First time for NOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time for NOS

How old were you when you first used nitrous? What car? how big of a shot?

Re: First time for NOS

1984(17)

My brother's(at the time) 83 Mustang GT
    175 shot NOS plate

Comment

Never have. I would rather build a real motor that does not need a bottle.
      1964 Chevelle
      Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
      LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

I got a real motor that doesn't need NOS...but it likes it also...saying no to nitrous is like saying you have a six speed you never shift into high gear in...but to each his own...my first foray with spray was around 18...with a plate and 150 horses...had alot to learn about tuning back then

Comment

1993,i was 18 and had an 80 Cutlass with a 305.Put a power shot plate on it 125 hp.The car ran 16's on motor and 14.80's on spray.It was like adding a second motor when i hit that button.I never had another hot rod without since then,until i did my turbo v-6.I do have a kit for my v-6 just haven't had to install it yet ;D

Comment

NOS PowerShot around 1987...age 21

Comment

18 on a stock fox body. 150 shot.

19 we put a 150 shot on a low 11sec GN

05115 NOS dry kit was my favorite till I discovered NX wet kits, I have not shot a dry kit since.

Comment

1999 i was 16 and we put a 150 shot on my brothers 91 camaro. ;D

Comment

23. First time out, it picked up like 2/10th. Of course, we all knew it should pick up just a little more than that. Made about three passes til we figgered out that the accelerator pump arm was over-centering on the micro switch and actually turning the nitrous on for just a split second as the throttle was being opened, then clicking off again. Anyway, we had a good laugh, then made a real pass. It was a bracket race, and I broke out by a full second. When the guy that beat me caught up at the end of the track, he stared at me like there was something wrong with me. And there was.
                  Couple months later, we go down to Cecil. By this time, we have a Holley blue pump and regulator, along with a fuel cell for a Jr. Dragster for a stand-alone fuel system just for the plate. Made sure everything was in good shape, and headed for the lanes. First pass was an 11.69 @ 113. Previous best was something like a 12.80, so I'm stoked. Pull back in the pits, pop the lid on my Jr Dragster fuel cell, and *Crikey* its still full. Say it isn't so, I forgot to open the petcock on the bottom. I made a full pass with no enrichment fuel. So I'm a little worried. Pull all the plugs, and only one was melted off. We had a good laugh again. Carb musta been a little rich, ya think?
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dand38s
                    (Min Giggle's) :D

C,mon... ;D

...It's nothing different than running a blower, except it's not on all the time.

Comment

OK, now I have to give y'all the lecture. "NOS is a company - Nitrous Oxide Systems. They, along with a number of other companies, manufacture fine nitrous oxide dispensing systems. The product that their equipment dispenses is Nitrous Oxide, or N2O. It is often shortened to "nitrous". In my circle, anyone who calls "N2O" "NOS" has just identified himself as an absolute idiot.

Help me down off my soapbox.......
                      Dan

Comment

I know what it is....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dand38s
                          Actually you have to build a better motor to take the abuse of nitrous.

1985 150hp NOS system under a 6pak set up. I was 27 years old. 6pak 4 speed and a 4.30 gear. Man was I busy

Comment

Yup...a true motor built for spray has some pricey pieces

Comment

I think I win the award for youngest user of nitrous.

I was 8 or 9.

I used it on a Briggs & Stratton 5 hp motor attached to my go-cart. I had a "little" help from my uncle, who by the way told me I had nothing to worry about. It blew the head clean off the motor after about 5 minutes. What a great 5 minutes though. My brother and I also learned how to weld a strap to hold the head on later that day.

Good times.
                              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                              X