Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: How old were you when you assembled your first engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: How old were you when you assembled your first engine?

How old were you when you assembled your first go-fast engine?

Oops, maybe this belongs in General Discussion. Not sure how to move it. Oh well...

Younger than 16
    0%
    16-19
    0%
    20-25
    0%
    25-35
    0%
    35-50
    0%
    50+
    0%
    I have never assembled my own engine
    0%
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Re: How old were you when you assembled your first engine?

When I was 12 my buddy started racing flat track with his 250MX Yamaha. We took the motor apart and ported it and modded the pistons. That thing was fast.

In small engine class in 9th grade, a required class before auto shop, We got brand new 5hp briggs and stratton engines. We had to take them apart and reassemble them. Half the guys couldn't get theirs to start. I reground my cam. I ended up being the teachers helper 'cause it all seemed so obvious to me.

The same buddy that races his bike was a couple years older then me. He got a 65 mustang that we did a bunch af work to.
    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Re: How old were you when you assembled your first engine?

22, and three days later, BOOM!!
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Re: POLL: How old were you when you assembled your first engine?

I was 17 years old

Mike

Comment

15. The edelbrock power package had just come out.

Comment

I worked on a farm starting at age 10...my parents rented a house from this farmer and when my dad broke his back the farmer said we could get free rent if I worked for him...so I started weeding bean fields, shoveling hog manure, detasseling corn, and the likes...I was very very small compared to other kids my age so I started paying alot of attention to the things they worked on in their shop, working on tractors, trucks, and all sorts of machinery...I learned very quickly and by the time I was 15 I was doing about all of the shop work...I had assembled a few engines for them for the big grain trucks so when a buddy asked me to rebuild the engine in his Camaro I thought why not...it was a pretty straight forward rebuild with a few bolt on's and a hi-po camshaft...it ran pretty good so I got a rep around school and did several more engines for kids I knew over the years

Comment

I was 14, it was a 75 Olds 455 in a 98 4 door.

What a barge, but it would smoke the hell out of the tires.

Comment

16...a 427 bbc that ate 3 cams before I figured out it needed poly locks :-\

Comment

you need to be more specific..I mean it is a car forum and all and it should be obvious that your talking internal combustion BUT at 19 years old I had only pulled the heads off a small block Olds....BUT I had tore down and built up the Allison T56-A-15 jet engine.....And the hydraulic propeller to go with it...Let me tell you how much satisfaction there was in that!

Comment

Age 13, w/guidance of a 17 y.o pal.

Popped a HG on a '55 M-38A1 (no h2o)
                    & then fell victim to project expansion,
                    overhauling an engine that didn't need it. --

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                      I was 14, it was a 75 Olds 455 in a 98 4 door.

What a barge, but it would smoke the hell out of the tires.
                      My friend got a '76 Olds 98 455 2-dr for his first car, 22ft long :o power everything. We replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets on it three times before we decided the manifolds must be too warped for it to matter. Him and I were the first two to get our licenses and the only ones with cars for almost a year. It was a cruiser, even pulled what Rebeldryver's Caprice did with the half vynle top. We just sanded it down and black primered it. ;D
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

A 400ci pontiac that was in our GTO. I built it when i was 14. It lasted 5 years then I spun a bearing. My first real hi-po motor is in my Nova right now I built that from scratch. The only thing thats chevy in it is the block and the rear main cap.

Comment

18 - a 0.060 over 350 with 441 casting cylinder heads for a 69 camaro

Comment

Lots of parts swapping, shortblocks, cam, head stuff, and more, but didn't actually do a build until 38. It held together well for 4 yrs and was retired before totally being killed. A friend is getting ready to freshen it up now - maybe I'll find out some stuff I did wrong.
                            Tampa, FL

Comment

17 1968 300h 327 in a 68 impalla 2 door what a barge put a 280 duration general kenitics cam in it. dad could not under stand why it idled so rough. told him dont worry about it it was half the money of oem stuff. wish i still had that car!

Comment

Working...
                              X