Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Banned for life - no more big car shows

Originally posted by HotRodLadyCrusr

Burnouts in an uncontrolled situation lead to tragedy....just ask the folks (yes thats plural) that died this past summer at a car event in TN when a car did a burnout, lost control and smashed into a crowd of people watching. Oh wait, you can't ask them cuz they are DEAD.

The owners of Championship have a multi million dollar organization to protect, I don't balme them one bit.

BTW, ALOT of the folks helping out at their shows are members of local car clubs and not paid employees of Championship. They can say whatever they want to say, doesn't mean it's "legal" or allowed. Burnout are illegal and STUPID to do in a crowded situation.

Exactly what I was thinking......that was one ugly accident in TN and when spectators get killed people take notice.

Even in burnouts.....debris gets thrown around and all it takes one person to get hit and it's lawyer time.
    I know many do burnouts after local car cruises but I can see that coming to a halt soon.....we've all done it.
    Last year while leaving a small car show we lined up for burnouts.....when it came my turn I was just getting into it and someone ran across the street......I was able to shut it down with no problems but just shows what can happen.

Just like the bumper sticker says.......'Sh*t Happens
    Chalk it up to experience

Comment

I seem to remember a car doing a burnout, just like every other car did, and years of doing it, then this year it went into the croud, killed some hurt a bunch, now there will be a lot of people missing the show this year.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLadyCrusr
        Burnouts in an uncontrolled situation lead to tragedy....just ask the folks (yes thats plural) that died this past summer at a car event in TN when a car did a burnout, lost control and smashed into a crowd of people watching. Oh wait, you can't ask them cuz they are DEAD.
        Did the burnout in your sig kill anyone?

I agree it's not smart to do with a crowd around and personally I like to save my tires for the track, but I don't think we need a lecture about the ills of burnouts here. And it was not a totally uncontrolled situation, since he left out a "back door" that didn't have as many people around (but obviously not controlled enough for the organizer's comfort). BTW, he's a professional stunt driver and knows how to handle what he has.
        Tampa, FL

Comment

Very controlled situation in my case, on a burnout pad with my rear chained down and most of the folks behind a fence.

Yep, I've been stupid before in the past but I like learning from others mistakes instead of my own. When you make your own mistakes they can be very costly and I've worked WAY TOO HARD thoughtout my life to lose my "stuff" over something stupid like a burnout or DRAG RACING ON A PUBLIC STREET.

Comment

Sorry, as soon as I saw this thread title, I thought of Apu from The Simpsons ... "You are banned for life!! Thank you come again." ;D

cheers
            Ed N.
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I know at Good-guys shows if you get caught doing a burnout your gone. but only for that weekend. they feel that the risk outway the entertainment factor.
              But with more drag racing at midwest good-guys shows and the new autocross courses you can beat your heap all you want.
              Reading , Pa
              Good Guys rodders rep.
              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Well, I think they should let him back in, and FIRE whoever gave him the OK to do the burnout.
                Originally posted by MadmanMark
                My bro just got his show registrations returned for both his 73 Z28s from ChevyVetteFest in Chicago. He's been going for more than 10 years and when they give him the OK to do a burnout, he does a crowd pleaser. The show is twice a year and many times they say no burnouts, and he cooperates.

I kind of don't like car shows anyway, so I said let it go. His cars shine and are pretty fast. One is a semi-stock 383 (all stock quadrajet with new crank/rods/pistons and worked on heads) that goes 12.5 and the green one making smoke in the picture hits high 10s/low 120s w/o the 350 shot of juice (427 dart sbc). They're both Type LT RS Z28s. He's got a lot of pride in what he's done and seems to like the big show (vettefest) almost as much as going to the track.

I was curious what people think he should do? Let it go? Plead his case? (Although he tried this and supposedly someone from the show's insurance company saw the last display, has it on tape, and said no to the 1st plea - even though the show workers at the exit door told him to go for it.) Have one of his friends register the cars? I'm telling him to let it go, but ask for a copy of the tape.

Comment

cruises are with real grassroots people usually condone burnouts dont scoff at rust and primer (which is finer) .Carshowson the other hand tend to draw the " my car is and investment barret jackson crowd" so i say cut your losses cruise it and call it good.its not really worth fighting for...

Comment

Reminds of that Seinfeld episode . . . "no soup for you!" rather, "no car show for you" ;D

Seriously though, I think your brother would fit in better at a Drag Week type event. Lots of gratuitous burnouts, plenty of drag racing, and beating the heck out of some really nice cars.

Comment

I'd park the Car right out in front of the Car Show. Everyone going in would see it. Get there really Early and park the Car. On the way home do a Burnout somewhere. I'd even get a T-shirt that said Burnout on it and go to the Show. He could have a lot of fun with it. Or he could go to other Shows.

Comment

nice camaros
                        insurers are extra nuts since the people got killed in tennesee , your brother got singled out , cameras are everywhere , find a new place to go , like the drags

Comment

Originally posted by Groucho
                          Well, I think they should let him back in, and FIRE whoever gave him the OK to do the burnout.
                          It was probably a volunteer, kinda hard to fire someone that wasn't hired. I'd hate to be the car that was behind him. I was at a show recently and while exiting the car in front does a burnout. My car got the crap that he threw, now I have even more paint missing on the front of my car. If I had a new paint job it would have been a different story.

Comment

tell him he rulz.
                            I think it's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                            X