at idle, ran easy 12's, at the Pomona Swap Meet. (I would have bought it except I had just bought my Firebird a few months earlier) Anyways back to the story, a Father and son came up and the Father made an offer on the car for the full amount he was asking for saying he was buying it for his 15 year old son. The guy refused to sell it to the Father saying he would be setting his kid up to kill himself in a lapbelt only car with that much power. The Father was a little peeved, but walked away. The car was eventually sold for the asking price to someone else.

Of Course as the son it would have been awesome to have a car like that as a first car, but would probably would have wrecked it. I was glad my first car had an anemic V-6, taught me to drive before I could go fast.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

1fast mopar has it right. parents should be teaching kids to respect their cars, its an awsome responsibility. I was lucky as a kid as my father taught me that respect early. As it was my first car was a 68 Barracuda 340-S when I was 16 ;D it spooked me a couple of times and had nowhere near the power of the Bimmer. These accidents are very sad but hopefully someone can learn from it

Comment

The sad part is, is that he could have paid $50 for a Membership to the ECTA and could have raced his brains out safely, and then have something to talk about.

Makes me want to go out and buy some of the Street Racers here in Greenville, SC a Membership. Try to get them into something before they get out of hand.

Comment

Darwin award worth idiotic crash into tree after 200ft of flying
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Gene pool adjustment...

Nuff said...

Keith

Comment

There was a bad accident in my neck of the woods. A 16 YO with a learner's permit wanted to find out the top speed of his friend's Jetta. Both were killed after hitting a tree or something. He left 300' of skid marks, can you just imagine the fear and panic in those last 300' ?
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

It is just mystifying to me that a parent would actually buy such a car for a young kid. ??? Keith's right -- shallow end of the gene pool indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ImpalaKonrad
                    its amazing how diffrent you drive 500 horses if you buy them as opposed to building them yourself!
                    That's about as good as you can put it. I'm going to steal this quote to use in other forums :D.
                    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                      Gene pool adjustment...

Nuff said...

Keith
                      IMO the gene pool adjustment should have been the parents for providing that vehicle for their kid. Wrong people died for any kind of adjustment.
                      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

I hope I can make my young son understand that it's ok to say stop this car and let me the hell out if he finds himself in danger. I couldn't bear to lose my son in a senseless tragedy like that. Just plain sad. No, my boy won't be in a high powered car on the street either. I'll put him in something close to a suburban for his first car.

Comment

There were three other people there that could have stopped this stupidity... None did... the Parents... the get to live with the decisions they've made... nobody else was hurt...

K

Comment

There are a lot of people that think they are drivers :, anyone can go fast when nothing is going wrong, a driver knows what to when its not going right, there are few drivers.
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

How long has this been happening? For as long as I can remember, and that' a long time.

I think VTJUNK hit the nail on the head, there are alot of new cars out there that are WAY above the driving skills of most people. It reminds me of the "Superbike" proliferation of the mid '80s, when some kid who had never ridden anything bigger than a 250cc dirt bike went out and bought a GSXR 1000 Suzuki and died a week later.
                              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

It's sad to think a parent would let their kid out in something like that. My son wants something fast just like I did at his age, but he's getting a 6 cylinder Ranchero to learn on, the fast stuff can come later when I feel he's responsible enough to handle it.

Nik

Comment

Working...
                                X