Anyone ever part out a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone ever part out a car?

Has anyone priced a good used t56 transmission lately? More than the $1200 for the whole car most places.
    [/quote]

I bought one I found on e-bay, brand new in the crate, for $1700. A guy had it listed for $2500, and no one even bid on it. He lived local, so I sent him a message that if it did not sell I would be interested for the right price. When the ad ran out, he contacted me and we made a deal.

I read in another post you were building a LS1 powered project. Make sure you buy the right one. A LT1 based trans does not work on a LS1 without a few changes.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 ZR2

Has anyone priced a good used t56 transmission lately? More than the $1200 for the whole car most places.
      I bought one I found on e-bay, brand new in the crate, for $1700. A guy had it listed for $2500, and no one even bid on it. He lived local, so I sent him a message that if it did not sell I would be interested for the right price. When the ad ran out, he contacted me and we made a deal.

I read in another post you were building a LS1 powered project. Make sure you buy the right one. A LT1 based trans does not work on a LS1 without a few changes.
      [/quote]
      Thanks for the info but, I have the bellhousing and am ready to buy the input shaft,and midplate. Got such a deal on the bellhousing that I can sell it and profit if I find an LS1 t56.

Comment

My boy Fury Jim has parted out more cars than most people have ever owned!

Comment

Originally posted by 58yeoman
          My boy Fury Jim has parted out more cars than most people have ever owned!
          Put him in touch with me if you don't mind. [email protected]

Comment

I've done several. Usually it was because I wanted the drivetrain so I kept all the really spendy parts. Still, I did OK on them, I think. I had a guy who ran a salvage yard and who knew I was honest so I could always get rid of the schrapnel. Sometimes he'd ask me to cut up the shell so it wasn't a "car" according to the law (I don't know exactly how that reads).

This was all in MI - not sure here in NC. Speaking of which PM me and we'll get together. I'mm in Wilmington.

Dan

Comment

Ditto...the deciding factor was always the condition of the frame/body. And a prev owner who didn't realize that the sum of the parts was worth way more than what he was asking for the entire car (once upon a time there were lots of those). Personal examples incl 70 Mach I, 70 Cyclone GT, 67 Chevelle SS396...just thinking about them makes my head and heart hurt :'(

In the late 70s there was good money to be made in moulding, trim, badging and interior parts (before the resto companies became big players in the hobbie)

And, of course, high perf power and drivetrain components.

Feel guilty about it now, though...partic given that folks will pay phenomenal amounts to restore almost anything with a hint of musclecar pedigree.
              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                I've done several. Usually it was because I wanted the drivetrain so I kept all the really spendy parts.

Dan
                Pretty much like Dan, I usually buy a car for parts based on me using most of the parts. I'm not real patient to waste time waiting for no-shoes of people that cannot man up and say that I want more than they want to or can pay. So the left overs go into the barn and may become usful to me or a friend later. I usually end up doing trades or giving stuff awayinstead of actual cash greasing my palms. LOL I've cut up somany cars with a sawzall that I really cannot remimber the # . Something like15. Almost burned the house down when someone offer me a torch to speed up the process. Usually take 4 blades.

Comment

Working...
                X