X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEOCACHING

Any of you guy do it??

If you have tell the story.

There are millions of geocaches worldwide, just waiting for you to find them. There are probably even some within walking distance of where you are right now. Visit Geocaching.com to see just how many geocaches are nearby and to learn how to start finding them.

Re: GEOCACHING

Very popular in these parts.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Never even heard of it, but apparently there are several caches nearby,
      so I am going to look into it.
      Thanks for the heads up !
      :D

Comment

Never heard of it either but I'm going to look into it. Several near here and one only .3 miles from me. Neighbor gave me one of his handheld GPS devices, now I gotta figure out how to use it.

Comment

I have to admit that looks like a bit of fun.... hmmm

No GPS .... hmmm maybe my Garmin... who knows...

K

Comment

There are a bunch really close to me......but I hate GPS.

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Don't have a need for GPS, I know where I'm going. ;D I'm pretty much oldschool, I still own maps and actually read them.

Comment

A friend of mine told me about it and I guess he does it on a regular basis. He told me he leaves cash. Seems to be fun if you got the time.

Comment

There was some of that geo-caching stuff at the end of my brothers drive way. At first I though they were just giving the kids a pee break, but after it happened time after time I though it was odd and eventually asked them what they were doing. after a few months my brother told them to go somewhere else, lol... myself, I just wanted to find whatever it wwas they had and move it down a back road to really give them a good hunt. 8)

Comment

It's a lot of fun, and good exercise too. Although, be sure your GPS is WAAS enabled - meaning it doesn't need a direct view of the satellite to mark its position. WAAS is ground stations that aid the GPS device to find its coordinates, increase sensitivity, and be far more accurate. It also allows the GPS to work under tree cover - which, most caches are hidden under.... otherwise you'll need at least 3 GPS units and attendant helper to triangulate where the cache is located.....

oh yeah, and don't hide a cache until after you're quite comfortable with how a GPS works.... :

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Is a GPS unit for a car, like a Garmin NuVi 255W good enough for this purpose ?

Comment

you need a device that can give you the coordinates of where you're at, and allows you to input precise map coordinates (not an mailing address) - so, the answer is maybe, it depends on your in-car device.

Comment

is there some kinda map that shows all the general locations?

Comment

I've been looking into it since I read this post. Joined the site in the link and looked up some local Cashes. You can find the coordinates on Google Maps which kinda takes some of the fun out of it for me. I have visitation with my daughter this week for Thanksgiving and am waiting for her to get here before I go on a treasure hunt. The GPS my neighbor gave me is a Garmin E-trex Vista. Is this sufficient for finding these things? Can someone let me know if I need to upgrade, I would appreciate it, as this would be something fun we could do together.

Comment

google geocaching to find caches - but even though Google tells you where the cache is; it's never that easy - people hide them under things, high in trees, or sometimes camouflaged in plain sight..... the other half of the adventure is getting to where it is. We went on one that it seemed so blasted easy. Drive to park, walk 200 feet, there is the cache.... right? WRONG..... it was hidden under a rock 300 feet below (parking lot was at the top of a cliff). It took 8 hours to find it and a hike of roughly 8 miles. And they'd painted the cache to look like the rocks.... very clever

Comment

Working...
                              X