Terrible Drag Racing Wreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Terrible Drag Racing Wreck

I'm still kinda blown away about then vs. NOW. I could turn the ignition off if I got in trouble. That stopped everything.

Saw another thing on the news, maybe two years ago, where the steering wheel on an Indy car costs over $30,000, because that's where all the computer stuff iand telemetry is.

Okay, I'll sell the house. Now, I've got the money from that, so I can afford a steering wheel for the car. I've got that - I'm holding the steering wheel.....Looking for a way to pay for the car I need to build around it.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

My assumption was he was knocked out when he hit the first wall and his foot pressed down wherever it happened to be. Could be he thought it was the brake too, hard to say.

I own one of those toyota's (lexus is250) and I didn't know how to shut off the car while it was driving until I read the article... to be honest, I forgot already.

Comment

Bobbie,
        Since you are obviously brilliant and all knowing, did you ever think that as the original poster noted that the guy may have got his bell rung and not known what the hell was happening after the first hit? A friend of mine got hit in an accident this year and pinned the throttle in his Chevelle for about 2-3 seconds before he even realized it (did a donut in the intersection essentially after being hit from behind - has no idea what happened for those couple of second, but witnesses watched it)

How often do you see any racer kill the ignition before the first hit into the wall?

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3100
          Bobbie,
          Since you are obviously brilliant and all knowing, did you ever think that as the original poster noted that the guy may have got his bell rung and not known what the hell was happening after the first hit? A friend of mine got hit in an accident this year and pinned the throttle in his Chevelle for about 2-3 seconds before he even realized it (did a donut in the intersection essentially after being hit from behind - has no idea what happened for those couple of second, but witnesses watched it)

How often do you see any racer kill the ignition before the first hit into the wall?
          Thank you, but your buddy and his street Chevelle has nothing to do with this incident. Were you there at the track and interviewed the driver? Speculation, pure speculation.

"Might have done this, might have done that." Show the facts. ;)

Comment

exactly, show the facts, I don't know them, and you sure as hell don't know them. The poster of the video was at the track, maybe he has a better idea of what happened. You talk shit about the driver and have NO IDEA what really happened. It's possible that he could be an idiot, yes, but maybe he didn't do anything wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3100
              exactly, show the facts, I don't know them, and you sure as hell don't know them. The poster of the video was at the track, maybe he has a better idea of what happened. You talk shit about the driver and have NO IDEA what really happened. It's possible that he could be an idiot, yes, but maybe he didn't do anything wrong!
              What was the reason he smacked into the first wall?

Comment

As you brought up, I wasn't there, I didn't interview the driver so how the hell would I know? Here's the answer, the car turned left. Simple, the car turned left..... I don't know why (something break? Driver think he's on an oval? I don't know)

I'm just saying don't talk shit about the poor guy if you don't have a ####ing clue what really happened. It sucks, many drag racers eventually crash, and those who don't come close (and if not, you're probably not going fast anyhow)

Now if there were more instances of the guy crashing, then ya, maybe he should get out of the car, but neither you or I know if thats the case

So give the guy the benefit of doubt until proven otherwise. What would you think if there was a video of you crashing whatever hunk of junk you have into a wall and people just figured "he doesn't know what he's doing, I would have done this...) when in fact that may not be the case.

Ahh the internet, everyone knows everything about everything.......

Comment

Hey chevy3100...stop talking to him
                  Cognizant Dissident

Comment

No shit, I'd be better off arguing with a wall

Comment

Originally posted by 1320Video
                      Here's some video I shot at the '09 Street Machine Shootout down in the Ozarks this September. One of the cars lost control, and from what happened, I can only guess that the driver lost consciousness with his foot pressed down on the gas pedal because he hit the second wall at WOT.

I heard the driver is doing fine and he's working on a new project. Crazy video for sure!

I wasn't there, nor did I talk to the driver...so take this for what it's worth.

Watching the video, his car appeared to shoot out of the groove to the right... perhaps an over-correction is what put him into the left wall... who knows. I certainly don't. After that, all bets are off... as has been said, after the first hit, the driver himself may not even know what happened.

I've watched the Street Shootout in Orlando a time or two and those drivers are just a wee bit crazy. To win a round or to qualify, they stay in the gas LONG after most of us would have lifted to save the car.
                      I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'

Comment

actually, looks to me like some kind of fluid got under the left tire and it hookd HARD to the left.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

After seeing this and other accidents at drag tracks...i wonder if it shouldnt be allowed to have a suspension that works for this kind of starts.Yeah i know..dragracing is all about going fast and thats fine.But some cars hook,and go fast and still handle..

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                            After seeing this and other accidents at drag tracks...i wonder if it shouldnt be allowed to have a suspension that works for this kind of starts.Yeah i know..dragracing is all about going fast and thats fine.But some cars hook,and go fast and still handle..
                            Was watching the videos here of some of the really hot Mustang runs earlier today, and .... My childhood hot rod would pull the front wheels up for maybe a second. That 'Stang in the videos went a couple hundred yards down the track standing up. As old as I am, that's not the stuff I'm made of anymore - I don't think I wanna be pulling maybe 3 G's coming out of the hole and all I can see is sky. AND I can't steer. Now, THAT is faith in a positive traction rear end. I sure don't have that much faith in ANYTHING mechanical anymore.

It's supposed to be that your brain doesn't finish forming until the age of about 30. At that time, you can finally weigh the cost/value difference betweeen a risk and a thrill, for most folks at least. I'm way past that age.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                            X