Resurrection Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Resurrection Advice Needed

the last olds I worked on was a 307 in my folks '80 delta 88 - drove that thing in high school and college while the 70 mach1 / boss 302 project chugged along.

I pulled the distributor out of that thing and changed the pick up oil, changed the advance springs and vacuum advance canister - and that really woke that car up - I'm sure it was set up for emissions - but wow what a difference.

As I recall - the pump drive was the same as the chebby - slot like a screwdriver would fit in - but, you can always "rent" the tool from autozone and see if it fits - the pilot into the block maybe a different diameter - not sure --- but as I recall, all the HEI distributors you could swap from chevy to buick olds pontiac- so - it should work.....
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Re: Resurrection Advice Needed

Originally posted by DanStokes
      It was chiseled on a stone tablet, and I turned it into gravel years ago (tired of toting it around). I went to school a LLoooonng time ago.

Didn't your teachers ever give you that kind of writing assignment? The goal was to drive home the point that we all do complicated stuff in our daily lives, and we master it, so we can master other, new complex tasks in the future.

Dan
      Well, sure they did, but we didn't get to use stone tablets, things was scarce in the early '80s........ we had to write it by hand on paper. 8)

I second the Marvel Mystery oil wholeheartedly. I've revived lots of engines from long-term "storage" (abandonment is more like it) and have yet to lose a patient.

Just take your time and stop if something seems amiss. The '68 RS Camaro I found in a chicken coop in 2003 had been sitting since 1978. Engine would only roll about 20 degrees and no farther - but after getting it home and mystery oiling it, it would do maybe 25 degrees. After 2 months of moving it a little bit more every day with a crowbar on the flywheel teeth (it was almost stuck! took some leverage..) it would finally go all the way around smoothly. Mustered my courage and hit the starter, sprayed mystery oil on the garage walls but no nasty noises! Yippee!

I then cleaned the carb out (got lucky, just some white dust in there) hung my can from the hood straight to carb and gave it a try. Success!

Did some private celebrating after my wife told me to call her when the house didn't stink anymore. Clouds & clouds of burnt mystery oil & mouse poo/whiz in an attached garage are not recommended.

Also dumped some gas in the tank BUT hooked the output from the fuel pump to a large clear glass container. It actually started pumping and ran clear, the tank was bone dry to begin with though. I was afraid of major dirt/rust but no problem so far, I do run a good filter before the carb as insurance.

Car runs great. I've driven it off & on since then and other puffing a touch of white smoke from one side on cold startup, it runs great. Engines will take far more abuse than you'd think.

Good luck & be sure to tell us the story!

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
      X