Opinions On: 1981-1983 Imperial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions On: 1981-1983 Imperial

This is something I've kind of dreamt up...we talk about particular cars when they come up, why not have a weekly poll and discussion topic where we take a random model of car (the more non-mainstream, the better in my opinion) and see what can be done to it? Besides spurring creativity, this could inspire someone to, instead of plunking down ten grand on a mainstream musclecar, instead have them do something really creative with a different platform.

To start, lately I'm on a Mopar J-body kick right now. The J-body is a slightly lengthened version of the FMJ platform, meant to satisfy the model slot after the Dodge Magnum/Chrysler Cordoba B-body coupes were discontinued. It came in the form of three models: the second generation Cordoba, a near-copy Dodge Mirada, and the Imperial. This is not a Chrysler, but instead the last-ditch attempt at keeping Imperial as a brand. The cars have typical 80's angles, came with everything from slant-sixes to 360s (1981 only), and were even used in NASCAR, though they didn't enjoy much success.

My pick for this week is the Imperial. Arguably the best looking of the trio, the Imp does not have the two quarter-window setup the Cordoba/Mirada have, has one of the best Mopar front clips ever put into production, and is very well appointed inside. The downside is that it's plauged with the late-70's problems Chrysler Corporation had then...bad engine electronics, body workmanship, low power. Add to that, some genius had seen the design for the Caddilac Seville and decided that a hacked-off tail look would be popular.

I found this example on Moparts, it belongs to "Nascar_Imperial". I like how, in this angle, that one arguable bodyline disappears, making the rear flank look smooth. Overall, I like it. What would you do with it?

Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: Opinions On: 1981-1983 Imperial

Great idea about this thread,although i think the mainstream guys and gals will not respond.They are too busy checking how much their investment have come down in price the last months ;D.

I have liked those Imperials since i first saw a pic of them,but they are very scarce over here.I havent seen one live yet.The one you have pictured looks clean and cool.Guess they can be done in a lot of styles..cruiser-Lowrider-streetracer-sleeper-nascar style..

Comment

There is a light 'Powder' Blue one in our little Yuppie neighborhood. It's still owned by the origional owner(now in His late 50's...He's a Banker...).It seems to NEVER leave it's Garage. I've seen it up close and it still has it's origional 360 Engine,ect. It really IS A BEAUTIFUL LI'L Car. It also has some owner added ad on's like White Vinyl Mud Flaps,some Kerb Feelers,and other stuff. The Car has about 10,000 origional miles on it :o. Meanwhile,one of the Landlord's Worker's,a Man who goes by the name 'Pagan-Larry' has two of His own '81 Imperials. Both are complete. But one still has it's origional EFI 360 Engine(Many of these Cars suffered with problems with their F.I. set-ups early on,and MANY have had their Throttle Bodies/Manifolds replace with conventional 4-Barrels/Manifolds,so finding one with it's origional system is very rare today....). Both Cars are pretty much rust free/wreck free. Larry keeps them(along with a HOARD of spare Body Parts...)in one of His Garages on His Farm In New Jersey. Larry drives the White one(the other's a faded Metallic Brown...)to work once in a while,while the Brown(Fuel Injected..)Car has trouble running in Cold Weather,and is hardly used. Larry,like nearly all of the Landlord's Employies(SP?)has a HUGE collection of Cars & Parts. Larry's a "little bit of everything"-kind of guy. His everyday "Car" is a '59 Chevy Apache Step-side/Long Bed 235ci./3-Speed Truck. Larry also has about 4 Dodge Magnums/and 3 Chrysler Cordobas. In all,'ole Larry has about 100 various Cars/Trucks hidden away on His Farm ;D! ~J/W-OO6.

Comment

Larry has good taste in trucks!

I guess if you fix the imperial up somehow, it could turn into a neat car. They were dogs back when they were new.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm all for different, so these cars work for me. Nascar vibe with luxury seem appropriate. wiring might get crazy. They SHOULD be dirt cheap, so I'd buy a really clean one, cuz the Interior of 80's cars is hard to restore.Many mainstream followers will bad mouth it, but if the stance and wheel/tire combo is right, it would garner lots of attention. Most people will struggle to identify the car, but it won't matter when you unleash the 440 the car really wants!

Comment

I like them.I thought they were some cool car when you would see them around more. There was a Frank Sinatra
            edition of it as well . It had all of Franks songs included on cassetts with the car.

Comment

never saw one driving around - saw buddy arrington and cecil gordon 'racing' [if thats what you want to call racing -getting lapped by the third lap ] imperials
              sinatra used to be in the ads for them

Comment

I can dig it. I'm all for those big boxy cars. I'm a sucker for Mark V's too.

I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Comment

dare to be differant! :D
                    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I think that the NASCAR vibe works best for this car. I never liked these cars new but the one pictured is on the right track. i would remove the chrome trim, black it out...maybe add a deck lid spoiler
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I would have one if I could find the 'right' one......you know,with a /6 ;). It's the ONLLLLLLLLLLLY way to fly ;D! ~J/W-OO6.

Comment

I love this body style. If I remember correctly, so does Steve Dulcich. One of these would be great for his 318 performance rebuild. Hell just getting rid of the lean burn system (carb and distributor) would help wake up an engine in one of these cars.

Comment

Here's one with the bid starting out at $500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...=p4506.c0.m245

Comment

Wow, Shannon, you're on it!

;D

You know, until I saw this thread, I wasn't even aware these cars even EXISTED.......kinda cool, but different....like a Lincoln Mark-series, with the weird hacked-off backside bodyline of the Caddy Biarritz(but with the trunk re-attatched in a haphhazard fashion).

Someone needs to do one up, Silver State Challenge-style!

Comment

Working...
                              X