Hagarty insurance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagarty insurance...

I finally got the new block machined, got the rings, bearings, gaskets, etc... so I'm getting close to putting the pump gas motor in the Chevelle! Yay! I can't wait to cruise it again.

Earlier this year, I canceled the insurance and the tag expired. (They wouldn't renew the tag without insurance)
    I want to have insurance on it before I move it out of the garage, for obvious reasons.

Allstate coverage is a joke, only paying blue book if something happens to it, so I went on Hagarty's website to get an insurance quote. With a stated value of 15K, they quoted me $335/yr. I'm ok with that price.

My question to any of you who have Hagarty: Have you ever had to make a claim? How would you rate the service when you made the claim? Did they pay out without splitting hairs, or did they try to squeek out of it? ... because the price of insurance means nothing if the service or coverage sucks.

Re: Hagarty insurance...

I'll be curious to hear the feedback on this. I'm thinking of moving the insurance on the 'Stang given that it's rarely driven and Kemper is charging me full tilt for essentially storage. In MI I had AAA and I could store it with comp and call them if I wanted to drive it and they would expand the coverage. They don't do that in NC. So I'll be watching your responses.

Dan

Comment

I was speaking to a man last night who uses Hagerty and said to this point his experience has been VERY positive. He had a nightmare with a "regular" insurance company, but claims that Hagerty has been very good to deal with in the few years he has had them.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Well I have Allstate and my insurance agent also deals out Hagerty. I have kept Allstate just simply because thats what I've always had. Several years ago when I upped the coverage on the chevelle and camaro, I came to an agreed value on each car with Allstate. Provided reciepts and photos of each car and it was a done deal......$330/year, full coverage. Camaro is good for $18,000+, and chevelle is $14,000 n change. Only claims that I've ever made is for new windshields though.

IDK.....maybe I'm leaving something on the table by staying with allstate?
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Fortunately I have never had to make a claim. However, when my wife was an agent and was selling Hagerty she was very impressed with their level of customer service. Her take on the Hagerty underwriters was that they are there to help, not see how they can deny the claim.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I have hagerty on 9 of my cars. their rates have always been the best i can find and so has their service on the policies. this year i told them i was looking at another company so they made a few adjustments to save me more money. I have never had a claim with them but they have an agreed amount of coverage, you state what you think the car is worth and if its outrageous they may want an appraisal but ive never had an issue. I've told them what i think the cars are worth and they have always accepted it, in fact on one occassion they thought the car was worth more than i had quoted.

and, if you put on any kind of car show or stuff like that, they will send you tons of stuff for the event! If i had a complaint about them, its only the fact that your payment is required in full for the year or you can make a payment but the full amount is due the next month. With today's economy, i think they should allow you to split your bill into 3 or 4 payments. JMO. Other than that, you wont be sorry with them.
            Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

I have Hagerty's ($10,000.00 agreed value = $125.00 per year or $140.00 with tow package) and so far no claims, or problems. I contacted them recently by e-mail about driving to K.C. for a show (180 miles one way) to see if there was any "hidden" mileage issues or whatever. Got a prompt reply basically saying we want you to use and enjoy your car/truck and no problem at all with road trips. A guy I know (who also had Hagerty insurance) from past car shows had his street rod 40' sedan delivery burn up from electrical problems. He strarted out thinking he was getting jerked around (estimates, photos, etc.) but when all was said and done they sent out an appraiser, paid him what he felt was fair, and refunded his premiums back to the day of the fire. End result he said he'd never go anywhere else. Good magazine comes out a couple times a year too. Might be a good potential sponsor for this site actually.
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Makes me think I should be giving them a call. But I think I put too many miles on my rides. This year has been bad for the Centurion, it's gotten only maybe 5,000 miles :'( T-bird's probably gotten the same though, but more road time locally because it needs a front end alignment.... Skylark is already knocking on at least 7,500. Not sure how many the Jeep has but it's got to be in the ball park of 7,000. Motorcycle has 2,500 local miles on it. I just can't leave town with out breaking 1,000 miles on the trip :P
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I had a similar question this spring, and it's nice to see it brought up again. Insurance is an important and boring part of the car hoby. :P
                  I went with Hagerty also.
                  My Javelin has agreed value of about $30,000, and it costs me about $300 a year. I sent them several pictures of the car both finished and un-finished.
                  I did use the raodside assistance once this summer, there was zero cost (as advertised) and the service was great.

