1985 Big Rig Race from Syracuse Mile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Big Rig Race from Syracuse Mile

Here's some shots from a bobtail truck race at The Mile in Syracuse NY. My Dad was asked by a buddy that
    did all the towing at the track if we could bring the BIG UNIT incase a racer "left the track". 1985 was the
    year, the 33 truck won, driven by a guy some mite have heard of, Barefoot Bob McCreadie, he had never
    driven one of these before, did a few warm up laps, had the crew change the set-up a little and went out
    and smoked everyone! Enjoy.

This was my Dad's 84 Diamond Reo with a 50 ton NRC wreaker unit, we drove it 90 miles north to the track and parked in the pits just incase one of the race trucks "left" the track that day.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Re: 1985 Big Rig Race from Syracuse Mile

I remember back when they tried to make truck racing the next big thing. It was even on tv for alittle while.

Comment

All the blood just rushed away from my head and I passed out.

Dude....wow.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Thanks for sharing them. I've been trying to find some of those pics. We used to go watch them at Pocono every year.

Comment

Bruab, knew you'd likie!!! What about that black Big Horn! ;D I wish I had a sound track to go with it, OMG!!!!!!! The 2 strokers ruled the day,,good buddy!

Comment

*friendly bit of advice*....ixnay on the "good buddy" stuff , especially on the CB and at the truckstops...unless you like being chased with a tire iron(it doesn't mean the same thing it once did).

These old racers were COOL...best use for an old 2-stroker Detroit.

I recognize a few of the old sponsors that are still in business today...Hartley's is still going strong.

Used to pull a Landoll trailer like the one owned by Biggs in the photo....

Comment

I thought you'd like, T-Smoke........Dude, I haven't used a CB for 20 years,,,,but thanks for the heads up. That makes two things 2 strokers are good for, this, and making noise.

Comment

Why in the name of all that is holy is this not more popular that NASCAR...Gawd that would be awesome to see
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Remember in the beginning of the S&B movies they had truck racing

I would love to watch that rather than NASCAR
                  Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Have someone searched youtube for this stuff??

Comment

mid 80s and fast trucks...

I instantly assume mack superliner v8.

today, I would rather a 3408 cat.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I like the Mack V8's and the 3408's(knew a guy that had one in an early-mid 90's Elite that could boil the hides with 38K in the trailer), but for instant revving, nothin's touching an 8V92....gets interesting when they run in "reverse".

Let the hood fall shut and run like hell...'cuz short of trying to shove it in high gear and hoping it stalls out with the brakes set, there's no stopping it short of runing out of oil, seizing or kersploding it......LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                          Why in the name of all that is holy is this not more popular that NASCAR...Gawd that would be awesome to see
                          The series didn't last long as the trucks were hard on the tracks, especially the paved ones. it put some deep ruts in the track at Dover, and a couple of them punched through the old boiler plate wall at Pocono.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!

Let the hood fall shut and run like hell...'cuz short of trying to shove it in high gear and hoping it stalls out with the brakes set, there's no stopping it short of runing out of oil, seizing or kersploding it......LMAO
                            I saw a 6-71 "vent" once when I was a kid, it sneezed on shut down, shuttered, rewound the wrong way, smoke came out the air cleaner, and she screamed till rods landed on the dirt in the parking lot. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!

Most of these trucks had 8V92 D-Deck motors, a couple with compound turbos. The red 00 White had a Big Cam 400 Cummins that turned 3000 rpm, I didn't know then why my Dad found that interesting, I do now!!!

The Mack had a 300Plus Maxi-dyne 6cyl with a LOT of boost (and black smoke).

Most all the trucks had the front axle ends cut and welded to plates on each side that bolted together, with wedges in the middle for camber. Looked scary.

Comment

when i was a kid must have been around 13 my dad took me to razorback speedway
                              (I think was its name) in rogers/faetteville arkansas diesil trucks racing on a qtr mile
                              dirt track, it was neat !!:D they also jumped one over 5 or six cars :D :D :D
                              COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
                              X