A '55 Chevy that Monk was looking at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A '55 Chevy that Monk was looking at

Well since Monk already got himself a '55, I thought it would be nice to share one that he was looking at. Also since he can't seem to see all the pics I posted I'll try breaking them up into smaller posts.

Here's the pic in the advertisement.

And here's what I had to say about it.

Just off the top of my head, title checked out, and the dash looked great under the cover he had. I guess it was a custom pad that he had made for another car, anyway everything there was ok. There are a few rust spots, no big holes but areas were there are some pin holes. one is in trunk area, other is behind drivers seat. These are maybe 4-5 inch round areas that probably need some attention, but really nothing that bad. Frame as you'll see in the pics look pretty good, looks like they rattle canned the underneath, but it is pretty clean looking. And yes there is surface rust on a lot of areas as you can see in the pics, the metal seems good, you'll just probably have to treat the rust with something and then paint it. It did run, started right up, so that is a plus, Rod said he'd be able to drive it up on a trailer, but did say the brakes need to be bled, which probably means something needs to be fixed. Rod also said he had about 95% of the trim, I did notice pieces laying around. As for the doors passenger side shuts nicely, but the drivers side will need some adjusting on the lock(latch) a little clunky when you shut it. There is a small ding(dent) in the passenger side rear quarter, Rod said one of his flunkies ran into it, I took a pic, it's really nothing to worry about, it'll easily come out. As for the body on the outside it is straight, pretty much ready for paint. Also door hinges squeak. All in all I guess for it's age it's still a pretty sound car, but don't get me wrong there is some work that needs to be done. Also note that the rear window isn't fully mounted in the rubber, Rod said they just kind of laid it in there, you might want to see if he'll install it all the way just to make sure everything going to fit. Anyway here's the pics there's about 100 so here we go.

This is the dash with his custom dash pad on it, he had all the trim in place when I got there, but he had to take it off to show me under the pad.

Here's the inside of the passenger door, you can see what I mean about surface rust

This is a shot of the rear behind the drivers seat

Here's a shot of the rear roof looking from the passenger side.

Shot of the roof over drivers seat. Not all of that is rust, some of it is insulation. Headliner padding.

Another shot of the dash

Here's a shot of the dash under the pad, seems in really nice shape.

Shot under dash

Re: A '55 Chevy that Monk was looking at

Here's the trunk the floor has surface rust and that kind of rustier looking spot on the drivers side is where I saw a couple of pin holes.

Another shot of trunk

Drivers door

Shot of passenger rear

Shot of rear deck lid, there is some rust or maybe stitching along the edge right there.

Another shot of rear

Rear roof looking from drivers side.

Front roof looking from drivers side.

This is looking under drivers side carpet, Rod told me it had been patched, looks ok on the top, have bottom pics coming up.

This is the floor behind the drivers seat, see the black dots that some rust right there, now that I see in the pic, you'll probably need to do some fix'n there.

Another shot.

Some of the dash trim

Comment

The engine, like I said she started right up. Sounded pretty good to.

Here's a bunch of shots of the engine compartment

Bushings look ok.

Shot down drivers side

Passenger side.

This is the dent I was talking about.

Rear of car

Front suspension and shots under car.

This is looking up into the drivers wheel well.

Passenger front wheel well.

This is the underside of the drivers floor board. Where the fix was.

More under car pics.

Drivers side.

Roof

This is the I guess spare tire holder in the trunk, seems little rough.

More trim

Under Passenger front carpet.

Under rear carpet on passenger side.

Comment

Shot of the grill and front end.

Shot down the passenger side.

Underside of hood.

Shot of behind rear bumper.

Under rear of car.

This is what I was talking about rust in the corner under the rear deck lid.

Under side of trunk lid.

Body tag.

VIN, which did match the title. Saw with my own eyes. ;)

Ok, that's it, plus my click finger now has a blister on it. ;) ;D Hope this was enough, if you have any questions just ask. Also I'm going to copy and paste this and save it, so if you want me to throw up a post to get others peoples opinions I can do that for you.

Comment

In the end I feel Monk got a better deal with the car that he got.

Also if anyone needs a car checked out, don't be shy in asking, I'm happy to help out.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, what were they asking for that car?
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

LOL@ what you call rust. Come to nj and i'll show you what rust really looks like.

Not a slam on you, just sayin that car is darn rust free, where i come from.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, what were they asking for that car?
                If I remember right it was $9500.

And I know what you mean about rust, but I'm used to seeing cars with a lot less of it. ;)

Granted the outside of the car was straight and it looked pretty sound, but there's still quite a bit of work to be done. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by 58yeoman
                  LOL@ what you call rust. Come to nj and i'll show you what rust really looks like.

Not a slam on you, just sayin that car is darn rust free, where i come from.
                  I hear ya! When I moved out to NM from IL, what these guys were using as parts cars were better then the stuff I started with, and sometimes ended with, back home. LOL

Nik

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro

Also if anyone needs a car checked out, don't be shy in asking, I'm happy to help out.
                    I might take you up on that.
                    Check your PMs

Comment

a very thorough report mr teecee
                      keep the motor -trans -wheels -rear axle- steering column -dash -seats -glass -trim- frame -battery - rats nest wiring harness
                      then !!!how much ?
                      needs some metal , but nice for a 52 year old car

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                        a very thorough report mr teecee
                        keep the motor -trans -wheels -rear axle- steering column -dash -seats -glass -trim- frame -battery - rats nest wiring harness
                        then !!!how much ?
                        needs some metal , but nice for a 52 year old car
                        Ya I'm sure it's not the worst car out there.

It really depends on how much work you want to do. The major plus on this car was how straight the body was, except for the dent on the passenger side rear quarter it was straight as an arrow.

Comment

The car is excellent shape. Very little rust repair. I guess it was pretty loud with those chambered tube pipes.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Where are the front shocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                              The car is excellent shape. Very little rust repair. I guess it was pretty loud with those chambered tube pipes.
                              At least it ran. ;) And yes it sounded pretty good.

Where are the front shocks?
                              I guess not installed yet. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X