Back in My Day......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Back in My Day......

...........if you where caught trespassing on old man Bud's property he would shoot your ass with a shotgun full of rock salt. And when you got home all your parents would say is "You knew better".

Comment

Hell, when I was a boy......

Not too many one here were "a boy" before me. Things were cool - if you were white (preferably of Anglo-Saxon origin), straight, spoke without an accent, middle class, and played by someone else's rules. It was super for me because I fit the mold pretty well. Talk about your all-American boy - I grew up at 525 Atlantic Street, Milford, Michigan. Sounds like a character from Dick and Jane, for Pete's sake. As I got older I realized that too many didn't fit that mold and too many never got a chance to get up to bat.

I don't mean to rain on your nostalgia parade. Things WERE pretty cool then for me and for lots of folks. I'm just saying that we have arrived where we are today for a number of reasons. Not all worked out as intended but more folks are included in this great experiment we call America. I sat in front of the TV crying on President Obama's election night. I remember when Mrs. Parks stayed seated on the bus and how few of our parents thought she was justified (my Mom was one of the few who supported Mrs. Parks in our circle of friends). This isn't meant to be political - just that the nation has come a long way in my lifetime.

Carry on and have fun
      Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
        Hell, when I was a boy......

Not too many one here were "a boy" before me. Things were cool - if you were white (preferably of Anglo-Saxon origin), straight, spoke without an accent, middle class, and played by someone else's rules. It was super for me because I fit the mold pretty well. Talk about your all-American boy - I grew up at 525 Atlantic Street, Milford, Michigan. Sounds like a character from Dick and Jane, for Pete's sake. As I got older I realized that too many didn't fit that mold and too many never got a chance to get up to bat.

I don't mean to rain on your nostalgia parade. Things WERE pretty cool then for me and for lots of folks. I'm just saying that we have arrived where we are today for a number of reasons. Not all worked out as intended but more folks are included in this great experiment we call America. I sat in front of the TV crying on President Obama's election night. I remember when Mrs. Parks stayed seated on the bus and how few of our parents thought she was justified (my Mom was one of the few who supported Mrs. Parks in our circle of friends). This isn't meant to be political - just that the nation has come a long way in my lifetime.

Carry on and have fun
        Dan
        Dan,maybe where you lived it was like that .I have always heard my Mom talk about those days ( It seems around the same era)
        not my dad because he was still in Italy and they were still reeling there from the destruction of World war II. Anyhow she always says she didnt see much of that type of bias here in NY,sure it was there but not as prevelant as other places. As far as accents
        her uncles ( I knew them too very well) all spoke broken English as well as my grandparents (Heavy accents)and they all did very well-all got there chance at being "up to bat" all owned 2 or more homes had many kids, nice cars.furniture,vacations and lived good long lives. I dont buy all that we are fed about "others". My family- most werent even born here but they worked hard and did well. On another point Ive heard many stories of even older relatives coming here and being abused shot at and so on they never cried to no body and fought back and got theres too.My point is no one had it easy here at first.

Comment

Originally posted by 67prostreet
          ...........if you where caught trespassing on old man Bud's property he would shoot your ass with a shotgun full of rock salt. And when you got home all your parents would say is "You knew better".
          Watching Kill Bill Vol 2? :P Man that's gotta sting.

Now Dan we are practically on the reverse side of that Hill. There are litterally dozens more opportunities for grants and scholarships to college for NOT being a white male. A Caucasian female has a few more options/opportunities than a Caucasian male, and any minorities status now days (in my experience of searching for financial aid) pretty much throws open the doors on available funds, lots you simply have to just fill out a form for. To top that off, though Caucasians were excluded from those opportunities, any minority (I say that loosely in So. Cal.) had the same shot at the opportunities for financial aid that I had available to me. But that's life, it's never going to be perfectly fair and I don't loose sleep over it, I worked for it and I'm doing quite well for it.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

[quote=TheSilverBuick ]

Never seen it.
            It's true. The guys name was Bud Bacacini.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
              Never seen it.
              It's true. The guys name was Bud Bacacini.
              Huh, how about that. In KB Vol2, Bud (Micheal Madsen) unloads a double shot of rock salt into the main character's chest (Uma Thurman).

Elle Driver: Did you kill her?
              Budd: Well, not yet I ain't. I shot her full of rock salt. She's so gentle right now, I could perform her coup-de-grace with a rock.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Bud Bacoccini. Had to look up the spelling.

Comment

Back in my day (mid 70"s) stickers were the only performance option. There was no such thing as "clone" "recreation" or "tribute" cars. Air shocks, traction bars, and Crager S/S mags ruled! You NEVER saw a car with "dog dish" hubcaps. People were living life ,not constantly looking at a freakin cell phone! You could be gone on a 15 mile bicycle "roadtrip" from sun up to sun down, and nobody would worry about you. The ecology flag was the only thing green flying, PC correctness wasn't even heard of. If you won, you won, if you lost you lost, there wasn't any of this everybody is a winner poop. I could go in an on.

Comment

Back in my day you had to use the Dewey Decimal system to find stuff out and playboy magazine ;D.No fancyschmancy internet to glom information from,and when you wanted to call your friend to pick you up you needed a quarter and we liked it just fine!

Comment

Working...
                    X