Comment

I have Allstate and if you recall the "I just totaled my chevelle" thread I have had some experience with filing a claim. After the accident two differant appraisers came out and looked the car over and valued it at 24000 and gave me a buy back value of 6900. I thought the buy back was a little steep, but I paid it any way and got 17000 to fix it. Make sure you save all your receipts, that is what saved me. I had almost 30000 worth of receipts from the last seven years, I also had a appraisal for 22000 that was about 2 years old. They didn't give me any problems at all and it was just on a regular policy. I won't use Hagerty because I drive my car to much. I f you read their restrictions for milage, and you cant take it to the store, or work it is ridiculous. If it is nice out I am driving my car! I have over 5000 miles on it this year already since I finished putting it back together in spring.
                    I say go with Allstate. Just give them pictures of the car and an appraisal and save all your receipts. They took good care of me.

Comment

I too was concerned about the mileage aspect of it, and I may change my policy down the road but was very comfortable with this company based on what I am doing with the car this year.
                      The Language used in the policy literature is pretty vague and they don't actually keep track of your mileage:
                      Usage
                      Hagerty provides coverage for collector vehicles that are used on a limited basis ? e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving.

Comment

One of the guys over on grantorinosport.org had a garage fire...it burnt the car, and they took their sweet time getting out to the guy, but they made it right, car is being fixed up. The only screw up was he had not upped his insurance in 10 years, but they did not total his special order car.

But on the bright side now:

I have Haggerty on my GTS, and they have been fine, no complaints.
                        But, I have not had issues with a claim and as far as I am cncerned hope to heck I never need to.
                        Andrew
                        1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                        2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
                          The Language used in the policy literature is pretty vague and they don't actually keep track of your mileage:
                          Usage
                          Hagerty provides coverage for collector vehicles that are used on a limited basis ? e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving.

It won't be a daily driver, but a "limited pleasure driving" car. The website does state that you have to have another car, and that the one they are insuring can't be your DD. It also says that you have to keep your car in a locked garage... I got both of those covered.

Originally posted by mf68chevelle
                          ** stuff deleted to keep this post/ thread readable**
                          I say go with Allstate. Just give them pictures of the car and an appraisal and save all your receipts. They took good care of me.
                          Not sure if it's just my Allstate agent, or the state of FL, but when I asked my agent about changing my insurance up for some better coverage than the "blue book" crap, she started talking about farming it out. Hagarty is one of the companies they typically use for such cars as mine.

I just asked my buddy Dave about Hagarty. He said he got stated value at State Farm, and the rates were cheaper than Hagarty offered. Not sure if it's the same coverage... Hagarty's website makes it appear to be full coverage (including comprehensive) with zero deductables.

Comment

On another side note. My State Farm Agent told me I could get my car(s) appraised in Las Vegas by someone approved by State Farm to up the "agreed upon value". I've been holding off on doing that until I get the cars painted, then I'd do each one as they are painted. My Centurion might be a good canidate for Hagarty's when I build my Shop, T-bird maybe. Skylark no how, and I have the Jeep.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

You might be right, it could be differant between states. I didn't have any type of a agreed value, I believe it was called actual cash value or something. All I know is they treated me fairly. The thing that really gets me about hagerty, and all those type of companies, is the restrictions. If I drive my car to work or to the store and it gets stolen I am not covered, and that sucks!

Comment

Working...
                              X