Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm heading out to look at a Gremlin in the A.M, anything to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm heading out to look at a Gremlin in the A.M, anything to look for?

So my desire, no, my NEED to own an AMC Gremlin has caused me to make an appointment in the morning to look at a '76 with the 258 and a three speed. Are there any special things I need to pay attention to when I'm looking at it? Any one???

Nik

Re: I'm heading out to look at a Gremlin in the A.M, anything to look for?

If you don't feed Gizmo after midnight, there won't be any Gremlins. :P

Comment

oil leaks can make the clutch chatter, make sure no milkshake in the oil, antifreeze good (not rusty water),
      decide how much you want to fix, and if theres too much wrong pass on it. ;) dont get caught up with what it
      COULD be, but look what it is now!!!!
      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I'd recommend looking for a different type of car. ;D

Just kidding!

The hunt is the best part.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

don't you have a perfectly good suburban to work on?
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            don't you have a perfectly good suburban to work on?
            I've got 5 or 6 perfectly good things to work on, but why do that when I can buy another project and spend my time thinking about what I'll do to it. LOL

Nik

Comment

yeah I have the disease too
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Don't we all.

I'd look at the seals around the glass, that can get expensive quick if there's problems.
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

If there's a licorice dispenser on the roof this car may have movie heritage and be worth more....
                  PARTY ON!!

Comment

gremmies do not have any front fenderwells...look for signs of rust or replacement...look at the quality of the glass on the car,the grille (good luck finding one)...rear (hatch) windowseal...around shackle area....the diff has a 2 pc axle...so not much you can do HP wise....

1 bbl or 2 bbl??? the choke is touchy on those...

cool...
                    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

i had a 76 Gremlin X with a 401 transplant,
                      that was the toughest car I have owned so far. ugly, but tough

the only thing wrong with it was that the original 258 had been driven so much that the cam wore down 'till it was round, then came the donor v-8 transplant.
                      The steering column had some issues, (the bearings crapped out in) and the driver side window was busted out when i slammed the door one morning, I never could find a replacement window around here, and they wanted wayyyy too much to make one to fit it, so the car was sold to someone else.

those were the only problems i found with mine, and it was VERY abused, so good luck with yours.
                      when in doubt,.. throttle out

Comment

I almost bought a Purple Gremlin X 401 with a Levi interior at the 1974 auto show in Dallas. Until the sales guy figured out I was 14. ;D Still want one.

Comment

that's right, i forgot all about the levi seats, i thought that was pretty cool at the time
                          I really liked getting that little thing all kinds of sideways and it left the prettiest twin blackmarks ever.
                          when in doubt,.. throttle out

Comment

Being in NM,I don't 'think' any major rust 'should' be a problem. But do remember that those 70's Plastic-n-Cloth Interiors are a bitch to find(origional...)Parts for. I'm sure your Eye's are trained to find any shoddy Body/Frame repairs(??)though Nik? Make me proud,buy AS MUCH AS YOU CAN(for as little as possible...) ;)! ~J/W.

Comment

I use to have a '72 X, 304 and 3 speed. Put a T10 in along with headers and dual exhaust. Fun car with those 3.54's out back. Sucked big time in snow. I'll have to scan some old pixs.

I hear the V8 cross member can be a bit pricey if that's your plan. AMC sixes are great motors, very durable. They have 1/2" main bearing cap bolts!
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X