Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Illinois Delicacy - They Say Us Southerners are Crazy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Illinois Delicacy - They Say Us Southerners are Crazy...

Just Visit US travels to Huntley, IL to feast on the local cuisine. People flock to this annual festival to have a ball.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: An Illinois Delicacy - They Say Us Southerners are Crazy...

Turkey testicles, lamb fries, rocky mountain oysters....they're all good eatin'!!!!
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Reminds me of the little town a few miles north of me.

Tiro, Ohio. Their little festival is quite the local event, attendence is huge. Very popular....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Yiiiikes ! I'm a breast man

Comment

You would have to be NUTS to eat these. Gives a new meaning to "Bite me". "One nut of two?" And on and on........

But folks from Illinois can't hold a candle to us Southerners - we even have a Yam Fest in a nearby town. Not to mention the Spot Festival in Hampstead - next little town north of us. Yankees only - for a free Caffeine Free Diet Coke - or a Cheerwine - what's a Spot? I guess every area has it's food strangeness.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
            You would have to be NUTS to eat these. Gives a new meaning to "Bite me". "One nut of two?" And on and on........

But folks from Illinois can't hold a candle to us Southerners - we even have a Yam Fest in a nearby town. Not to mention the Spot Festival in Hampstead - next little town north of us. Yankees only - for a free Caffeine Free Diet Coke - or a Cheerwine - what's a Spot? I guess every area has it's food strangeness.

Dan
            In Kershaw, SC, they have the Watermelon Festival. A real big deal. Everybody turns out, and the climax of the event is the lawn mower race. Riding mowers, completely stock. So slow, but they all take it seriously. A lot of fun, I guess.

And from married-into-the-family connections, we've been to the Farmers' Festival in Dillsburg, PA. Dillsburg PA is the birthplace of the Dill Pickle, supposedly. Folks turn out with pickle launchig machines. Home-built- catapault things. The object is to launch a dill pickle out across the field and hit the bushel basket about 50 yards away. The most important thing, however, is the skit the picke launching team has to put on before they launch the pickle. They all dress up in costumes and do a skit before they launch the pickle and miss the bucket. And it is judged like the Olympics. 5-2-3-1-1. The skit is the thing.

No, Down South, it'm more like, "Boy, you look good in them jeans, and you've got a mighty cute mouth...."

Comment

The prize is still available - What's a "Spot"?

Comment

The prize is still available - What's a "Spot"?
                A "Spot" is a fish you catch off of the pier from the ocean in Surf City, NC. And you don't really want to keep it.

Did I win?

Comment

Depends on how "Yankee" you are. Actually, Spot are delicious prepared properly (we have a neighbor who is the BEST at this) but you have to watch out for the bones. They tell me that you only eat the ones caught in the late Summer or in the Fall - I don't know why. Spot Festival is in October right around the last Maxton meet.

Dan

Comment

RE festivals, they also have a Peach Festival in Gaffney, SC. Same thing as all of em, it's just a celebration about a fruit or vegetable harvest

Now, I know this is no place for politics, and I hate politics, so I'm not going there and I never will.
                    This post is not about that. There was a state Senator names Strom Thurmond in South Carolina. He was senior. He sat on prestigious panels and boards in the US Senate. He stayed in office for decades, lived literally over 100 years, died while still in office.

So he was divorced or widowed or something and met the Peach Festival Queen in Gaffney SC. They got married. She was 20-something - he was 80. No doubt, Bambie thought she'd just wear the old guy out in a month or two and get the fortune.

He kept her barefoot and pregnant for about 10 years. Thay had a BUNCH of kids. She looked like hell at the end of it. She finally gave up and divorced him, and he died at over a hundred years of age while still in office. At least SOMEBODY kept her pregnant.

True story.

Comment

Depends on how "Yankee" you are. Actually, Spot are delicious prepared properly (we have a neighbor who is the BEST at this) but you have to watch out for the bones. They tell me that you only eat the ones caught in the late Summer or in the Fall - I don't know why. Spot Festival is in October right around the last Maxton meet.

Dan
                      Dan, I obviously "won." What's the prize?

Comment

Dan
                        I hear you can cook a mullet, too. Do you know how to cook a mullet? You get a couple of two-by-fours and mash the mullet between the boards with lag bolts. You pack the sides of the boards with cow poop. Bake it at 350 degrees for about an hour at 350 degrees.

When it's done, throw most of it away and eat the two-by-fours.

Or at least they say. I've nevr tried it myself.

Comment

http://mulletfestival.com/ Held in Niceville, Fl. Pee, mullet is actually quite good if you bleed it out properly ;).
                          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin
                            http://mulletfestival.com/ Held in Niceville, Fl. Pee, mullet is actually quite good if you bleed it out properly ;).
                            I stand corrected. The Mullet joke is a long running thing in the South - I must be wrong.

I'm not real sure I want to eat one though. Literally, when I was in South Carolina all those years ago, we used mullet for catfish bait. But when you look at it, who wants to eat a catfish, either? But we did. And celebrated it.

Comment

Never, ever, in my lifetime or any of those who preceded or followed me will I EVER eat a carp. The guys from the soul food restaurant downtown (Don knows The Catch, right?) tell me it is delicious, but man... it is a rough fish. ACK! Pond scum suckin', shallow water dwellin', bottom feedin'.... ACK ACK ACK!!!!

Ron
                              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                              X