so i just inherited a '69 El Camino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: so i just inherited a '69 El Camino

About headers on that car, you may not find any that fit a column shift manual, it gets pretty tight in there. I've always run Hedmans, they are fine for a street exhaust and relatively inexpensive to replace when they get banged up. Three sets of Hedmans over 20 years, each set fit different than the last. The most recent pair had the driver side hanging a full two inches lower than the passenger's (which fit perfectly), I spent a couple hours with a saw and welder and fixed it myself. Is it is possible they make one side lower intentionally now to clear, uh, shift linkage?

In the past I've fit 295-50 15 rear tires on my '70 by rolling the fender lip a bit. FYI '68-'72 El Caminos and wagons are essentially the same as '68-'69 Chevelles at the rr quarters and doors (70-72 Chevelle coupes and 4-doors are different). A '67-earlier rear bolts right in and is an inch-and-a-half narrower, possibly useful for wider wheels/tires.

Have a look at the upper rear shock mounts, the tabs coming out from the frame tend to crack. No big deal to fix.

I love my El Caminos (currently have four). The '70 I've owned since the mid-eighties, it's apart for a fresh BB (mild 402).

This same car has been burgundy (orig), was silver when I got it, I painted it burgundy again in '87 and then white when all the 1980s garbage clearcoat fell off. Paint got better and I shot it burgundy again in '02.

Here it is white, with a BMW Isetta in the back. Gotta love a car that you can haul another car in... ;D

Comment

I just saw one of those BMW Isetta's go for a ton of cash on Speed TV auction (BJ or Mecum) and I'd never even seen one before.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Left side headers that hang lower than the right are to clear the single exhaust type tranny cross member. Hookers are notorious for that. Hedmans has several different part #'s while Hookers are designed to fit Chevelle/Elco, Monte, and Impala.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stmike
          original owner was my wife's grandfather. it's a 350 1bbl / three speed car that he took great care of. interior is a little trashed but the cars never been in an accident and only repainted once. passenger side front fender was replaced with an oem part years ago to fix a dent. dash is uncut. basically this thing is in really nice shape. just needs a repaint and a new interior and then onto the fun stuff.
          You lucky bastard !!
          Enjoy that project, it should be fabulous.
          We expect to see a new thread in the Projects board ....
          ;D

Comment

Flow tech makes about the best clearing headers for chevelles that I have found yet.Coated and not as expensive as a Hooker header.
            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid
              Flow tech makes about the best clearing headers for chevelles that I have found yet.Coated and not as expensive as a Hooker header.
              I hope they have gotten better over the years. I put set on my '76 F-250 about six years ago. They are the worst set of headers I have ever used. Thin mounting flange that I could never get to seal.

Comment

Loren has 4 El-Camino's :o. Loren is greedy ;D ;D ;D ;D! Loren has NO SHAME ;D :D!! ~J/W.

Comment

I made some progress on the El Camino this week. After assesing the cars weak points, which included the brakes, steering, engine, transmission, and rear axle, I poured a can of motor honey into the crankcase, loaded a spare tire and tools into the bed and headed to a friend's shop in Clovis. The engine smokes like I'm James bond behind the wheel and I had to stop a few times to keep the the oil level up.

295 miles and 3 quarts of oil later, I was at PPC Customs for some suspension work.

Before:

After:

It was dark and foggy when I hit the road for home so I dont have any pics of the car on the ground yet. But, I can tell you it steers, stops and handles fantastic. Its got a little vibration at 75 mph that I need to eliminate but I think adjusting the pinion angle via the upper link bars will an easy cure.

I burnt 4 quarts of oil on the return trip, probably because I had the confidence in the disc brakes to go faster and by the time I got home the engine was billowing so much smoke out the exhaust that I parked the car. I can't see driving it again until I rebuild the engine or Al Gore might track me down and beat me over the head with his Internet.

Comment

You need to buy that engine from Mcgann that's listed in our parts for sale section.

Comment

LT4 ELKY! I approve!

Always liked Gen II SBC's.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                      X