Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are good car movies dead? Does anyone care anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are good car movies dead? Does anyone care anymore?

Originally posted by JustinSuhas
    Originally posted by Woodward_Dreams
    This rant went on longer than i anticipated.... sorry

Bill

Bill- i love the rant. Im glad to hear that there is some hope, all is not lost. I'm not going to lie, your generation is going to face some serious issues trying to keep the Hot Rod culture growing. Here is my suggestion for you, get into diesels and electric power (i think hydrogen is too far away). Learn that before the curve hits. While we might not be driving v8's in the future, i have no doubt that no matter what our personal transportation ends up as... some dude will find a way to make it faster. Then someone will best him and the legend will continue. Hopefully.

But before we go off and cry in our beers, (soda for bill) its not like this is going to happen tomorrow. There are still plenty of cool cars lying around for decent cash. Just check the Craigs List thread on this site. Some prime pickens.

I graduated High School (g.e.d... and proud) in 2000. in 1998 there was a guy in my neighborhood who's dads business boomed. He bought his son a 95 Supra n/a auto in blue (only 3 yrs old!). His son totaled the car one night while out with his minions. Less than a month later his dad replaced it with another supra. A turbo stick shift black one. (skeet!). Eventually he got bored with it and started trading around cars. He has gone though a Vette, BMW (2door sports), NSX, and two vipers, 1 old and 1 new (bill read:1 old and 1 older)... sheesh. My first car was a 2wd 87 nissan pickup. My current daily driver is even worse

Thanks for the thoughts dude....

BTW i like your jeep.... a lot

Comment

i forgot this one ;D

Originally posted by Dirt Rod
      I also LOVE car movies. I also agree that movies where cars play a huge role are not really made anymore.

Rant time
      I have lots of friends that are not into cars whatsoever. I got a few calls from said friends asking me if I had seen "Death Proof". I had not yet seen it. One of my good friends stated "dude, I think you have owned every car in that movie." I have.
      I saw the movie, I thought it was great......did I hate that all the cars where totally destroyed during filming? That part made me flinch. My wife looked at me with concern in the theatre as I flinched, jumped, crossed my arms and shook my head when each car got pounded on. She could tell I was vexed.

I have not seen Transformers......I know, I'm going to when I can, just really busy. It's funny.....the other night when I was sick, I watched that Disney pixar movie "Cars". Damnit if it wasn't good! I had no clue. I mean shit, I know it's a kid's movie, but The King Superbird? Hudson Hornet sliding sideways on the dirt? That was cool.

I feel the same way many of you do. A car's movements and sounds where like it's lines and feelings in a movie. My Dad (car guy, but not a gearhead) sat me down when I was growing up and made sure that I watched car movies. He told me how important they were.

Watching Christine, Hollywood Knights, Two lane, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, Used Cars......all those movies made a huge impression on me when I was single-digit ages.

Watching Mad Max and Road Warrior was like a religious experience for me.

I think now kid's can't afford to own old cars. I know that when I was in high school, Barrett Jackson wasn't making cars unattainable to the regular human. I think the crazy pricing of Muscle/Classics is causing kids to be in to imports.

Well that's all I have to rant about right now. Thoughts anyone?

~Dirt rod. I havent seen "Death Proof" yet either, but hopefully that will change by tonight. You should see it soon so i dont spoil the ending for you on here...

Cars is a damn good movie! i would definitly consider that a car movie. How odd cause its enirely CGI. I like CGI in proper settings but i hate when movies try to sneak something huge by audience. Like the flying mustang in the new 60sec. or even worse, that horrible F1 movie with Stallone. My ps1 had better graphics. Its insulting, how blind and stupid do they think we are?

i have to disagree somewhat on the cars being out of reach for kids today. Sure, a 17 yr old kid cant run out and buy a 69 camaro with money he saved but there are still plenty of good v8 rwd cars to be had. If anything, its a matter of space to work on stuff. Not many parents are willing to let their kid dissasemble a car in their garage. Also, kids are moving out pretty young nowadays. Usually to apts. without garages. (like me). Unfortunate circumstances.

I dont mind kids getting led towards imports really. Its natural progression, it cant (and shouldnt) be fought. I just hope imports improve... Keep the turbos and 4cyl's but for gods sake, get a rear axle already!

Comment

Originally posted by JustinSuhas
        Ronin was fantastic. Thanks for reminding me. I'm due to watch it again.

CGI in car movies is quite possibly the worst car movie violation ever. I'd rather see 3 chargers flip over than a CGI bmw flying through the air... jumping from one parking tower to another. cheesy + lame x unrealistic = me not feeling bad for illegally downloading it.
        Even when CGI doesn't look completely unbelievable, somehow it removes the sense of danger. Hard to put my finger on what's wrong, but compare the wrong way traffic scene in Ronin to the wrong way traffic scene in Matrix Reloaded. The scene in Ronin has a sense that something could go wrong at any moment that was strangely abscent from the Matrix scene. Maybe it was because with real drivers they subtly changed their driving in a way that reflected that they were genuinely worried about hitting the cars, while that danger wasn't real in the Matrix CGI chase scene.

Comment

Deathproof was good. I liked all the references to my favorites (TLB, Vanishing Point). I have got to mention one of my personal favorites. Gumball Rally!!! Raul Julia(or however you spell his name) the Cobra and the Daytona spider. Half of that movie soundtrack was Engine music. I get excited thinking about it.
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I just watched Death Proof again last night. I still cringe every time the Challenger and Charger hit each other. But it's a great gearhead movie.
            If anyone here has a netflix account, Death Proof is available to watch online.

Comment

Working...
            X