Hey Eric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Eric

Tell me how the 10.0 pass was. I'm guessing that E85 and nitrous work pretty well together?

How did your converter like the spray?

Re: Hey Eric

Hey Brian, good to see you over here!

Here are a couple vids of passes I made. First is on motor, second is on spray. Sorry about the crappy video quality -- I cut the bandwidth to make it more net friendly.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

My new Coan 8" converter is perfect (flashes 4950) on motor, a little loose (but OK) on spray. It has gone 1.420 in the sixty on motor (I think this video is a 1.43 sixty) and has gone 1.39 on spray (the video is a 1.40 sixty).

Overall, the motor seems to like the spray a lot although the car is really set up for motor. As a result it doesn't pick quite as much ET on the gas as one might expect. I am using a digital timer to delay the N2O hit -- see if you can pick up where in the video the hose turns on. LOL

If you had the full bandwidth version of this video you could see a CLASSIC example of bumpsteer in the motor pass when the front end comes back down.

So how is the Goat doing? Any new best ETs?

PS. by the way, E85 and N2O work well together. Although the vids above are on gasoline I ran E85 and N2O all summer. they key is flowing your system and using the right ratio of E85 to N2O by weight.

Comment

Hey Eric are you using a N2O piston or a shelf one? My ross ones say no more than 250, but everyone tells me the ring pack is alll wrong not to spray that
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Jeff, I am just using a shelf SRP flat top and good moly rings. Nothing special, even the ring gap.

I'm only spraying 150 HP and have no ambitions of going any faster than 10.0's in this car so am not worried about it.

Now if I were going to spray 250 HP that would be a whole different animal. :o

Comment

Thanks for the info Eric. The car looks real good!
          You should at least go for the 9.90 pass just to say you have done it.

The controller is the hot ticket allright. I learned that on the first DW.
          We only have one nitrous attempt since the new top end combo. The controller was set at a 10% start and a 2.5 second delay bacause the track was so greasy.
          The 60' was no different than the previous 10.90 motor pass and the car went 10.34 @ 129 on a 175 shot (less 10 degrees of timing) and 91 octane pump gas.
          I'm pretty anxious to head to Sacramento and try it again next month.

Keep us posted on your ETs!

Comment

Sac Raceway is a great little track. Have a fun time. Just pay attention on the narrow elevated return road or you'll end up in the mud and weeds. Watched a couple guys do that.

Post some pics and times when you get back.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Eric, I am going to convert my spare over to a spray one just to try but plan more than 250 : Glad to hear from you.
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Thanks Brian -- I think with the controller you'll get it hooking real good. By the way, have you ever flowed your N2O system?

PS. Thanks for the kind words at the HRM site Jeff. Glad to see you did so well at DW 07. The locals here were all rooting for Tim with the Mustang -- I know him as well, he's a regular at US131 test and tune.

Comment

Well, I have set the flowing fuel pressure with full voltage to the solenoid and through the same size jet as in the plate. Other than that the system itself has never been flowed.

How did you "flow" yours?

Comment

I've got a friend with a set of refrigerant scales and a digital timer and he hooked me up.

Basically, we just set the timer to spray for 10 seconds and played with the jetting on the N2O side until I got 150 HP worth of N2O. The NOS tuneup was advertising 150 HP with a .063" jet and it only flowed 110 HP worth of N2O when we weighed the bottle before and after a 10 sec blast. Which is way cool by the way . . . spraying a full shot of N2O went 10 feet up in the air in my garage :D

On the fuel side we did the same thing, we just weighed a gas can before and after. Instead of spraying fuel through the plate we just ran the jet into a rubber hose and into a gas can. We used a Tee before the solenoid with an orifice to simulate the engine load since I run the carb and N2O off the same line. Incidentally we calculated that I was flowing enough fuel for 210 HP of N2O so it was PIG RICH.

In the end I went from picking up .4-.5 seconds and 6 mph with "a 150 shot" to .9 seconds ET and 10 MPH.

Hope that helps Brian. If you need any more detail on our tuneup just shoot me a PM or email.

PS. Happy birthday!

Comment

interesting way to fine tune a nitrous setup - wow

Do you run a wideband O2 sensor in the car Eric?

I never went into as much detail as you, but I spent a day on a dyno testing various nitrous kit recommendations, just using the wideband, and found the same thing. Anthing over 100 shot jetting recommendations were incredibly safe/rich.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

this really is an interesting way to do this. i am super impressed..

Comment

The Camaro we run at Bville has used just a bit of Nitrous...

In the early days I flowed all the shots... wieghted and scaled everything... like you guys... I'd turn the manifold upside down and let it rip..

Fun to watch the Fuel and Nitrous flow for a 225 shot for 60 seconds.... ( data logging all the pressures ) (Each was done seperately ..)

Wastes a Bunch of Nitrous.. and fuel but if you want a scientific qualification of what your tune up looks like it's the only way... There are just to many factors that change with a set up that it really takes this to know what is "truly" going on...

Since Freiburger and I have started this and he's been tuning we've not done a bit of this junk... and frankly we've been successful where I wasn't... gotta love it...

K

Comment

Yeah, you blow through a full bottle in no time flow testing !! After flowing my setup and seeing how far it was off I cannot imagine just plugging in the same jets "everyone" uses for a 150 shot (much less a bigger shot) and assuming all is well.

and you are right Kieth, smart friends are a big help. My friend Mike had done gasoline a few times before, together we figured out the E85 tune.

Comment

Eric, I think the difference is Bonneville. We're on the button about 110 seconds. Sorta fat but safe is way better than optimized with a lot of heat in the ring lands, especially when I've sprayed on top of some boost. If the EGT drops when I'm on the button, it's sort of all I need to know--but my nitrous setups so far have been about 11.5:1 on the O2 on the dyno in Bonneville configuration. I dial back the fuel pressure a bit to compensate for reduction in bottle pressure on a long pull. We run two 15 pounders starting at about 1,100 psi and ending at around 900. It's just a 175 shot with a Big Shot plate. We've figured that the best tactic is to manually tickle the button at first so it doesn't hit the tires hard (I have aerial video courtesy of Spectre that shows a nice 225-mph lane change when I hit the button hard at the bottom of third).

Comment

Working...
                              X