Tire sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire sizes

Where's a good source for optional tire and wheel sizes?

The "books" say 195/70r14's for my '64 Cutlass. My local Costco says their policy is that I can't go up more than one size on tires or rims but I'm thinking there's lot's of room in them there tire wells.

I've checked the big tire web sites and they don't give a range that will fit, only what size they suggest.

Anybody got a source for this info, or some suggestions. I ordered some BFG Radial TA's in 205/70r14, but I can change it up until I get them mounted.

Suggestions? Opinions?? Incoherent rants???

Re: Tire sizes

this will make almost anything fit

<<<<<<<<<

you using stock wheels??

Comment

I was planning to. I kinda like the old hubcaps... assuming I can find someplace to refinish them.

They need the inserts painted, most of the black and red are wore off.

Comment

My Impala came with some kind bias ply version of a 175/75r14's. I think they were G78/14's on the original 14x5 rims. Now have 275/60-15 and 235/60 15's. Those will fit on your car with the right rim.

I believe Costco is telling you that in order to avoid lawsuits and warranty returns. If you want bigger tires for your rims, go someplace else.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I haven't used this, but it seems like a good idea.

Cognizant Dissident

Comment

That tool is a great idea. Anybody who has ever had to sell off a set of special order rims, that didn't fit, would agree that it is a bargain.

Comment

Go to this wb site http://www.OLDSmobility.com/fitting-wheels.htm DF did a great story on bigest meats for your olds.
              Moonshine the official Power Tour Drink.

Comment

Yes, always follow Costco rules, after all they are the ultimate hot rodding authority. :

Same deal applies to engines, two barrel carb and single exhaust must be retained. Always drive under the speed limit, remember it's a maximum. ;)

Maybe buy the tires and wheels at Costco and don't get them installed there? Tell them they are for an 07 Corvette or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                  I believe Costco is telling you that in order to avoid lawsuits and warranty returns. If you want bigger tires for your rims, go someplace else.
                  That is a fact.Sears has the same polocy...but that only applies if they are mounting them for you...you can buy and take them somewhere else and have them mounted....

Comment

Here is a Chevelle wheel and tire database that should help with your Olds:

http://www.chevelles.com/database/

In general you should get familiar with chevelles.com for tons of really good information, much of which will apply for you:

www.chevelles.com

I have been very happy with 235/60/15s on 15x7 wheels on my 67 Chevelle. My wheelwells might be bigger than yours though (not sure 64 to 67)

1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Damn, I hate screwing up.

Thought I did all the research on what tires to buy.

I knew I wanted some BFG Radial TA's because… well just because.

I wanted to keep the original 14" rims because I have a set of original Hubcaps that I like.

I first ordered 205/70r14's. Then I found out that they also came in 215's for a 14" rim. Wider is better, so I sent the 205's back and ordered 215's.

I was cleaning up my rims to get them ready for painting and noticed the width stamped on them. 5 inches. I went to the BFG web site and yep, 215's have a minimum width of 5.5 inches. BFG says they will not fit.

Now I have to go back and re-order the 205's and to top it off, the $60 coupon I had for ordering 4 tires has expired.

Lessons learned!!

Comment

I've always just walked into America's Tires and asked for the widest tire they can fit on that rim. Most the time they go out to the car and have me turn the steering wheel back and forth to make sure I have the fender clearence. I know both my '69 Firebird and my '77 Skylark have/had the 14" rims and the Firebird definately sported the 215/70 R14 BFG's. I don't remember the Skylark's brand tires but they are also 215/70 R14's.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Get some wider (and 15") steelies from Wheel Vintiques (or the junkyard) and put whatever rubber you want on there. Not sure if the Olds rims are the same as Chevy, but there are lots of wheels that the dog dishes will fit on. Just a thought...
                          1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

I would think that GM made a 5.5 or 6in wide 14" wheel that will fit your car, that way you could Keep the wider tires, and use your caps.
                            Reading , Pa
                            Good Guys rodders rep.
                            "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                            Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                            X