The return of AMC! ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The return of AMC! ???

I loved it. I thought the Gremlin and the AMX/4 concepts were stunning. I'd buy a poster and hang it in the garage. This Steve Stanford guy is incredibly talented, and I'd like to see more.

Comment

Well... they did have their moments, but NOTHING says FUGLY like International Harvester! LOL!!!....

We had a new mint-green and grey 2 door V8 '59 Travel-all panel truck with a Granny-geared 4 speed, single bench seat, aftermarket heater hanging from dash, and no radio. The seat fabric was battleship grey on mint green frame, and it had thin rubber mats in the front only. Fugly, but in a cool sort of way, like the Pacer.

Our neighbors, on the other hand, had a brand new four door 1960 Dodge Phoenix, in light baby-poop brown with green and brown upholstery that made me carsick without ever riding in it.

Comment

1960 was not Chrysler Corps. best year. As you may recall, that's the year they forgot to design tail lights for the Plymouth and they had to send someone down to the hardware for a bunch of Ray-O-Vac flashlights.

They can't all be winners
        Dan

Comment

Although this started out as a April Fool's joke, this is something that Chrysler needs to take a serious look at. They own the AMC nameplate...why not rejuvinate it? With the exception of the new Challenger and the Hemi, all of their current line-up is pretty bland. If they made cars that closely resembled the renditions in Hot Rod, I think it would give them that shot in the arm they need to raise salses. I know I'd seriously consider buying one. :D

Comment

It’s not enough to have just a stylish, economical, well priced car offered to the public even if you can finance it for 0%.

Consumers are slaves to marketing and brand image in my opinion is the most significant consideration when making a large purchase. i.e., how will this brand fit my lifestyle? What will my friends perceive me as when I am letting them know of my purchase?

If you ask a Lexus, BMW or Mercedes Driver what they have in their driveway chances are they will answer just that....."A Lexus, a BMW or a Benz." Very few will say "an IS 300, a 325i or a ML320."

The brand equity in those names summons "the average car buyer, NOT US RODDERS!" to aspire to own these brands.

Anyone ever heard of a marketing term called "death in the middle?" It means that on average commodities customers these days are either aspiring to buy premium brands for some goods and discount budget brands for others. Simply put we will sacrifice on some items to afford others. Less and less people are buying goods with a price point in the middle. In cars that means maybe a Lexus to drive for him and because she is just working 3 miles from home a Kia for her as a commuter.

A sad but true truth is that if all these AMC sketches were brought out as Lexus's, Acura's or Infinity's new 2009 lineup they would sell on the brand equity of those names alone. No Joe Blow will spend six figures on an Ambassador and have to explain to everyone in his office what it is 10 times, think Volkswagen Phaeton.

Comment

Originally posted by ImpalaKonrad
              It’s not enough to have just a stylish, economical, well priced car offered to the public even if you can finance it for 0%.

Consumers are slaves to marketing and brand image in my opinion is the most significant consideration when making a large purchase. i.e., how will this brand fit my lifestyle? What will my friends perceive me as when I am letting them know of my purchase?
              Then, maybe, just maybe, the GMs, Fords and Mopars of the world should look into some form of marketing. Remember the Rapid Transit campaign Mopar had? As far as I can tell GM (Save for Cadillac) or any of the other 'big 3' havn't marketed anything well since the sixties. Remember the Pontiac "Wide Track" campaign? What about Jim Wangers and his exploits with the GTO? Olds died and Buick isn't far behind as far as I can tell. Ford with their "Better Idea" , come on does that inspire you to go out and part with your hard earned cash?

If you ask a Lexus, BMW or Mercedes Driver what they have in their driveway chances are they will answer just that....."A Lexus, a BMW or a Benz." Very few will say "an IS 300, a 325i or a ML320."

The brand equity in those names summons "the average car buyer, NOT US RODDERS!" to aspire to own these brands.

Anyone ever heard of a marketing term called "death in the middle?" It means that on average commodities customers these days are either aspiring to buy premium brands for some goods and discount budget brands for others. Simply put we will sacrifice on some items to afford others. Less and less people are buying goods with a price point in the middle. In cars that means maybe a Lexus to drive for him and because she is just working 3 miles from home a Kia for her as a commuter.
              Sadly this just might be the case. I'd still like to buy a Buick that had power and style like they used to in the fifties and sixties but now they have neither extra power or a style that differentiates them from the other brands. I believe this is also what hurts Mercury. I can say I'll probably never be in the market for a Lexus, BMW or a Benz but I guess some might aspire to. Then again I'll never own a Toyota, Nissan(Datsun), VW, Kia, Honda, etc... I'm kind of a GM diehard, they just aren't producing what I want to buy. How 'bout a sporty personal luxury coupe? Is anybody at GM listening?

A sad but true truth is that if all these AMC sketches were brought out as Lexus's, Acura's or Infinity's new 2009 lineup they would sell on the brand equity of those names alone. No Joe Blow will spend six figures on an Ambassador and have to explain to everyone in his office what it is 10 times, think Volkswagen Phaeton.
              I do have to say that I don't know any "joe blows" that spend six figures on anything short of a house. I'd love to see any of those sketches produced by Chrysler or what ever they are calling themselves. They might even get me into a showroom.
              Rich

sigpic

Comment

I liked it. Many many years ago, when I was a kid (60's mostly), all cars had some cool factor. Some 40's cars were around, but mostly 50's and 60's stuff. All had some cool features or details. Today, in a sea of bellybutton junk, things from that era look even better now than they did then. Bring em all back. PLEASE. Getting stuck in L.A. traffic would be a lot more tolerable. Bring back chrome bumber cars
                Originally posted by Huskinhano
                Just got my issue of Hot Rod's April addition. On page 48 begins the article of AMC's return. As much as I like AMC and would love to see them return, gotta give Hot Rod kudos for a great April fools gag.

Comment

Working...
                X