British Lorries...........................TRUCKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British Lorries...........................TRUCKS

Looking at the Leyland page it appears some models were named after animals,
    Bison, Hippo, Beaver.
    I assume Octopus refers to it being an eight wheeler, dual front axles,preferred by breweries.
    My father called the trailing front axle a "donkey" axle, I don?t know why I never asked.
    >

Comment

Thanks, Malc. One mystery solved. Now about that hat.........

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
        Question, Malc. What is the hat for that Onslow, the bone idle brother-in-law wears on 'Keeping Up Appearances"? I always figured it was the logo for some British tractor or truck company. I'd look up a pic but I'm limping by on this old PC as the MAC is in the shop for more memory.

Dan
        Solving number 2, Onslow?s hat.

"The FH on Onslow's hat stands for Fulton Hogan Ltd., a New Zealand asphalt and road-building company. When Geoffrey Hughes was there promoting a show, he was given that hat by one of the company's lorry drivers."

Anymore you need to know ? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098837/trivia

Comment

Christ Dan,I THOUGHT I was THE ONLY Kook who watched 'Keeping Up Appearances'(on PBS...) :o :D! And yes,Onslow RULES :D! ~J/W.

Comment

ME watched it for a while. After we saw all the episodes we now change the chanel after My Hero, which is my fave. I hate it when the fail to broadcast My Hero - or History Detectives.

I was SO disappointed in the last episode of Keeping Up Appearances. I'd have had Richard quietly get in the car to be quietly joined by Liz (am I remembering the next door neighbor correctly?), and they would have driven away from the whole mess - hopefully to have a quiet and happy old age together.

Dan

Comment

Yes,'Liz' WAS the Neighbor in the Show,along with Her Brother,Emett. Still,Onslow's House was a riot ;D! I watch a lot of BBC/PBS stuff. Mystery is another fav :D. ~J/W.

Comment

Not quite trucks but.............. ;D
                The house they used in the series, I find out now, was
                about one street over from where my parents lived for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                X