Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bring Back Real Street Eliminator

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
    I still think CC's Real Street Eliminator was one of the coolest things they ever did. I think that really fits with the theme of this site, have it in a regionals form then have the winners meet someplace at a major event and hash it out.
    i used to look forward to RSE in CC every year. great reading and bench racing material.

Comment

Originally posted by VWMMP
      Dave, - Kind of off topic but --

Do you think that the reason covers with racing as a lead fail is the movement of younger buyers caring more about how cars look versus how they perform? I think I remember from somewhere that paint and body were your biggest sellers. Is this due to the lack of knowledge and the costs associated with sourcing out the paint work? Or is it part of the how it looks versus performance mentality of the younger generation? Bet if you had a Nascar ride on the cover it would fly off the shelves and then lose half of your loyal audience.

On another note - How is attendence at the drags versus say 20 years ago? Has everyone migrated to Nascar - Their numbers are crazy.

I know some of the import forums and my teenagers friends could tell you what brand of wheel and the cost of any car in a parking lot but couldn' tell you what engine was under the hood. Thank God my kids can actually work on their cars.
      Horspower and racing are my favorite things. put those words on the cover of the magazine that i work for and the sales are mediocre at best. Put the words "paint & body, body mods, graphics, airbrushing, or sheet metal" in any order or combination you like on the cover and i can count on a boost in sales. I don't think people are necessarily painting their trucks or cars at home based on the stories they are reading in the mag, but i do think they love to see what their car or truck could look like. Paint and body stories, no matter how narrow in focus tend to show them exactly that. I keep waiting for readers to get burnt out on seeing those stories repeated but it hasn't happened yet. The rub is that those stories are the most time consuming to produce and rank right up with custom engine builds in terms of the number of hurdles you have to overcome to get them into the magazine.

Comment

I still have the low buck camaro that I entered for RSE a while back. I am going to a bigger fuel cell, and maybe a different engine this year since I really should build a stronger bottom end to the turbo motor if I am going to upgrade the compressor to a 60-1.

Have a real street eliminator type event and I will try to make it.

Comment

Paint issues are a PITA, but they nearly always sell. I can see that would be even more true with Sport Truck.

Comment

Feel free to Pimp My Paint on SEERED anytime since it is 1989 vintage color/clear and will need a face lift in the near future. I could see her now on the cover with me sitting on the fender just like Dale JR ;D. He is just better looking and alot fatter in the wallet!

Comment

Pump Gas Drag issues were among some of my favorite issues to receive. Especially while deployed, it always made me so homesick. I think the reason magazine sales on the racks tanked during this time was due to not really having a personal connection to the people and events. A lot of readers dont read every issue, someone referred to those readers as fringe subscribers i believe? so when a topic like DW or PGD hit the stands, it is often overlooked for other issues with more "technical" articles.

I believe this is something that is lost by going to the web. Its easier to follow these events and if you are new to it (or have been out of the loop) its easy to catch up. I liked reading about the specific cars and their owners. Who built what and where and how. I was always surprised to see who won every year. Most of the time it wasn't the most high tech but the most experienced guys and dependable proven methods.

Hopefully CJTV sees things as i do and we see more events like this.

Comment

Working...
              X