Joe Alread passed away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Alread passed away!

I've been told that Joe Alread passed away last night, probably not a familiar name to most of you but he built engines for some Bad Ass West Coast Jr. Stock and Super Stock cars and drove his own feared 57 wagon back in the days. He then switched over to building Hemis for guys like Bill Bagshaw and Jim DeFrank's Cuda. I don't believe I ever met him but he had a reputation for being a great guy and was a real Guru when it came to building engines.

Re: Joe Alread passed away!

hell of an engine builder - rest in peace

Comment

Joe passed wednesday nite after a long hard bout with cancer. I met him a few times at my friend Rudys. He built the Hemi engines for all Rudys race cars as well as the Hemi in his perfect black 71 Challenger show car we took to Vegas for the Mopar deal last march. And, as noted above, The DeFrank cars always had his power in them. I had the honor of having dinner and conversation with him and the DeFrank Hemi team 2 nights in a row on that trip, he was a really nice guy. His health began a sharp decline shortly after that, and I did not have the opportunity to see him again. RIP JOE, enjoy Hemi heaven!
      67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
      05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Tough loss, a man who earned his status as a legend.

He and Dave Zeuschel are battling it out at heaven's version of the Engine Masters Challenge.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

sorry to hear this, prayers for the family
          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Joe "Allread" and what a great racer and engine builder over the years. Everything from 265 Chevies (Jr. Stockers) all the way to the mighty 426 Race Hemis for Super Stock, and everything in between, plus early Pro Stock action with Butch Leal's Duster.

RIP Mr. Joe Allread

Comment

I attended Joes memorial yesterday---wow-at least 125 people were there, just from the posting on the HAMB and classracer.com. I sat with my friends the DeFranks and Schings, got to meet Butch Leal, Bob Lambeck, a half dozen. other big names who have no clue who I was and don't remember meeting me, but it was an honor. Joe was highly respected throughout drag racing. MOst of you won't know he was quite involved with an alcohol funny car right up to the end, as well!! In addition, he was a father, grandfather and all around good guy who is greatly missed by family and friends.
              67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
              05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Working...
              X