Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone subscribe to any of the Buckaroo Communications Magazines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone subscribe to any of the Buckaroo Communications Magazines?

Don't be expecting a next issue....
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Anyone subscribe to any of the Buckaroo Communications Magazines?

john d is a cool guy - sorry to hear that

Comment

Thought it was going down. The quality of the Mags started to drop, the advertorial content just kept increasing. When Super Rod first came out it made my jaw drop. Showing the work as it progressed in big picture format was fantastic. I subscribed Then they grew into a gazillion different magazines and the content went to hell. I didn't renew. They got dropped from the stores here a couple of months ago.

Bob

Comment

Heard at SEMA that they were done. There were some stories making the rounds for months about them struggling. I feel bad for the people who were making their living staffing those books.

Brian

Comment

For us uncultured heathens, what mags did they publish?
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Street Rod Builder
            Chevy Rumble
            4x4 Builder
            Super Rod
            etc.

Comment

Chevy Rumble had some good issues.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

It was a pretty good learning experience for me.

Lately there seems to be a lot of companies being run into the ground by idiots at the controls.

John was the bottle neck there--he had some fantastic editors working for him, but still insisted on writing every editorial himself, putting together each magazine himself, assigning each story, editing every story in every mag in the company, etc. etc. etc.
                It worked okay when he had Super Rod and Street Rod Builder, but then he decided to add a bunch of other magazines for reasons he only knows. He just grew it too big, too fast, and kept a micro-management over every little detail.

Had he kept the original vision of the magazines, they'd still be great. Huge tech articles showing everything, loooong features giving lots of details... Street Rod Builder should have remained an all-tech magazine, while American Rodder should have been no tech and all features.
                If nothing else, at least the emergence of Buckaroo was directly responsible for all the other magazines in the market going full color.

-Brad

Comment

If any of you are subscribers, I would call and get you money back. The owner owes back pay to countless employees, freelancers, huge debt to the printer, and he isn't doing anything to fix it. Infact, he went on a month long vacation to Europe in September.

Remember these are $40+ subscriptions. Your subscription money is legally yours. Ask for it back. Don't be fooled into extending the subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostshifter
                    If any of you are subscribers, I would call and get you money back. The owner owes back pay to countless employees, freelancers, huge debt to the printer, and he isn't doing anything to fix it. Infact, he went on a month long vacation to Europe in September.

Remember these are $40+ subscriptions. Your subscription money is legally yours. Ask for it back. Don't be fooled into extending the subscription.

Amen to that. I heard it was a month in beautiful Italy. I'm sure the guys and girls freelancing for a living and scraping by from check to check would have loved pennies on the dollar of what they are owed, but hey, I guess Rome is nice this time of year. Sleeze.

Brian

Comment

Sorry to hear it. I used to have a sub to both Chevy Rumble and Super Rod. Both excellent mags. Wishing a brighter future to Mr Dianna.
                      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                        Wishing a brighter future to Mr Dianna.
                        Lots of freelancers and employees are wishing someone taks him fishing with cement shoes.

Comment

wasn't there a rumour that RE Petersen was the original backer of buckaroo -post emap sale ?

Comment

John Dianna?

As in the same John Dianna that worked for Petersen Publishing at one time?

What a shame, never figured someone like him would do something like this....I read a few of those titles and enjoyed them, but didn't feel compelled to shell out forty bucks for a subscription. I do hope he attempts to do right by his(former?) employees...leaving someone in the lurch is never cool.

Doing so in this economic climate is akin to jumping into a shark tank wearing a bacon suit.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                              wasn't there a rumour that RE Petersen was the original backer of buckaroo -post emap sale ?
                              When Robert E. Petersen was still alive some claimed he was funding Buckaroo for whatever reason, JD had an editorial that denied it. It seemed to be there was ample advertising space in the books, not sure they needed the big rig and the new building and all that however.

Comment

Working...
                              X