Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runway top-speed crash.

Ouch.

My condolences go out to all 5 families. I guess all that safety equipment is necessary at 140 mph.

(Go ahead and delete this thread if it's a dupe.)
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Re: Runway top-speed crash.

:
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I feel Sorry for the Families.
      If your gonna be Dumb, You gotta be Tuff.

Comment

I work at a Ford dealership and see all kinds of people buying cars that are way out their league. Kids, old women, guys who have never owned anything but a truck. These are the people buying the new Shelby GT 500.

I'm sorry, but with the new cars putting out insane levels of power to the general public, just because your credit score says yes doesn't mean you should be able to drive it away.

Remember, when the factories were selling cars in the '60s with 500 HP you had to be someone in the know just to get one. Not anymore and this is the result. I know you can drive anything fast enough to get killed in it, but with a less powerful car you might not be tempted to show off in it.

Comment

I can honestly say I have never exceeded 100 mph with a passenger. By myself.......well, thats another story

Comment

You know, how many of us could have been these kids.... I know could have been that kid soooo many times over. Dont know if its luck or what, thankfuly I got that crap out of my system when I was 16 and 17 and I managed to do it without killing anyone. I read this the other day....the passengers I feel sorry for...the driver...not so much.

Comment

It almost sounds like a suicide. What a tragedy.

Comment

A tragedy for sure.

Comment

Some of the high-end European cars include a performance driving school with the price of the car. Ford should do the same with the GT500 (and the GT supercar when it was being sold), Chrysler with the Viper, and GM with any of the new Corvettes, as well as Caddy with any of the V series cars.

I instruct at some club HPDEs, and the variance in skill level in the novices is pretty eye-opening ... especially considering the capabilities of some of the cars the people show up in.

cheers
                  Ed N.
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I've seen a lot of pictures of wrecked Ford GT's, Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, etc. on this website:

It's pretty clear that a lot of the people who have the money to buy something like this just don't have the common sense or driving skill to handle it. Handing a 500 hp M5 to an 18-year old is pretty stupid. You'd better make sure he's mature enough to handle it, and then take him to a high performance driving school, or he's probably going to kill someone. The high insurance rates from all the guys wrecking them is one of the things that killed the muscle cars off the first time around. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

Comment

its amazing how diffrent you drive 500 horses if you buy them as opposed to building them yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by ImpalaKonrad
                        its amazing how diffrent you drive 500 horses if you buy them as opposed to building them yourself!
                        I learned to drive in a '78 Ford LTD II 4 door sedan, 302 2bbl. It was brown, with a tan vinyl top, and could not get out of it's own way. Lots of steel, and no street racing potential at all. The opposite of cool, but I'm still here. When I got my '72 Charger SE, it required a lot of trips to the junkyard to get parts, and I saw firsthand what happens when you crash a car. It kind of made an impression. When you've seen head-shaped dents in a windshield, you might remember to fasten your seat belt. I think when you have to pay for it yourself, and put your own time and effort, blood sweat and tears into it, you're less likely to take huge risks on the street. If my dad had bought me a Hemi Cuda when I was 17, I probably would have crashed it. A lot of my friends crashed whatever their parents gave them.

Comment

The parents who put this kid in that car should be haunted by this their whole lives... 500HP is a BUNCH of power for a street car in the hands of a teenager w/ a lack of respect for it... Unfortunitly this kid took a few of his friends with him.. I'm sure this ones not over, a sharp lawyer is gonna be allover this one representing the other dead kids as he should be. I drove fast as a kid, but I had been racing something ever since I was about 5 y/o so I had some respect for what I had.. I wore seatbelts when it wasn't even a law, NONE of the other kids I hung with did, hell, most of my friends with muscle cars didn't even have seat belts in their cars.

Comment

I still remember what my Grand Dad told me when I was 16 and kept talking about getting a muscle car.

"The most expensive car in the world does not come with the talent to drive it. First, learn how to drive."
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Responsibilty and maturity is a hard thing to learn when you are handed a car like that at 18. I know at 18, I thought I was mature and responsible. Now I look at an 18 year old like he's a little kid. This kind of thing can really hit close to home in many ways. I always worry about my 20 year olds driving habits. When he got his license, he went out and bought a really nice Acura Integra. I hope that making car payments and knowing that his car was not just handed over to him will make him more responsible and safe...

Comment

Working...
                              X