Dutch DMV-day for the '57 Chrysler.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch DMV-day for the '57 Chrysler.

Today I had to get up waaaaaay too early for my liking to drive my '57 Chrysler Windsor to the local DMV station for it's Dutch title application.
    It was a chilly and rainy morning and the car told me she didn't like it at all by holding back when pushing on the throttle.

Up untill today I had never been able to actually 'drive' the car around since it's not legal to drive on the streets yet. So, as I pulled out of the garage and headed on down the road I found the engine was low on power, like it wasn't getting enough gas.
    Eventhough I had to drive a short distance on a traffic packed highway, I was kinda glad I could easily keep up because everyone was moving slowly. I did manage to arrive at the DMV station just 5 minutes before my appointment.

Our Dutch DMV tests the car's technical items like steering and suspension for wear, rot and general, proper operation.
    With old cars we have less rules to worry about, so there's no exhaust-emission tests for instance.

On the pic below the car had just been driven up to the brake-dynometer. The rolls are powered by an electric motor, the brakes are applied and the machine measures the actuall brakingforce produced by the front and rear brakes in seperate runs.
    No more than 30% difference in the left and right wheel is allowed. The car passed with flying colors with hardly any difference at all.

Below the car's headlights are tested for correct light-image and alignment.
    It turned out I had made an error and put the pass.side headlight bulb in the housing the wrong way. 'Normally' the DMV fails the test and let you make another appointment on another day after you fixed the problem(s). But the guy doing the test was cool and told me I could fix the problem if I wanted to on the spot while he tested the car next in line. Luckily I brought a couple of tools and was able to correct the problem.

After the headlight-check the car went into the VIN-number-bay, where the VIN-number gets punched into the chassis.
    Right after that the car goes outside to be weighed. Then it's back to the office again and leave an arm or a leg before you can go home again.
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Re: Dutch DMV-day for the '57 Chrysler.

Interesting, I've never seen anything that remotely resembles a safety inspection for vehicle registration in Arizona.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Interesting post BBM - thank you. Did you stretch that '57? It sure looks "low-slung" to say the least, cool.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

No stretching involved. Just lowered it 3 inch.
        I did manage to lightly clip one of the air-powered lifts with the car's exhaust they have at the DMV in their pit. So I guess it's low enough ;D
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Being lowered sure makes it look longer - nice paint too.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

I'm confused about the VIN number stamping. Doesn't the car have one already? Or is the car considered a "custom" or "home-built" car and need a VIN because it doesn't have one? What year is it now, a 2009 Chrysler? Why would they have to give you another VIN?
            President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Very cool story and nice pics BBM, your '57 Chrysler rocks !!
              Mike, good question, I was also wondering about that.
              ;D

Comment

Thanks for the look into Dutch bureaucracy. That looks like a serious check with an eye toward meaningful safety - what a concept! Here in NC we do at least have an annual check of lights, brake lining/pad condition, wiggly bits in the steering, and a computer scan for newer vehicles. The Dakota just had his and all was well. In Michigan there was nothing - the cars on the road looked like it, too.

LOVE the Big Ol' MOPAR!

Dan

Comment

The VIN-number of the car stays the same. It's just re-stamped right into the chassis.
                  No special status for the car other then it's considered an oldtimer.

The rules are;
                  New cars need to get their first checkup (or APK (General Periodic Check) as we call it) when they are 3 years old. After that cars get checked yearly.
                  Cars that are 25 years and older are have a 2 yearly checkup. Cars build before 1960 are excempt and don't never need to be checked anymore.

Vintage cars imported into the Netherlands need to go once to the DMV (Dutch: RDW) and then can drive until their wheels fall off.
                  www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. In Poland you can get away without the normal yearly inspections if you go through a bureaucratic process (16 steps for importing such a car) of registering it as an antique with special yellow license plates. This entitles you to no inspections for the life of the vehicle if the car is over 25 years old. Of course, a rigorous inspection is required as part of the registration process.
                    President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Thanks for letting us BS'ers tag along for the ride. While the process seems a little more involved than my local inspections, it's quite awesome that you can successfully register an imported car with a seemingly straightforward process.

BTW, the car looks great! You must keep the DMV (err, RDW :P) guys on their toes when you roll in with your latest project ;D

Comment

So, inquiring minds want to know, how much is a dutch arm and leg worth these days? I know how much a friend in Norway spent on a Buick; so I'm curious as to which hurts worse...

Quite a nice car - had a friend who loves those cars, and bought a bunch when no one wanted them - then promptly lost them all (when no one wanted them) because of a divorce.... they got crushed.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You mean how much it cost to get a title-inspection, or the entire costs of the car uptill now?
                          I believe I had calculated all the costs of shipping and such in an earlier topic of this car. The topic is called something with 'Christmas present' or such.

The inspection itself cost me ?255,-. With todays currency-rates that's about $380.-
                          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Working...
                          X