Hey BlackOutSteve!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey BlackOutSteve!

I will said it too. Wow. That is a lot of great work. You Aussies went through a lot in order to drive American muscle on your highways, not to mention the insane costs.

If memory serves, for the longest time you couldn't drive left hand drive cars in Australia, then the gov't relented and allowed the cars if they were originally built like that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I always wanted to do this to my 65 Impala. I think it be cheaper to import a Aussie built one then go through what you did.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

You could always drive LHD here, but never full registration. Only club reg, which meant you could only drive the car to shows or a mechanic.

Now, yes, the law has changed for any 30 year old (or more) LHD car to have full reg.
      Mine was converted before the law came in, and it would have been much easier converting back to LHD too.
      I decided to keep it RHD (it's a plain Jane - no numbers or options car, otherwise...) because RHD is better and safer from the driver's point if view.

Comment

Dude,

Is this what you have in the Camaro ??

Comment

Sure sounds like it :o
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

That's with the new roller cam. It's 454.
            Vids were with a mechanical flat tappet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
              I always wanted to do this to my 65 Impala. I think it be cheaper to import a Aussie built one then go through what you did.
              I've got to ask, why would you want to convert a LHD car to RHD if you don't need to?
              It's a real pain to drive a car on the road from the wrong side, particularly when it comes to overtaking.
              Is it just to be different?
              Aussie ones have a fibreglass dash, I'd much rather your steel dash.
              I have the parts to convert one to RHD, just in case my scratch for a coupe or Biscayne gets to much.

This is what it would look like, a picture from inside my hardtop.

Tim
              Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

I've thought about a RHD car myself, especially after seeing a co-worker's '75 Fairmont (Falcon-ish coupe) and a Moparts member's VH Charger. I actually think it might be helpful to learn all aspects of driving a car from the opposite side, figure out handling differences, etc. Yeah, to be different, too. ;D
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER
                  I've got to ask, why would you want to convert a LHD car to RHD if you don't need to?
                  It's a real pain to drive a car on the road from the wrong side, particularly when it comes to overtaking.
                  Is it just to be different?
                  Aussie ones have a fibreglass dash, I'd much rather your steel dash.
                  I have the parts to convert one to RHD, just in case my scratch for a coupe or Biscayne gets to much.

This is what it would look like, a picture from inside my hardtop.

To be different because I am different. Makes it easier to talk to the girls in the car next to you as well. ;D Much easier to parallel park too. I can get out of the car without getting killed by passing driver. Passing on a two lane would suck.

BTW, why do you have two shifters?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Think of the massive blind spot you'll have when trying to overtake.
                    You'll be half way out into oncoming before you'll have a chance to see them.

Also, doing the conversion properly is not such a simple task.

Comment

Scott, are you being ornery ?
                      A conversion from column shift to floor shift, without removing the column parts (a pain in the arse !)

Comment

To be different because I am different. Makes it easier to talk to the girls in the car next to you as well. ;D Much easier to parallel park too. I can get out of the car without getting killed by passing driver. Passing on a two lane would suck.

[/quote]

That's an old photo! It only has one now, column shifter, the trans can do the work.
                        As far as I know all of the B bodies built in Australia had glides, mine now has a TH400 for the extra gear.
                        The shift mechanism for the glide is a series of levers and shafts that go from the right hand side of the car to the left side of the glide. The shaft to get from one side to other is mounted under the trans.
                        The B&M on the floor was there for a while until I engineered the column shifter to select the gear in the trans.
                        I've used a cable to get from the right to the left side of the TH400.
                        Tim
                        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

one of my jap buddies is infactuated with RSD cars...civics, integra's, supras... :

being left handed it would be awkward to shift, but i'd probably be able to pay more attention to the tranny...looks like something fun to try someday. we're putting the karts shifter on the left side. hurst 4 speed shifter, but it'll shift like a motorcycle...pull-back to downshift.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                            Scott, are you being ornery ?
                            A conversion from column shift to floor shift, without removing the column parts (a pain in the arse !)
                            I did it several times. I just knocked out the pin holding the original shifter lever in the column.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I did it several times. I just knocked out the pin holding the original shifter lever in the column.
                              That's what I did to my Skylark.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X