New use for a die grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New use for a die grinder

this is kind of weird, but mildly entertaining. Die grinder as boat motor.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(yes, it's my video)
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Re: New use for a die grinder

I'm worried what you might be doing if you didn't have this hobby. :o
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Intriguing.....

Here in Kansas, if you operate a craft on the water and it utilizes human power (paddle boat, oars, etc.) you don't have to register it or pay personal property tax on it.

So.... If I was to use a foot pump to fill a pressure vessel (air tank) to send air to a screw prop, I wonder if it would be classified as a "human powered" craft....

Thanks for the idea!

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

sure....although it sounds like a rather inefficient way to run your boat.

The trick would be to have the air motor connected to your scuba tanks, so it looks like you're using your foot pump to move the boat, but you're not really
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Very cool but the link seems to be broken on YouTube's end. Working now, even cooler.
          Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            sure....although it sounds like a rather inefficient way to run your boat.

The trick would be to have the air motor connected to your scuba tanks, so it looks like you're using your foot pump to move the boat, but you're not really
            You wish you were in robot class again right ? You must be done with the juke box !
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

oh, I have about a dozen things going at all times....

My fabulous web page

Comment

Is your twin brother as nuts about cars as you are Jim ?
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Very interesting, but why is the prop set up for "pull" ?
                  Here is another vid Jim posted that I found ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"I made a prop adapter to put a 2" brass 3 blade prop (backwards) on a 1/4" collet die grinder...the air hose has a regulator that limits pressure to about 25 psi...it moves a lot of water around, and pulls on my hand a bit. Does not need much thrust to go 20 ft and hit a target, I hope ".

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                    Very interesting, but why is the prop set up for "pull" ?
                    Here is another vid Jim posted that I found ...

"I made a prop adapter to put a 2" brass 3 blade prop (backwards) on a 1/4" collet die grinder...the air hose has a regulator that limits pressure to about 25 psi...it moves a lot of water around, and pulls on my hand a bit. Does not need much thrust to go 20 ft and hit a target, I hope ".
                    I am gonna take a stab at this...

He made it a "puller" rather than a "pusher" for directional stability. If it had been a pusher, it would not have gone straight ahead, rather, it would have tried to turn in circles.

Ron
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
                      He made it a "puller" rather than a "pusher" for directional stability. If it had been a pusher, it would not have gone straight ahead, rather, it would have tried to turn in circles.
                      I'll buy into that.
                      A torpedo that travels to it's intended target and then drills a hole through the hull.
                      Mmmmmm ........ a chance for "The History Lesson of the Day" !!

Similar to the Turtle, the world's first submarine used in battle. The Turtle was invented in Connecticut in 1775 by David Bushnell and designed as a naval weapon, meant to drill into a ship's hull and plant a keg containing 130 pounds (59 kg) of gunpowder, which would be detonated by a time fuse. It was the first verified submarine capable of independent underwater operation and movement, and the first to use screws for propulsion. During the American Revolutionary War, Turtle (operated by Sgt. Ezra Lee, Continental Army) tried and failed to sink the British warship HMS Eagle, flagship of the blockaders in New York harbor on September 7, 1776.

Comment

actually I made it a puller because that's which direction the prop and die grinder work, I didn't want to go to the trouble to find a LH prop....although I could have taken one off of the ROV that's sitting upstairs.

My brother is not nearly as nuts about old cars as I am, although he does have a few.

My fabulous web page

Comment

WM I love the story behind that sub - it so freaked out the British that they did their best impression of Monte Python and ran away (maybe Monte Python copied them?)..... all because of a single person sub that almost killed its operator....

A clip from Monty Python's 'The Holy Grail'Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUV7kZQcBo&feature=watch_response
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Don't mean to be the killjoy but would it work as well with just air jet propulsion?

Comment

That's another one we're working on....and we're also working on electric. I just wanted to see how an air motor works for something like this. Apparently it could probably be made to work. There are 1/8" die grinders that might be more the right size/weight for what we're doing.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X