Bring Back Real Street Eliminator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring Back Real Street Eliminator

I still think CC's Real Street Eliminator was one of the coolest things they ever did. I think that really fits with the theme of this site, have it in a regionals form then have the winners meet someplace at a major event and hash it out.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Bring Back Real Street Eliminator

I liked it when gas milage was taken into account...after a while it wasnt even a consideration. I remember some of the cars knocking down 17-18 MPG...I think it was the turbo buick in one of the first RSE that had the best MPG....

Comment

I always looked forward to reading about RSE. I thought they should have it twice a year. Remember the white Fairmont? I think it won the year it entered. I wanted one after that. Bought a 79 Fairmont Futura 302. It was a great car, some mods, lots of fun. Last time I saw it was at a car show, it won it's class. Had a Mustang interior swapped in, new paint, but the mechanicals were the same as when I had it.

Comment

I'd gladdly enter my Riviera when its done. I always thought it was the best balance of show and go competetion. I think there should be 2 classes though, the builder class and the Super Builder Showdown. Invite Troy, Steve Strope, Chip Foose, and maybe even Boyd to bring out one of thier creations for the finals and that should draw a crowd.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Here's the odd thing: EVERYONE seems to mention that RSE was one of their favorite things in magazine. But when we put out invitations for people to bring their cars, virtually no one applies. I remember getting seven applicants one year, and it was six stock new Corvettes and a T-bucket. Also, when you put anything related to RSE on the cover of the magazine, the newsstand sales tank badly--and that's based on looking at many years of sales, not just my own years as editor.

Comment

That is just bizzare, I wonder why that is? Maybe its the distance or the somewhat more limited interest in autocross than drag racing. I still want it back and I'd definately prep a car for it if you held it.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Probably goes with the no one seems to want to see tech on paint and body work, yet that was the biggest magazine seller (If I remember right)
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Who wants to see 400 turbo LS1's show up? :
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                  Here's the odd thing: EVERYONE seems to mention that RSE was one of their favorite things in magazine. But when we put out invitations for people to bring their cars, virtually no one applies. I remember getting seven applicants one year, and it was six stock new Corvettes and a T-bucket. Also, when you put anything related to RSE on the cover of the magazine, the newsstand sales tank badly--and that's based on looking at many years of sales, not just my own years as editor.
                  IMO, nobody wants to let someone they don't know drive their car. Hire professional drivers for PGD or DW and watch the applications tank. Weren't RSE cars driven by judges?
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I think it was a ride along program for the judges, they drove like 20min then switched cars.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Oh. Ooops. :-[

Mebbe it was cuz cars tend to gravitate towards one function or another, and the car that actually can do all things well is rare. Cars weren't going 8's AND cornering over 1g, so it wasn't spectacular. DW and the PGD's are spectacular cuz of the big numbers people lay down, so there is a lot of interest.

DF, how are magazine sales when DW and PGD's are on the cover?
                      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

What about the Coupe Deville! That was great! I think alot of times people feel like "ahh my car cant get in that" and dont even try. We wanted a friend of mine with an 85 z28 that he bought new and kind of turned it into an early pro touring car years ago to enter but how was he going to get time of work then get the car to CA form NY? It would have been a great contender though.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta

Those fail as well.

Comment

Dave, - Kind of off topic but --

Do you think that the reason covers with racing as a lead fail is the movement of younger buyers caring more about how cars look versus how they perform? I think I remember from somewhere that paint and body were your biggest sellers. Is this due to the lack of knowledge and the costs associated with sourcing out the paint work? Or is it part of the how it looks versus performance mentality of the younger generation? Bet if you had a Nascar ride on the cover it would fly off the shelves and then lose half of your loyal audience.

On another note - How is attendence at the drags versus say 20 years ago? Has everyone migrated to Nascar - Their numbers are crazy.

I know some of the import forums and my teenagers friends could tell you what brand of wheel and the cost of any car in a parking lot but couldn' tell you what engine was under the hood. Thank God my kids can actually work on their cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                              Originally posted by dagenesta

Those fail as well.
                              Hmmm - interesting. Those are my favorite issues....

Comment

Working...
                              X