Is the doctor in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the doctor in?

Lately I have been overcome with the desire to go nose high and put a straight-axle under a mid-eightys 2 door caprice.

Am I sick..........or just gearhead normal?

Re: Is the doctor in?

GEARHEAD EVERYTHING LOOKS COOL AXLED AN HIGH GASSER STYLE

MY BROTHER AND I DID A 68 CHEVELLE SS IN THE MID 90'S NOT A TON LIKED IT BUT NOW EVERYONE WOULD THINK HAY THATS COOL LOL GUESS I LIKE DOING THINGS OTHERS DON'T DIG AT THE TIME
    GO FOR IT

Comment

Doc here,
      I like your creative ideas.
      No need to take a sedative.
      The stance you are considering has been done both by raising the front as you have suggested and by lowering the rear to bumper dragging al la Jesse James.
      Get to surgery STAT!

Comment

Sounds like Normal to me.

Comment

Does your left eye tweek any? :

Comment

don't do it . they do however look good with big and littles or fat all the way around . fender wells are huge!

Comment

I mean thios with no offense, and please don't crucify me for this, but I just don't get it! I don't like the look and really can't understand why anyone would want it? Could someone explain how it helps?

Mike

Comment

Straight axles are cool under the cars that where period for them, under anything else you just got to figure you where dropped one to many times as a kid.
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by 55falfa
                  Lately I have been overcome with the desire to go nose high and put a straight-axle under a mid-eightys 2 door caprice.

Am I sick..........or just gearhead normal?
                  It depends. Are you going to try to do a "What if they built Gassers in the '80s?" look? Or is it one of those weird lifted cars where they put 26" rims with low profile tires on them like they can't decide if they want to go rock crawling or road racing? I don't quite get that - although I would love to see somebody try and post an intelligent defense of why to do such a thing.

An '80s gasser might be interesting. But the donks, to me, look as if somebody had kind of picked up that large rims with low profile tires were the look of fast cars, then caricatured it to the point where all the advantages that gave a car were lost from the weight and lift. (If you pulled that off with the car at a lower than stock ride height by flaring, tubbing, and radiusing the fenders, that would be pretty cool, though.)

If you want to build a donk, I'd recommend one of two things. One, build it, take it rock crawling and hit jeep trails, and post pictures of it getting mudded up on this forum. Or two, lie down in a darkened room, put some appropriate relaxing gearhead music on the stereo (depending on your age, that might be Beach Boys, "I Can't Drive 55," or Rob Zombie's "Dragula" ), close your eyes, and chant "Form follows function" repeatedly.

Comment

You can experiment with leaf sprung straigh axle on my 66 Fury...... if it looks cool you can move onto the Caprice..... ;)

Wouldnt want you to cut up a 2 door caprice without some practice under your belt....

I

Comment

Sorry it has taken so long to respond........

Looks like some of you are for it, which is good.

It also looks like some of you are against it, which is also good. I definitely do not want everyone to like it.

My next question is? From some of the reactions I received, have we gotten to the point were cutting up a 77-? 2 door Caprice is taboo? This is what I do not understand.

The reason I want to do this is because, I think it would look bad ass.

Donk? Hell no...................

Comment

Taboo....No, I dont think so, I mean these cars certainly have a following but will they ever generate the kind of excitment that a COPO/HEMI or any other "muscle car" does. thats just IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by 55falfa
                          Sorry it has taken so long to respond........

Looks like some of you are for it, which is good.

It also looks like some of you are against it, which is also good. I definitely do not want everyone to like it.

My next question is? From some of the reactions I received, have we gotten to the point were cutting up a 77-? 2 door Caprice is taboo? This is what I do not understand.

The reason I want to do this is because, I think it would look bad ass.

Donk? Hell no...................
                          Is it gonna be noisy, obnoxious, dangerous to drive in traffic, of significant interest to the local black-n-whites? Will it drain your bank account and tick your wife/girlfriend/significant-other off all the time ? Will it raise your heart rate and keep your eyes wide open when you nail it ? Is it something that most people would be afraid to drive ?

If you've answered 'yes' to the majority of these questions then you're on the right track. Forget period correct, forget politically correct, forget what most folks like or don't. If it makes your heart beat and your hair stand up, then it's a cool thing.

my 2 cents...

Its funny, a lot of folks react negatively to my prostreet ride and I hear comments like "That is so old, prostreet is just not cool anymore, it's a waste of time, hardware, etc., etc....". I would bet that most of the folks making these sorts of comments have never nailed the thottle on something like this and experienced the result. Its great to have opinions, but it's better to have experience ;D

my other 2 cents...

Comment

Radiused rear wheelwells?

Moon-tank in grill?

Front bumperless?

(Roth-style graphics/Roth-style script?)

Along with a straight-axle comes a few other items, eh? ---

RE: "The Donk Profile"

If you only do a straight-axle, it will appear someone did not
                            borrow from their grandmother's SocSec checks to buy hydraulics.
                            (In other words, it will appear to be a budget "Cheechmobile".)
                            But, they could say, "Yo, my hydraulics busted on full-up, ese!"

That's not what you're after, we're sure. ;)

Comment

Hey if its what you want build it,,,,, I would not even ask if it was me to get other opinions about what I like in the look of a car. If its my car, I have to pay for it, and look at it, if it apeals to me, thats what counts.

If I build one for someone, I might turn the deal down, if I dont like it or them, but the finished car is up to the guy who owns it not the rest of us.
                              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                              X